Fw: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: More help on DNA please - kel

  • Erick Hoeman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2010
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Erick Hoeman <allages4us2002@...>
      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, July 25, 2010 7:24:14 PM
      Subject: Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: More help on DNA please - EH

      This was in Az.Republic paper: DNA test industry faces GEO scrutiny.. companies
      that sell personalized genetic test to consumer were dealt a major setback last
      week after an undercover federal probe found the tests misleading and
      contradictory. A Government Accountability Office investigation found that DNA
      samples sent to four unnamed companies yield conflicting predictions about
      disease risk. The assessments often differed with donors' own illness and family
      medical histories. Companies such as 23and Me and Pathway Genomics that sell DNA
      tests directly to consumers have been around for years,but the industry has
      attracted federal scrutiny in recent months. Five GAO staffers submitted DNA
      samples to four companies and the results varied greatly. One donor with a
      pacemaker implanted for an irregular heartbeat was told him he faced a
      below-average risk for developing heart trouble. A colon-cancer survivor was
      told he was at average risk of developing the disease. Two companies sold
      nutritional supplements that were little more that multivitamins. The
      investigation cited experts who debunked claims by companies that test and
      supplements can help repair damaged DNA or even predict a child's prospects for
      athletic success. One reason the risk-test results varied so much is that
      companies used varying methods to predict disease risk. All the companies used
      genetic markers discovered through computerized DNA scans known as genomewide
      association tests. But the direct-to-consumer companies have few common
      standards on which and how many genetic markers should be used to assess risk.
      One company used five genetic markers for its prostate cancer test while another
      used 18 markers. The test are pricey, too Federal investigators paid $299 to
      $999 for the test that yielded conflicting information 70 percent of the time.
      The report suggested that three federal agencies- Food and Drug
      Administration,federal Trade Commission and Centers for Disease Control and
      Prevention- establish industry standards and public oversight of the burgeoning
      industry. So you wonder what other issues would happen in your final test
      results will be!! I was just wondering and thinking myself.... genealogical
      speaking.