Heimatsortkartei

  • mark_f_rabideau
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2010
      Hello all!

      A Heimatsortskartei was set up in post WW2 Germany for the purpose of identifying and locating people in the catastrophic aftermath and destruction of WW2. Finding loved ones and discovering their fate was essential. The Heimatortskartei provided hope and was the resource. Although these files may not be readily accessible in Germany because of the infamous Datenschutz -data protection laws; they are available through the LDS Church Archives. I have posted more about the use of the Heimatsortkartei and related sites at:

      http://many-roads.com/2010/10/02/heimatsortskartei-a-true-history/

      mfg
      ...mark
    • Melva Maguire
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2010
        I wonder whether you can help - I am trying to find birth records for my family who originate from the Brandenburg area - do you know whether there are any such records and if so, how to access them?     I am trying to find my 4x g.grandfather who I think was born in Brandenburg in 1697.   The family name is von Printzen.