can anyone help

  • chilipep_23
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 19, 2010
      I have looked everywhere i know of so far...and like i said i don't know alot yet about all this but i am stuck onmy great grandfather all i have is naem: Rafael G Lucero who married Amada Alarcon born 1860-died 1942..other than that all i have on him is he was mentioned in a book, 'Tales of the Sangre de Cristos'--Frontiersman of New Mexico Lawmen...how do i find if possible his parents and sibs where born and all..and info on his 6 children of which i only have names??
      I should say...without having to pay a fee as i have no money! Are there available places ?
    • r_c_boss
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 19, 2010
        A couple of things come to minf.

        1) Do a Google search using different varients on name, book, state. You mioght get lisky that way.

        2) Use the USDENWEB sites for the various countries in New Mexico. They are very very helpful.

        3) Try posting on name and location bulletin boards (Genealogy, Ancestry, Rootsweb eyc). Those can be very helpful.

        The best thing is all of these methods are free. Try them out

        Bib

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 19, 2010
          Thank you... Kate sent me the info and FAST... i will see now if i can find the same type of info on the children of my g=grandfather..appreciate the help

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, r_c_boss <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > A couple of things come to minf.
          >

          > 1) Do a Google search using different varients on name, book, state. You mioght get lisky that way.
          >
          > 2) Use the USDENWEB sites for the various countries in New Mexico. They are very very helpful.
          >
          > 3) Try posting on name and location bulletin boards (Genealogy, Ancestry, Rootsweb eyc). Those can be very helpful.
          >
          > The best thing is all of these methods are free. Try them out
          >
          > Bib
          >
          > --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "chilipep_23" <chilitwig2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have looked everywhere i know of so far...and like i said i don't know alot yet about all this but i am stuck onmy great grandfather all i have is naem: Rafael G Lucero who married Amada Alarcon born 1860-died 1942..other than that all i have on him is he was mentioned in a book, 'Tales of the Sangre de Cristos'--Frontiersman of New Mexico Lawmen...how do i find if possible his parents and sibs where born and all..and info on his 6 children of which i only have names??
          > > I should say...without having to pay a fee as i have no money! Are there available places ?

        • Bloodhound; Kermit
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 19, 2010
            1910 Aguila, San Miguel, New Mexico (indexed as LUCERA)
            Lucero, Rafael G/48/farmer, Amada/45,
            - married.1 30 yrs, 9 children 5 living
            (), Arnutina/16, Manuel C/14, Victoria/25/daughter/widow/4:4child,
            Mora, Guadalupe A/6, Jose F/5, Amada/4, Maximiliam/2 (grandchildren)

            1900 El Aguilar, San Miguel, New Mexico
            Lusero, Rafael, head 39 married 20 yrs born Oct 1860 NM farmer
            (), Amada, wife 35 married 20 yrs born Sept 1864, 9 children 5 living
            (), Jose D/18, Victoria/14, Teresa/11, Florentina L/7, Manuel/5

            1920 Las Vegas, San Miguel, New Mexico
            Lucus, Rafael G/57, Amada A/55, Florentina/27
            Mora, Jose F/14, Amada/13, Maximiliano/12, Mercedes/8 (grandchildren)
            Rael, Clofes/3 (grandchild)

            This looks like a possible fit -
            1880 San Miguel County, New Mexico
            Lucero, Rafel/19/farmer, Armada/15, married, both born NM
            (adjacent to household of)
            Lucero, Ronaldo/61/married, Marie A/24/wife, Ocala/4/dau
            (also adjacent to household of)
            Lucero, Higinio(?)/30/farmer/married, Teresa V/27/wife
            (and on same censuspage as)
            Lucero, Encarnation/31(?)/farmer, Hignine(?)/27/wife,
            (), Savero/11/son, Benina/6/dau, Bisabela/2/dau, Francisco/1m/son

            In 1870 San Miguel County (NM), there are 2 possible Rafael LUCERO
            (without looking at any spelling variants), but one of them has some of the same names as appear in 1880 (see above) -
            1870 Hatchs Ranch, San Miguel, New Mexico Territory
            Lucero, Romualdo(Ronualdo), 53
            (), M'a de los Angeles/15, Higinio/20, Pedro C/16, Rafael/8
            (across 2 census pages - many other LUCERO households)
            NOTE: "M'a de los Angeles/15" could be same as "Maria A/24" in 1880.

            I'm not sure about this one, but you did say "Lawman" -
            Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
            1931 > October > 20 > page 1 (columns 6-7)
            BOWIE KNIFE ONCE CARRIED BY BILLY THE KID,
            MUSKET WITH 23 NOTCHES, GIVEN TO UNIVERSITY
            The bowie knife once carried by Billy the Kid, and lost by the famous young New Mexico outlaw in a horse wager at Las Vegas [New Mexico?], has been discovered by Arthur L Campa, university professor ...
            Still sturdy and serviceable, for many years the knife has been used by Rafael Lucero, former state mounted policeman now living on a ranch near El Pine, a little settlement some 20(?) miles from las Vegas [New Mexico]. About two years ago Mr. Campa heard of the whereabouts of the weapon ... [story continues for many column-inches]
            <http://search.ancestry.com/browse/view.aspx?dbid=51047&iid=News-NE-AL_JO-1931_10_20-0001&rc=75,2463,138,2488;2067,1663,2150,1692;2405,1458,2483,1483;2496,1458,2587,1483&pid=488460289&ssrc=&fn=raf*L&ln=lucero&st=g>

            NOTE: there are other newspaper references that I did not check to see if they refer to 'your' Rafael Lucero.

            - Tom Knox

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 19, 2010
              Victoria Lucero, daughter of Rafael Lucero and Amada Maes
              http://www.gurulefamily.org/ancestry/families/dbase/familyone/wga26.html#I3565

              La Herencia Vol. 39 Fall 2003
              El Condenado a Muerte
              http://www.scribd.com/doc/22675721/La-Herencia-Vol-39-Fall-2003
              For years, the poem El Condenado a Muerte has been touted by New Mexico Hispanics as the oldest corrido in the state. The late University of New Mexico professor Dr. Arthur L. Campa, in one of his books, ... At the top of the page one reads: "24. El condenado a muerte Recited by Rafael Lucero, 85 years old, El Pino, N.M." ...
              NOTE:
              two names from the previous message: Dr. Campa and Rafael Lucero.

              - Tom Knox

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 19, 2010
                AWESOME...thanks.. their names with the children i have, is listed there..but with more..Jose which is my grandfather and Victoria, Guadalup,Teresita, Florentina and Manuel..
                Thank you so much...

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 19, 2010
                  WOW...i've been reading ..most things i have deciphered and put it together..you took me back to gr gr gr grandfather how very awesome! and family for Rafael at 8 years old..you don't know how excited i am and how very much i thank you..makes me want to have more!! I so appreciate your time..and yes that was my lawman grandfather...
                  gosh--thanks

                • Valeri Gunn
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 20, 2010
                    I did find information on a death certificate for him...
                    Name: Rafael G Lucero
                    Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Death Death: 13 Aug 1942
                    Death Place: New Mexico
                    Gender: Male
                    Race (Original):
                    Race (Expanded):
                    Age at Death: 82
                    Estimated Birth Year: 1860
                    Birth Date:
                    Birthplace:
                    Marital Status:
                    Spouse's Name: Amada Alarcon
                    Spouse's Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Spouse's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Father's Name: Rumaldo Lucero
                    Father's Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Father's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Father's Birthplace:
                    Mother's Name: Maria L Gonzales
                    Mother's Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Mother's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Mother's Birthplace:
                    Occupation:
                    Street Address:
                    Residence:
                    Cemetery:
                    Burial Place:
                    Burial Date:
                    Funeral Home:
                    Informant:
                    Collection: New Mexico Deaths, 1889-1945

                    Here is also some information on one of their children:
                    Name: Florenta L Castillo
                    Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Death Death: 20 Aug 1942
                    Death Place: New Mexico
                    Gender: Female
                    Race (Original):
                    Race (Expanded):
                    Age at Death: 49
                    Estimated Birth Year: 1893
                    Birth Date:
                    Birthplace:
                    Marital Status:
                    Spouse's Name: Sixto Castillo
                    Spouse's Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Spouse's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Father's Name: Rafael G Lucero
                    Father's Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Father's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Father's Birthplace:
                    Mother's Name: Amada Alarcon
                    Mother's Titles & Terms (Original):
                    Mother's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                    Mother's Birthplace:
                    Occupation:
                    Street Address:
                    Residence:
                    Cemetery:
                    Burial Place:
                    Burial Date:
                    Funeral Home:
                    Informant:
                    Collection: New Mexico Deaths, 1889-1945
                    I can keep looking if any of this helps you. Email me at
                    valerigunn@... if you have any other questions or anything I can help
                    you with.

                    Valeri

                    On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM, chilipep_23 <chilitwig2@...>wrote:

                    > I have looked everywhere i know of so far...and like i said i don't know
                    > alot yet about all this but i am stuck onmy great grandfather all i have is
                    > naem: Rafael G Lucero who married Amada Alarcon born 1860-died 1942..other
                    > than that all i have on him is he was mentioned in a book, 'Tales of the
                    > Sangre de Cristos'--Frontiersman of New Mexico Lawmen...how do i find if
                    > possible his parents and sibs where born and all..and info on his 6 children
                    > of which i only have names??
                    > I should say...without having to pay a fee as i have no money! Are there
                    > available places ?

                  • chilipep_23
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 20, 2010
                      wow...thank you! i will have a good start to look thru..so appreciated!

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 20, 2010
                        This helps alot...thank you so much..i will take all the help i can get..so very appreciated..

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Valeri Gunn <valerigunn@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > Collection: New Mexico Deaths, 1889-1945
                        > I can keep looking if any of this helps you. Email me at
                        > valerigunn@... if you have any other questions or anything I can help
                        > you with.
                        >
                        > Valeri
                        >

                        > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM, chilipep_23 <chilitwig2@...>wrote:
                        >

                        > > I have looked everywhere i know of so far...and like i said i don't know
                        > > alot yet about all this but i am stuck onmy great grandfather all i have is
                        > > naem: Rafael G Lucero who married Amada Alarcon born 1860-died 1942..other
                        > > than that all i have on him is he was mentioned in a book, 'Tales of the
                        > > Sangre de Cristos'--Frontiersman of New Mexico Lawmen...how do i find if
                        > > possible his parents and sibs where born and all..and info on his 6 children
                        > > of which i only have names??
                        > > I should say...without having to pay a fee as i have no money! Are there

                      • chilipep_23
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 20, 2010
                          Hi...If you have time, i would love to find anything out about my grandfather Jose Domingo Lucero if you can find anything..all i have is DOB-8-4-1881...DOD and where and if he had been in jail or a troublemaker...bits and pieces of stories passed down but no one seems to know much. Is that kind of information available...even knowing his DOD and where would be a great help...and on the other end..Rafael's father: at least i believe this one is him..Romualdo or Ronualdo Lucero born about 1817.

                          Thank you!
                          Linda

                        • Bloodhound; Kermit
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 21, 2010
                            > AWESOME...thanks..
                            > wow...thank you! ... so appreciated!...

                            LOL! I LOVE to get that kind of reaction!!
                            Just pay it forward - somebody helped me, I help you,
                            now you help someone sometime.

                            I stopped going back with the 1870 census because there got to be many many LUCEROs - it's like a puzzle with lots of similar pieces, and I don't want to point you at the wrong household. HOWEVER - I think that you should get (or have somebody help you with) the research of LUCERO in San Miguel County pre-1900 (1880 and back). There's a pretty good chance that they are all related to some degree - the question is how complicated the tree gets.

                            If I *had* to make a choice for a matching 1860 census,
                            I would go with -
                            1860 Los Luceros (P.O. Tecolote), San Miguel, New Mexico
                            (dwelling 1273 family 1288)
                            Lucero, Rumaldo/50/laborer, A M Luisa/39,
                            (), Juan de Dios/18/laborer, Dorotea/11, Pedro/4, Manuel/13/servant
                            (dwelling 1273 family 1288)
                            Lucero, Gregorio/69, Clara/60, Sinforiana/4, Higinio/12/shepherd
                            (lots of other LUCERO on the same censuspage)

                            Recall that, in the older censuses, people were "census'ed" in whatever household they were in on that day - and they didn't list relationships. So, very possibly, Gregorio and Clara were grandparents to Sinforiana and Higinio (or some other relation), who could possibly be from different households. And, in the Rumaldo household, the fact that Manuel (at age 13) is listed out of numerical order implies that he might be from a different family - maybe a nephew or some kind of cousin?

                            Trying to go back to 1850 is a stretch, but I came across this interesting possibility -
                            1850 La Cuesta, San Miguel, New Mexico Territory
                            Lucero, Ramaldo/28, Loisa/20, Jose M/9, Juan D/7, Eugenio/3
                            NOTES: could Rumaldo/50(1860) be the same as Ramaldo/28(1850)?
                            could A M Luisa/39(1860) be the same as Loisa/20(1850)?
                            could Juan de Dios/18(1860) be the same as Juan D/7(1850)?
                            could Higinio/12(1860) be the same as Eugenio/3(1850)?
                            - Yeah, it's a stretch, but definitely interesting.

                            Oh yeah - what about that elderly couple?
                            (I have *NO* idea how they might fit in - but old is interesting.)
                            1850 La Cuesta, San Miguel, New Mexico Territory
                            Lucero, Gregorio/60/farmer, Clara C/50,
                            (), Esquipla/18/laborer, Pedro Ant/4, M'a Refugio/12, Lorenzo/8
                            NOTE: I presume that M'a (female) is shorthand for Maria.
                            RootsWeb WorldConnect for GREG* LUCERO married to CLAR*
                            <http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?rank=0&xcb=x&tips=0&father=&given=greg*&surname=lucero&mother=&stype=Exact&spouse=clar*&byear=&brange=&bplace=&myear=&mrange=&mplace=&dyear=&drange=&dplace=&language=en&op=search&db=&ti=0&ti.si=0&gl=&gss=mp-awt&gst=&so=3>

                            LUCERO Family Genealogy Forums (these are different forums) -
                            http://genforum.genealogy.com/lucero/
                            http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.lucero/mb.ashx

                            "Jose Domingo Lucero, born at the Los Luceros Ranch in New Mexico on August 4, 1881"
                            ref: http://www.familyhein.com/page13.html
                            (he's in the 1900 census that I transcribed)

                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 21, 2010
                              OH you bet... I love the pay it forward way to go...tho thru this i wouldn't be much help...but i always try to help with things i do know about..i know what ya mean ...could this be the same as the other..as spelling didn't alwasy seem to be a 'big' thing back then... i get so excited everytime ya'll send me something...THANK YOU!!

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 21, 2010
                                > (from previous messages)
                                > 1900 El Aguilar, San Miguel, New Mexico
                                > Lusero, Rafael, head 39 married 20 yrs born Oct 1860 NM farmer
                                > (), Amada, wife 35 married 20 yrs born Sept 1864, 9:5 children
                                > (), Jose D/18, Victoria/14, Teresa/11, Florentina L/7, Manuel/5
                                >
                                > Jose Domingo Lucero
                                > http://www.familyhein.com/page13.html

                                1910 Vaughn, Guadalupe, New Mexico
                                Lucero, Jose Domingo, head 29 married.1 6 yrs, Laborer, odd jobs
                                (), Ignacita, wife 24 married.1 6 yrs, 4 children 3 living
                                (), Jose/4, Eugenio/3, Margarita/2
                                (in the same dwelling as the household of Nestor BACA/53)

                                1920 Precinct 1, Crowley, Colorado
                                Lucero, Jess D/38, Ignacita/35, Jose A/14, Eugene/13, Margarito/12,
                                (), Marie R/10, Tellesfer/8, Antonio/5, Jose D/3:CO, Guadalupe/3m:CO
                                NOTE: all are marked as born NM except as indicated here.

                                Name: Jose Dominigo Lucero
                                Address: 125 Spring, Pueblo, Colorado
                                Birth Date: 4 Aug 1881
                                Occupation: Steel Worker, Coke Ovens
                                Nearest Relative: Ignacita R. Lucero (same address)

                                go to http://digitalnm.unm.edu/cdm4/search.php?CISOROOT=/Manuscripts
                                for EXACT PHRASE, enter the string
                                "Wedding announcement for Ignacita Baca and Jose Domingo Lucero"
                                and you will get the image for the Wedding announcement for Ignacita Baca and Jose Domingo Lucero, June 22, at the Santa Rosa Church.

                                OR - at that same web search page, search for LUCERO
                                and you get 126 hits, including pictures.
                                (They may or may not be related to you.)

                                I didn't find any news articles on Jose - good or bad.

                                - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

                              • Jenni
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 21, 2010
                                  Hi!
                                    I am new here- Bloodhound do you do research help for anyone or just for the
                                  new Mexico region?  I have a few brick walls in Arkansas I need help with!
                                    Thanks!
                                  http://berryfamilytree.blogspot.com/

                                  ________________________________

                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  > > valerigunn@ if you have any other questions or anything I can help
                                  > > you with.
                                  > >
                                  > > Valeri
                                  > >

                                  > > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM, chilipep_23 <chilitwig2@>wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > > I have looked everywhere i know of so far...and like i said i don't know
                                  > > > alot yet about all this but i am stuck onmy great grandfather all i have
                                  is
                                  > > > naem: Rafael G Lucero who married Amada Alarcon born 1860-died 1942..other
                                  > > > than that all i have on him is he was mentioned in a book, 'Tales of the
                                  > > > Sangre de Cristos'--Frontiersman of New Mexico Lawmen...how do i find if
                                  > > > possible his parents and sibs where born and all..and info on his 6
                                  >children
                                  > > > of which i only have names??
                                  > > > I should say...without having to pay a fee as i have no money! Are there

                                • Jenni
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 21, 2010
                                    Hi- I am rearching the names BERRY, ROGERS, (RODGERS) in and around Phillips
                                    County, Desha County, Conway County, and Franklin County, Arkansas.

                                    Does anyone live near these areas that can do look ups in couthouses and
                                    libraires?  I live in a different state and can't go to Arkansas to do research.
                                    :(

                                    Thanks!
                                    Jenni   http://berryfamilytree.blogspot.com/

                                    ________________________________

                                    wrote:

> [...]
                                    > > valerigunn@ if you have any other questions or anything I can help
                                    > > you with.
                                    > >
                                    > > Valeri
                                    > >

                                    > > On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM, chilipep_23 <chilitwig2@>wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > > > I have looked everywhere i know of so far...and like i said i don't know
                                    > > > alot yet about all this but i am stuck onmy great grandfather all i have
                                    is
                                    > > > naem: Rafael G Lucero who married Amada Alarcon born 1860-died 1942..other
                                    > > > than that all i have on him is he was mentioned in a book, 'Tales of the
                                    > > > Sangre de Cristos'--Frontiersman of New Mexico Lawmen...how do i find if
                                    > > > possible his parents and sibs where born and all..and info on his 6
                                    >children
                                    > > > of which i only have names??
                                    > > > I should say...without having to pay a fee as i have no money! Are there

                                  • chilipep_23
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 21, 2010
                                      YOU are awesome...

> [...]
                                      > > > Birthplace:
                                      > > > Marital Status:
                                      > > > Spouse's Name: Sixto Castillo
                                      > > > Spouse's Titles & Terms (Original):
                                      > > > Spouse's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                                      > > > Father's Name: Rafael G Lucero
                                      > > > Father's Titles & Terms (Original):
                                      > > > Father's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                                      > > > Father's Birthplace:
                                      > > > Mother's Name: Amada Alarcon
                                      > > > Mother's Titles & Terms (Original):
                                      > > > Mother's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
                                      > > > Mother's Birthplace:
                                      > > > Occupation:
                                      > > > Street Address:
                                      > > > Residence:
                                      > > > Cemetery:
                                      > > > Burial Place:
                                      > > > Burial Date:
                                      > > > Funeral Home:
                                      > > > Informant:
                                      > > > Collection: New Mexico Deaths, 1889-1945
                                      > > > I can keep looking if any of this helps you. Email me at

                                    • Bloodhound; Kermit
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 21, 2010
                                        Jenni -

                                        I'm a "generalist" (not limited to one state).
                                        Describe one or two of your brickwalls,
                                        and I'll take a whack at 'em.
                                        (with the caveat that I haven't searched much for Arkansas.)

                                        - Tom Knox IBSSG "Bloodhound"

                                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@..., Jenni <jenicoe2001@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi!
                                        >   I am new here- Bloodhound do you do research help for anyone or just for the
                                        > new Mexico region?  I have a few brick walls in Arkansas I need help with!
                                        >   Thanks!
                                        > http://berryfamilytree.blogspot.com/
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • Windy Smith
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 2, 2011
                                          Hello

                                          I am looking for any information on my grandmother before she married.

                                          On her son's death certificate she is listed as Annie Carter. What I am
                                          pretty sure of is that she married Richmond/Richard C Poston before 1905 and
                                          lived in Groveton, Texas after that. She died in Conroe Tx in 1947.
                                          Richard died on July 6, 1930 in Houston Texas, killed in the Houston
                                          Electric Streetcar shop by a streetcar. But I can't find a record of their
                                          marriage and can't tell which Annie Carter she was before marriage and so
                                          can't trace her heritage.

                                          I would appreciate any help anyone on this list could give me.

                                          Windy

                                        • Tammy Jernigan
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 14, 2011
                                            Hi, This is what I found for you. Annie brother Webb Carter was with her and her family in 1910. Here in 1900 is him and Annie with their parents in 1900 census.
                                            1900 census.Justice Precinct 5, Burleson, Texas
                                            Name
                                            Age

                                            John Carter
                                            50

                                            Sarah A Carter
                                            46

                                            Annie Carter
                                            18

                                            George Carter
                                            16

                                            Joe Carter
                                            15

                                            Pearl Carter
                                            13

                                            Webb Carter
                                            11

                                            Tom Carter
                                            9

                                            Leona Carter
                                            4

                                            Eugene Carter
                                            Father's birthplace is Louisiana in Feb. 1850. Mother's birthplace is Texas in Dec. 1853.
                                            If you need any more help with your search just let me know. Happy hunting.

                                            Tammy Jernigan
                                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Themesserfamily/