Please tell me how you would proceed

  • Stan Arney
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 7, 2010
      I have a question about, how you would proceed, given the following
      predicaments:

      Brick wall of Jacob Arney

      Jacob Arney died in Lincoln County, North Carolina, in 1784

      Jacob Arney’s will, only mentions his wife, Elizabeth, and children (no
      specific child).

      Jacob Arney moved his family, from Pennsylvania to North Carolina in
      1767.

      Jacob Arney’s son, Christian Arney, Sr., was born in York(town), York
      County, Pennsylvania, in 1750.

      It’s not believed that Elizabeth was Jacob’s first (or only) wife.

      The “brick wall” is trying to find information on Jacob Arney, when he
      lived in Pennsylvania.

      The Pennsylvania State Archives Series renders no information.

      Where would you start looking, to try to find information, on Jacob
      Arney?

      Brick wall of Peter Arney (son of Jacob Arney)

      Peter Arney was (supposedly) born in Tryon County, North Carolina, in
      1772 [No documentation has been found].

      In 1787, Peter Arney, orphan son of Jacob Arney, dec’d, age 15, was
      bound over to John Fullenwider, until the age of 21.

      Between 1790-1793, Peter Arney moved to the area of Wythe County,
      Virginia, where he married Margaret (surname unknown), and began his family.

      [Note:  I have found no
      documentation of Peter Arney’s marriage (in Wythe County, Virginia), nor any
      documentation of any of his children’s births in Wythe County, Virginia]

      Around 1799, Peter Arney moved to the Cumberland area of Kentucky.

      Around 1801, Peter Arney moved into the area of Smith County,
      Tennessee.

      1801, Peter Arney’s signature is found on a petition to halt the
      annexation of Wilson & Smith Counties in Tennessee to form a new
      county.  This apparently failed.

      1802, Peter Arney is found of the tax roll of Jackson County, Tennessee
      (which was formed from Smith County)

      1814, Peter Arney purchases 300 acres of land, in Overton County,
      Tennessee, from John Sevier (the 1st Governor of Tennessee).

      It “appears” that Peter Arney lived in the same location (from
      1800-1814), only the boundaries and therefore counties changed, during that
      time frame.

      [Note:  I have found no
      documentation of any of Peter Arney’s children born in Tennessee]

      Peter Arney lived in Overton County, Tennessee, from (at least) 1814
      until his death in 1845.

      Peter Arney’s name appears on the US Federal Census for Tennessee (in
      Overton County) for the years 1820-1840.

      In 1840, it lists his age between 70-80, which would place his birth
      year between 1760-1770.

      In 1830, it lists his age between 50-60, which would place his birth
      year between 1770-1780.

      I would like to find a map, showing exactly where Peter Arney’s
      original land purchase was in Overton County, TN.

      I would also like to find a map, showing all lands Peter Arney owned at
      the time of his death, in 1845.

      I would also like to find proof of his marriage, and proof of the
      births/baptism of any of his children.

      Besides the Census, what other documentation could I expect to find on
      Peter Arney?

      Tax Rolls, other land deals (sales/purchases), etc.

      Peter Arney was probably buried where Dale Hollow Lake was
      created.  Therefore, his grave marker
      (may or may not) have been moved, with the “unknown graves”.

      Part of Peter Arney’s land, still exists to this day (believe it or
      not).

      I was told that a person was taken there (several years ago), they had
      to travel by boat, over a lake, because that was the only way to get to it
      (suggesting it was probably an island).
      The person could not remember the name of the lake, and is not reachable
      (either in a Senior Center or passed away) anymore.

      My best guess is she was talking about “County Line Island” in
      Tennessee, the actual borders of Pickett and Clay Counties cross on that island,
      which was once part of Overton County.

      How, the person taking her, knew it was Peter Arney’s land, in not
      known.

      Is there something still on the island that defines it as Peter’s?

      Or was it just information “passed down”

      How would you proceed to find answers to these questions?

    • Stan Arney
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 15, 2010
        Hi,
        I have a Q?, for all of you.
        How can I get others involved, in my research?
        What I mean by that, is this:
        I have been doing my Arney family genealogy research for decades, alone.With the advent of the Internet, the cooperation of other Arney researchers, exploded about 10 years ago.  They were in forums, message boards, groups, etc.However, about 3-4 years ago, all of it came to a quick screeching halt.Many of those researchers (from 10 years ago) are no longer accessible.Whether they simply left the Internet, went into "assisted living facilities" or"passed away", is unknown.  These were the enthusiastic researchers, whoenjoyed doing the research, sharing information and ideas, and had the willingnessto help others.
        Even though, there are still existing forums, groups, message boards, mailing lists, etc.There seems to be no one actively doing this specific research, that I can find.
        I have posted, on these sites, imploring for people to speak up, to announcetheir willingness to get involved and to help try to answer the questions, thathave yet to be resolved, to solve the biggest mysteries, etc.Alas, all of my attempts have fallen on "deaf cyber ears".
        I have even joined forums, message boards, groups, mailing lists, etc.outside of my specific research, trying to implore assistance in solvingquestions, I have been unable to resolve or solve, by myself.Alas, still even these attempts, have come up empty.
        I do not have the financial resources, to travel the country, going tospecific county archives, courthouses, libraries, etc.
        I had hoped, that the Internet, would bring access to people, who hada common mission, and would work together to solve these mysteries,but so far, I can see, I'm probably 10 years too late.
        Any possible suggestions, would be vastly appreciated.
        Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.

      • s
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 15, 2010
          I'd guess this is because 10 yrs ago there was a huge boom in genealogists posting their info, prolly the majority. As younger generations mature they will add theirs too, right now the majority of researchers are mature and have already posted their info with no need to post more unless someone posts a Q they can answer.
          I myself am done with my researching in earnest and don't visit boards any longer but have offers on there to help others if they need it with either the black sheep searches I offer or info on my own lines one may share.
          Not all searchers are interested in nailing info on every single name on their lists as they r huge; just interested in closer lines.
          Also, many people stopped participating in Ancestry and affiliated boards after the fiasco in the news a couple yrs ago.
          Suggestions? Just keep posting your queries and patiently wait for the next wave of interest pops up.
          Sunny

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 15, 2010
            also, do you use RAOGK or other resources that offer volunteers?

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
              Sunny, what do you mean by the "fiasco at Ancestry a couple years ago"?

              Scott

              Re: How can I get others involved
              Posted by: "s" circa_1948@...   circa_1948
              Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:10 pm (PST)

[...]

            • barbara erickson
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
                Have you gone to a LDS Library? They have information on cd's that might help.
                Barb

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
                  Stan:

                  This is a suggestion that might or might not work. If you have e-mail
                  addresses for some of the people who you think might still be alive,
                  send anything new you might find, even the smallest bit of information
                  and possibly a family member might just perk up and say "let's see
                  where this goes" and before you know it you might have someone
                  interested who might then get someone else interested. If, of course,
                  nothing happens in a few months, then I would just give up and keep at
                  it yourself. I know it is more fun if you have co-partners working with
                  you but many times people don't have the time or interest until it is
                  too late and then they say "I wish I had.....".

                  Good luck.

                  Ina Getzoff
                  Peakcat@...