Re: Organization of information

  • threebs1984
    Message 1 of 36 , Aug 8, 2010
      Hello,
      I usually read everything but do not reply. I wanted to reply to your message because I have searched for 23 years and feel that I have finally came up with a way to organize my data. I also am very OCD when it comes to organization, I also never had anyone give me pointers on what to do. My system is color coded hanging file folders. I am looking for both sides of my family so I use blue for my dad's fathers line (Odom), Yellow for my dad's Mothers line (Cash), Red for my mother's father (Baxley), and Green for my mom's mother (Enlow). As the generations go back I make sure to use the male as the color choice. For example on my dad's father's side a Zedikiah Odom married Louisa Leisure they are placed in a blue folder. Remember any name associated with the Odom line will be blue. For example Louisa Leisure married Zedikiah Odom her parents are automatically placed in a blue folder because they are with the Odom line.

      To take this method further I use manilla insert folders for each of their children(except my direct line they get a new color coded hanging file folder) in order to hold their fact sheets I use two of them in each folder one for the males and one for the females. I also place a color coded dot on the tab of these manilla folders so I know which line I am working with. (I know that you can buy colored insert folders to match but they are beyond my budget right now). (I tape the family group sheet in the back inside hanging file folder so I do not have to search for it when needed, because this folder will hold everything on this couple such as birth, marriage, death certificates, tombstone photo's, etc). I place everything in a portable file storage box and have everything at reach. I also have folders in my box with extra blank census forms, generation forms, family group sheets, etc. An nice pencil pouch holds all of my writing utensils and extras including change for copies.

      I hope this helps you a little bit. I also what to stress to everyone to please do not rely on Ancestry.com and other sites for complete truth in your family lines. I have found plenty of mistakes in almost every site. You have to go out there and dig around in order to find true facts. Search at the library and vital stats office's for proof that these are your relatives. Make sure to have copies of birth, marriage, and death certificates, also census records for each person in your files. It would be a shame to search for years then find out you have the wrong family or person. I guess what I am saying is to take some of these sites with a grain of salt and put some work into finding the true story of you life.
      Happy Hunting!
      Cindy

    • rdhowell71@bellsouth.net
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 10, 2010
        FTM 2010 is attached to Ancestry.com as Ancestry.com owns the rights to the software. You can save a GEDCOM to a flash drive but you just can't open it up from the flash drive when working with FTM 2010. The file has to be copied to the hard drive of the computer that has FTM 2010 on it.

        Peace
        Roger