Re:Proving or disproving death at child birth

  • Joy Weaver
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
      Since you are going back to 1794, your best chance is church records.
      If that cemetery is related to a specific church, you should start with
      that one, seeking both the burial record of that woman and baptism
      records for that period (and as much as a year or two later for the
      baptism). If the cemetery is not church-related or if no records for
      this name are found at the related church, you would then have to learn
      what churches existed in or near that town and seek their records.

      It sounds like you are thinking that your ancestor was born to this
      sister-in-law and adopted/ raised by relatives when she died? If so,
      there might also be guardianship records for that town.

      Joy Weaver
      Islip, NY

    • mary.stewart52
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
        Hi Ron! Yes, this is a dilemna! Most states didn't require paperwork on vital records until about a century later ... but some states have kept records in one form or another, and churchs also are a great source for the 18th century.

        Here's the link for the Vermont State Archives, they might have volunteers to do some look-ups for you ...

        http://vermont-archives.org/

        Also, you should check out their church, if you know it ... Google the town, see what churches are in the area, see if one of them knows which churches were around back then.

        Also, here is the Vermont site at USGenWeb ... search thru their files for links, etc ...

        http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vtgenweb/VT_History.htm#Menu

        If I think of any more I'll let you know!

        Keep us updated, OK? Some of us might also have your same problem, but haven't tackled it yet!

        Later!
        Mary