Disappearing Ancestor ???

  • uzzk23a
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2010
      Would appreciate any suggestions on where/how to search for my ancestor during a specific time period.

      I have his 1897 Ellis Island immigration from Sicily via a ship's manifest.
      He was a 12 year old boy, named Tommaso Margiotta (mis-indexed as "Margitta, Tomso")
      He came over without his parents - not sure why.
      Ship's Manifest said: "Whether going to join a relative: father Antonio"
      But ... his Atti di Nascita from Sciacca, Agrigento, Italy (b. 1885) says his father was Stefano Margiotta (b. 1854 in Sciacca).
      Not sure whether "Antonio" was an alternate name for his father, or maybe his sponsor's name ? Who became more like a father to him ?
      Family stories never mentioned his father ever being in the US - but rather that young Tommaso had a sponsor here.

      At some critical juncture, young Tommaso was asked for his name. He thought they were asking for his sponsor's name, and responded with a name that sounded like "Q-LEE-OH". From that point onward, his last name became "Cular".

      I have his 1906 marriage record from his Catholic Church in New Jersey.
      He is named Thomas Cular - and that was his name for the rest of his life.
      I can find him in the Census from 1910 onward, as Thomas Cular.

      But ... in that span from 1897 to 1906 (age 12 to age 21), I'm trying to find him - to find out who raised him, and who his sponsor was.

      Searches in the US for his father (as either Stefano Margiotta or Antonio Margiotta) yield people the wrong age or with the wrong spouse.
      I've tried searches for Tommaso/Thomas/Antonio Culeo and all sorts of other spelling variations of surnames that might sound like "Q-LEE-OH", and have come up empty.

      Any suggestions for how to find him during 1897-1906 ?
      Were records kept whether he indeed was officially handed off to his father ? or to a sponsor ?
      Were records kept of sponsors for immigrants ? (he never applied for naturalization, never learned to read or write so far as I can tell)

      His little 8 year old sister, Nunzia, came on the ship with him: Nunzia Margiotta b. 1889 Sciacca, Agrigento, Italy.
      I'm pretty sure I found her marriage record:
      Groom's Name: Vincenzo Montalbane
      Bride's Name: Nunziata Magiotta
      Marriage Date: 06 Oct 1907
      Marriage Place: Manhattan, New York, New York
      Groom's Father's Name: Leonardo
      Groom's Mother's Name: Leonarda Tortorici
      Bride's Father's Name: Stefano
      Bride's Mother's Name: Giuseppa Licata
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00590-8
      System Origin: New_York-ODM
      Source Film Number: 1452207
      Collection: New York Marriages, 1686-1980

      But .. similarly have not been able to find any further trace of her !