searching for parents/ancestors of gr-gr-grandfather Friedrich William Wockenfus

  • Maggie
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2010
      I've been trying to find ancestors of my gr-gr-grandfather Friedrich William Wockenfuss, but I keep hitting brick walls, most of which cost an arm and a leg for people to search for the information which may or may not be found. I've asked my grandparents if they knew any more, and all the information they have, I have too. If anyone has any information that can help me, I'd be so grateful. Here's what I have on Friedrich and his family.

      Friedrich was born on August 17, 1838 in Strasburg, Germany and died January 29, 1906 in Baltimore, Maryland. He had at least two siblings: Herman Julius (or Julius Herman) Wockenfuss, born June 12 1842 in Brumburgh, Germany which is now part of Poland, died April 14 1929 in Glen Burnie, Maryland; and Wilhelmina Ernestina Wockenfuss born on December 10 1846 in West Prussia and died 1933.

      Friedrich's first wife was Wilhelmina Witkowki, who was born in West Prussia. They had six children, five of whom died in Germany along with Wilhelmina, leaving one son Gustav Ernst (born 1868). Friedrich then married Augusta Fredericka Ristau in 1874. They had seven children, three of whom were born in Germany, the rest in Baltimore, Maryland.

      Helen Augusta - January 27 1875, in Germany; died April 11 1950 in Maryland
      Johannas Philemon - 1877, Germany; died 1944, Glen Burnie, Maryland
      Paul Frederick - April 18, 1882 in Prussia, Germany

      Five months after Paul was born, Friedrich sailed to America to get a job and find a home for his family, who followed him eight months later on May 26 1883. Augusta brought her three children and Gustav, who was fifteen at the time. After reaching Maryland they had four more sons:

      William Frederick - born 1884, Baltimore, Maryland
      Carl Henry - born Dec 21 1886, Baltimore; died Sept 27, 1953
      Louis Martin (my g-grandfather) - born January 22, 1888, Baltimore; died Oct 23 1962, Baltimore
      Edward John Conrad - born November 29 1890; died January 4 1966

      I suppose I didn't really need to include all of that... Either way, if someone could help me find the parents of Friedrich and his siblings, I'd be so grateful.

      ~ Mary Wockenfuss