More help on DNA please

  • itsaboutclay
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
      I was just looking at the DNA tests on Ancestry.com and it says that a female cannot be tested as to her father's lineage but her brother, if she had one, could. However, a male can be tested for the paternal or maternal lines. We are trying to find out her percentages of ethnicity and unfortunately her father was the last male in the line. Is there any way to get her ethnicity which would include her paternal line? First, can she and her sister take a DNA test and at least prove they both had the same father or is that impossible? There is no way to et DNA from the father because he is deceased and cremated. Are females just out of luck when it comes to DNA other than getting their maternal line? Help...Marsha
    • Peggie Culbertson
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
        that my probalm , i am last one left execpt for a cousin. can i get the test and what will it  bring. my son all i have left and both have different dad. peggie

        I was just looking at the DNA tests on Ancestry.com and it says that a female cannot be tested as to her father's lineage but her brother, if she had one, could. However, a male can be tested for the paternal or maternal lines. We are trying to find out her percentages of ethnicity and unfortunately her father was the last male in the line. Is there any way to get her ethnicity which would include her paternal line? First, can she and her sister take a DNA test and at least prove they both had the same father or is that impossible? There is no way to et DNA from the father because he is deceased and cremated. Are females just out of luck when it comes to DNA other than getting their maternal line? Help...Marsha

      • Jenni
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
          Hi and great question!  I have the very same issues as my father is deceased.
          Can anyone answer this for us? : )

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
            I have found a son of my husband's sister who married into a totally French Canadian line so this is my best chance of getting a good ancestral tribe breakdown. Both of my daughters are going to do the DNA test, but their cousin I believe will give us a purer line. Unfortunately my husbands ancestors in these later generations had mostly daughters and my husband was the last male of the line so we have to find these alternate means...Marsha

[...]

          • circa_1948
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
              While we may be the 'last' of an immediate line, we are never the 'last'. There are many lines in our heritage we never even know abt or ever will. That is unless we have a copy of lineage started from before recorded history which would be hard to do. The majority of us have lineage to royalty (which consist of huge lines), blacksheep (past generations never admitted to) and numerous other genres we never will be privy to. After 40+ yrs researching, I am satisfied with my hunt; now my main focus on my lineage at this point are my black sheep ancestors (a few infamous) and they make the hunt much more interesting :-) Having collected so many resources/archives over the years, I also do lookups for others.
              Sunny

[...]

            • Meagan C
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
                These links may help you understand:
                http://genealogy.about.com/cs/geneticgenealogy/a/dna_tests.htm
                scroll to the Y Line Tests section.
                http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/paternal-maternal-test.aspx

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
                  ok then ,you are sying for me it wouldn,t work. i am the only one left as i was saying execpt for a cousin and my sons. my cousin said he couldn,t aford it and i know mysons couldn,t

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 20, 2010
                    If I may interject  ...
                    It is my understanding that the current DNA testing currently available for genealogical purposes does not give a breakdown of ethnicity no matter who takes the test.
                    The way it was explained to me ...
                    If a man with the last name of Jones, as an example, takes the test, he may learn more about only his direct Jones line, but really only if more Jones men in his own line have also taken the test.  There needs to be something already 'on file' to be compared to.  Now if that someone else can prove the line further back, then you're in luck,  If not, you're not much closer than you were before, except you've found a cousin or 2..
                    I believe that ethnicity testing might be available, but it has to get down much deeper in the DNA and so is probably very expensive and probably takes time.
                    Thanx for listening!
                    Mary

                    From: Meagan C <xdaysofyouthx@...>

                    To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Tuesday, July 20, 2010, 2:30 PM

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 21, 2010
                      It is my understanding that although women can only be tested for the
                      female line using mtDNA and men can be tested for both parental lines
                      using both mtDNA and yDNA, the tests for percent of ethnicity do not use
                      those same DNA sections. (Nor do the tests for paternity that are run
                      on baby girls, BTW).

                      Check with the companies that provide the ethnicity testing about this.

                      Joy Weaver

                    • cmazerov2007@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 21, 2010
                        Family Tree DNA has a new test that can test all of the lines for males and females.  You can get information from all 16 of your grandparents.  It is called the Family Finder Test and is $289.  The only thing negative about it is that you don't know what line your match may come from, so you have to check with the person you are matching with to see what the surname is from your match.  So, while the Y-dna test is only for males and for one surname, this test will give a female matches for her surname and grandparents surnames.  There is also another company that has a test called 23 and me that is very similar.  People seem to be getting matches from the tests back to 5th cousins.  I have not taken the test myself but plan to in the future.

                        Connie

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 21, 2010
                          This is very interesting!  What is the company that has the 23 and me   DNA
                          test?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 21, 2010
                            Okay, so if my two daughters subject themselves to the DNA test for tribal reasons, what are you saying it would prove? Only that they are or are or are not sisters? I have heard, in the case of African American's in particular, that they have traced their tribal ancestry back to their Country of origin. How did they come to that conclusion since they couldn't go further back to find a comparison? Were they comparing the DNA of the current person to someone in every African Country to see which they most aligned with? I guess I am confused, thanks...Marsha