Re: [Genealogy Research Club] A Rather Strange Question

  • s
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
      I follow the rule, alive people info is privatized when given to other researchers outside of immediate/close lines....deceased are not.
      I no longer post my info in full, online and have removed from all sites I am allowed to due to the fact by doing so they have permission
      to do what they want with my info, including changing it to non verified info. I take great pains in documenting my info and in a few keystrokes
      they will/can change it because someone says THEY have more correct info (which is not). I am happy however to share with those who have
      a vested interest in shared lines.
      It is not as if no one else can find/know of the info I found, anything I find about my black sheep is available for others to find as well.
      I want a complete, concise account of my ancestry handed down to my descendents...hence I am a proud member of the flock at IBSSG.
      People nowadays (as a whole) are not afraid to have the black sheep of the family outed. Common sense dictates we ALL have them in the tree.
      No one is immune. I have several....prolly as many as most, I just reserhrched deeper is all lol
      Some infamous, some not ....they are all still a part of my heritage and I do not share any blame for what others I never knew did...
      Or even those I did/do know.
      Sunny
      IBSSG

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 4, 2010
        Barb,

        Not a strange question at all.

        I personally would add them to my tree.  Just because we would rather not mention them does not mean that they do not exist.  You don't have to state what they are incarcerated for, but remember, the information is public.  One of my husbands relatives was recently incarcerated and I went online and found out everything, where this person was at, what this person was convicted of, how long the sentence is, there was a picture, and much more.

        We all have skeletons in our closets.  My 4x great grandmother on my fathers side was one the first women to be convicted of murder in Oregon and one of only two women women in prison at the time.  So not very nice.

        Anyway, If you don't want to add them, don't.  As I am only doing my direct ancestry at this time, and the person is not in my direct line, I add the name and dates, but not much detail.  Maybe later I will do so.

        Pam

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
          Barb, are you related to any of the Dutton's from Kentucky who went west? My line were Brethern (aka Dunkards) and they were not allowed to marry outside the faith. Many of these Anabaptist sects went into Pennsylvania for religious freedom and later moved.

          My family has many skeletons, including the "Rose Gang" of Kentucky and Southwestern Virginia. It is what it is.

          Angelee Mullins Fynan

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara D" <bbrill@...> wrote:

          > I was investigating Dutton ancestors when I discovered the family tree of the branch of the Duttons who settled in Pennsylvania. Imagine my surprise to learn that the father disowned four or five of his children for reasons we today would consider very petty indeed. One brother was disowned who had married a person of the Catholic faith, as was his brother who stood up as a witness for him at the wedding, and a sister who attended the wedding.
          >
          > Another son was disowned for playing a game of chance.
          >
          > Yet another for accruing some debts.
          >
          > Life was really hard.
          >
          > Barbara D. Brill

        • Jean
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 5, 2010
            When one starts to research their ancestry, one will discover many skeletons in the closets whose behaviour in their day were not acceptable to their peers, but is not the reason we begin, is to understand our past & learn from it?
            Record everything you have verified be careful not to record family prejudices. even down to the colour they preferred if known it will be treasured in generations to come without judgement.
            I would have nothing if I was judgemental as some of my ancestors were transported for stealing & what was recorded as rape & murder of his good woman but I have since verified it was not as it all seemed.
            record how many times they sneezed in a day, if you know that!!!!

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 6, 2010
              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Angelee" <omoonbeam@...> wrote:

              > Barb, are you related to any of the Dutton's from Kentucky who went west? <

              Oh, thanks for asking, Angelee. So far as I can tell, I'm not.

              My Dutton ancestors lived in Massachusetts, and then in Vermont briefly before coming to western NY state.

              > My family has many skeletons, including the "Rose Gang"
              > of Kentucky and Southwestern Virginia. It is what it is. <

              But these side trips we find make the genealogy searches so much more interesting than they would have been otherwise.

              I was reading about a branch of the Duttons who settled in Hartford, VT. They were dirt poor and suffered immense hardships.

              I, too, lived in Vermont for about 12 years. Vermont is tough enough when one has good shelter, heat, and nutritious food to eat. My hubby and I also had ease of transportation and good medical care.

              Imagine trying to till the soil, as the earliest settlers did, and to raise sufficient food during very, very short growing seasons. The suffering must have been immense.

              Barbara Dutton Brill