Re: A Rather Strange Question - Dutton query

  • Barbara D
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2010
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Angelee" <omoonbeam@...> wrote:

      > Barb, are you related to any of the Dutton's from Kentucky who went west? <

      Oh, thanks for asking, Angelee. So far as I can tell, I'm not.

      My Dutton ancestors lived in Massachusetts, and then in Vermont briefly before coming to western NY state.

      > My family has many skeletons, including the "Rose Gang"
      > of Kentucky and Southwestern Virginia. It is what it is. <

      But these side trips we find make the genealogy searches so much more interesting than they would have been otherwise.

      I was reading about a branch of the Duttons who settled in Hartford, VT. They were dirt poor and suffered immense hardships.

      I, too, lived in Vermont for about 12 years. Vermont is tough enough when one has good shelter, heat, and nutritious food to eat. My hubby and I also had ease of transportation and good medical care.

      Imagine trying to till the soil, as the earliest settlers did, and to raise sufficient food during very, very short growing seasons. The suffering must have been immense.

      Barbara Dutton Brill