Re: [Genealogy Research Club] confused/Genealogy Programs

  • george burnash
    Message 1 of 35 , Jul 19 10:13 AM
      Heh, now you're going to get hit with a bunch of recommendations. :)

      I personally use Rootsmagic and absolutely love it. Easy to use, easy
      to understand, and very powerful. It'll make books, cd's, and can also
      help you build your own website if you so desire.

      My advice is to try out several of the leading programs. Most of them
      have demos or free versions (Rootsmagic has a completely free light
      version of the program). Play with them a bit and see which one you
      like the best, then run with it.

      George

      --
      ------------------------------------
      With God, life is one thrill ride you'll never want to get off of.
      Message 35 of 35 , Oct 26, 2010
        To write a Genealogy book, I highly recommend that you buy one of the genealogy software packages that has a book-making feature. I have used Family Tree Maker (now using 2011) and its book-making feature is excellent. (I do not work for FTM or Ancestry.com.)

        One thing to consider is that, basically, there is only one reason to print a genealogy book. That is to share your research with people who do not have a computer - - - and in that case, you don't need to give them all the information you have in your genealogy computer database. Here is an outline I have used to construct a paper book for a specific relative (called the "Primary" person below):
        * Cover page (title, coat of arms, origin of family name, author, etc.)
        * Table of Contents
        * For the Primary Person
        * An ancestry chart for Grandfather A
        * An ancestry chart for Grandmother A
        * An ancestry chart for Grandfather B
        * An ancestry chart for Grandmother B
        * For each other person (typically 8-12) included in the book:
        * An hourglass chart which shows that person's parents, children, and siblings (typcially only 1 page)
        * An individual reports showing facts, notes, and sources. (typcially only 1 page)
        * A page with small images of documents, photes, & pictures
        * An Index of people references in the book.

        These contents result in a book about 50-60 pages.

        One of the great advantages of this approach of using FTM is that when I add/correct facts in my genealogy database, the book is updated automatically. (This automatic updating even happens on text pages I created as a historical story about the person.)

        Finally, once the book is completed in electronic form, I sometimes upload it to a web site that professionally produces books. I have them made with a spiral binding, a heavier paper cover, in color, and the size is 8 1/2 by 11. The cost per book is about $20. It would be less than $10 if only black and white.

        I hope this helps.

        Jim Grant
        Solon, Ohio