Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Genealogy Programs/Gwen

  • dsanfilippo303@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 1, 2010
      Gwen -

      I am one of the 'original' Roots Magic users... and I used their other software before Roots Magic... and I started by using the demo.

      I have at least 14 or 15 ancestors behind some a few of my lines, and had a lot more before I broke the 'royal' link after finding it incorrect - and I had taken that huge royalty file and entered each one... several files, but that was until I became rabid about having 'proof', so now my lines are not as long. However I do have almost each of my lines back to the original immigrant... and multiple Rev. War soldiers... and many even earlier.

      Go for Roots Magic - their list is SO informative and its very active... and if you have a problem and its not in their archives (and a few are not...) you can join the list and ask send a query. Your email will be answered... oh, and the creator of Roots Magic is on the list!

      Diane S
      I noticed with the Roots Magic trial version you only get to enter about 6 generations so I looked to see about buying the full version but it says you can do 7 generations.  I know I have to be doing that wrong because whose tree, if you are a true researcher would only go back 7 generations?  Any help on what I am doing wrong?  Thanks Gwen...

    • JimG
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 26, 2010
        To write a Genealogy book, I highly recommend that you buy one of the genealogy software packages that has a book-making feature. I have used Family Tree Maker (now using 2011) and its book-making feature is excellent. (I do not work for FTM or Ancestry.com.)

        One thing to consider is that, basically, there is only one reason to print a genealogy book. That is to share your research with people who do not have a computer - - - and in that case, you don't need to give them all the information you have in your genealogy computer database. Here is an outline I have used to construct a paper book for a specific relative (called the "Primary" person below):
        * Cover page (title, coat of arms, origin of family name, author, etc.)
        * Table of Contents
        * For the Primary Person
        * An ancestry chart for Grandfather A
        * An ancestry chart for Grandmother A
        * An ancestry chart for Grandfather B
        * An ancestry chart for Grandmother B
        * For each other person (typically 8-12) included in the book:
        * An hourglass chart which shows that person's parents, children, and siblings (typcially only 1 page)
        * An individual reports showing facts, notes, and sources. (typcially only 1 page)
        * A page with small images of documents, photes, & pictures
        * An Index of people references in the book.

        These contents result in a book about 50-60 pages.

        One of the great advantages of this approach of using FTM is that when I add/correct facts in my genealogy database, the book is updated automatically. (This automatic updating even happens on text pages I created as a historical story about the person.)

        Finally, once the book is completed in electronic form, I sometimes upload it to a web site that professionally produces books. I have them made with a spiral binding, a heavier paper cover, in color, and the size is 8 1/2 by 11. The cost per book is about $20. It would be less than $10 if only black and white.

        I hope this helps.

        Jim Grant
        Solon, Ohio