Proving or disproving death at child birth

  • RON FASSETT
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2010
      Hi group, I am brand new here and have been searching and researching my family for about a year and a half. Unfortunately (or fortunately as it were) I have a day job and can not devote the time to this that I would like.

      Anyway, my dilemna. I am trying to link my 3rd great grandfather to the next generation back. There has been extensive research done on the family and I have tried to fit my guy into the puzzle every which way, but I keep disproving the theories in the end. I feel pretty confident that he did not just get "beemed down" but when I get a family identified, the dates do not match up. When I get the dates matched up, the family or location does not match. Taking a shot in the dark, I found a grave (thanks to findagrave.com) in the same town and the same year that my guy was born, for a lady with the same last name who had already given birth to four other children over the years, who was a sister-in-law to whom my warmest path is leading. My question, how does one go about proving or disproving death at child birth for a birth and death that took place in Vermont in 1794?

      And since I am new, please accept my apologies if this issue has been discussed in the past and point me in the general direction. Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
    • Joy Weaver
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
        Since you are going back to 1794, your best chance is church records.
        If that cemetery is related to a specific church, you should start with
        that one, seeking both the burial record of that woman and baptism
        records for that period (and as much as a year or two later for the
        baptism). If the cemetery is not church-related or if no records for
        this name are found at the related church, you would then have to learn
        what churches existed in or near that town and seek their records.

        It sounds like you are thinking that your ancestor was born to this
        sister-in-law and adopted/ raised by relatives when she died? If so,
        there might also be guardianship records for that town.

        Joy Weaver
        Islip, NY

      • mary.stewart52
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
          Hi Ron! Yes, this is a dilemna! Most states didn't require paperwork on vital records until about a century later ... but some states have kept records in one form or another, and churchs also are a great source for the 18th century.

          Here's the link for the Vermont State Archives, they might have volunteers to do some look-ups for you ...

          http://vermont-archives.org/

          Also, you should check out their church, if you know it ... Google the town, see what churches are in the area, see if one of them knows which churches were around back then.

          Also, here is the Vermont site at USGenWeb ... search thru their files for links, etc ...

          http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vtgenweb/VT_History.htm#Menu

          If I think of any more I'll let you know!

          Keep us updated, OK? Some of us might also have your same problem, but haven't tackled it yet!

          Later!
          Mary

        • Peakcat@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2010
            Ron:

            You don't mention what sources you have used but the two you might try are
            Ancestry.com and the LDS Mormon site. Ancestry is a paid site so you might
            want to check and see if your local library has a subscription that their
            members can use on a computer in their facility and either print out what
            you find that you think might belong or take a flash drive with you to
            download the information. The LDS Mormon site is also free and search LDS
            Mormon's to find the info you might want. They have the largest collection of
            records anywhere. If your family came from somewhere in Europe try and find the
            ship manifest so you have an idea of what year to start with. That can be
            found on Ancestry.com also.

            Good luck and good hunting.

            Ina Getzoff
            _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)