Re: confused

  • timothyfcampbell
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 23, 2010
      I found "An Easy Way to Create Genealogy Family Books that You Can Share with Your Family" by Robert Ragan at Treasure Maps Genealogy to be helpful.

      http://amberskyline.com/treasuremaps/genealogy-books/genealogy-family-book.html

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "chilipep_23" <chilitwig2@...> wrote:

      > I am just getting going on our family and i don't know how to go about putting it in book form.
    • JimG
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 26, 2010
        To write a Genealogy book, I highly recommend that you buy one of the genealogy software packages that has a book-making feature. I have used Family Tree Maker (now using 2011) and its book-making feature is excellent. (I do not work for FTM or Ancestry.com.)

        One thing to consider is that, basically, there is only one reason to print a genealogy book. That is to share your research with people who do not have a computer - - - and in that case, you don't need to give them all the information you have in your genealogy computer database. Here is an outline I have used to construct a paper book for a specific relative (called the "Primary" person below):
        * Cover page (title, coat of arms, origin of family name, author, etc.)
        * Table of Contents
        * For the Primary Person
        * An ancestry chart for Grandfather A
        * An ancestry chart for Grandmother A
        * An ancestry chart for Grandfather B
        * An ancestry chart for Grandmother B
        * For each other person (typically 8-12) included in the book:
        * An hourglass chart which shows that person's parents, children, and siblings (typcially only 1 page)
        * An individual reports showing facts, notes, and sources. (typcially only 1 page)
        * A page with small images of documents, photes, & pictures
        * An Index of people references in the book.

        These contents result in a book about 50-60 pages.

        One of the great advantages of this approach of using FTM is that when I add/correct facts in my genealogy database, the book is updated automatically. (This automatic updating even happens on text pages I created as a historical story about the person.)

        Finally, once the book is completed in electronic form, I sometimes upload it to a web site that professionally produces books. I have them made with a spiral binding, a heavier paper cover, in color, and the size is 8 1/2 by 11. The cost per book is about $20. It would be less than $10 if only black and white.

        I hope this helps.

        Jim Grant
        Solon, Ohio