Re: Grave Markers

  • Judy Ardine
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
      I would be inclined to prepare my genealogical information into book form
      WITH DOCUMENTATION, but rather than, for instance, the actual birth
      certificate number, I would use "Birth certificate: Harrison cnty, OH,
      USA", etc. for documentation. Enough information for anyone who is
      interested to find the actual primary documentation w/o supplying it for them.

      If all I had was a secondary source I would list it as such, i.e. book
      title, author, publication date, publisher and publisher's city & state, p.
      xx.; or family lore; or guess-timate. This would, hopefully cause those
      interested to verify w/PRIMARY documentation themselves and therefor
      improve upon or correct any mistakes or assumptions I may have made.

      I would provide one copy to the LDS w/permission to make available
      digitally, one copy to our state library's genealogy section or equivalent
      and a copy to each of my children. I would end the list of descent w/the
      deceased parents of living descendents and would NOT include any living
      person. I would also provide a copy to the state library genealogical
      department or equivalent in the state of the original immigrant ancestor.

      I am currently working on doing the above. And I do provide data at
      findagrave. Its a great site.
    • tenmans38@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
        I saw something on ABC news a while back where you can
        now put something inside the headstone that retains info.
        It could be the voice of the loved one who died so that you
        could activate it and hear there voice again.Or you could
        have family history put on it.It could be coded so strangers
        could not come along and read it.With it imbedded in the
        Tombstone you could stand there with a handheld computer
        and download it to read your own family history.This seems
        more practical then writing the parents names on the outside.
        In other words you could leave your own pedigree there for
        future descendants to find.

        Mike

        Posted by: "Peakcat@..."
        I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
        world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
        think that the relationship would be important before adding something
        special
        on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
        parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
        permission should be asked first.

        Ina Getzoff

      • HelenS
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
          Well, I guess I can see everyone's point of view. I love family history and am trying to document mine, I manage a cemetery, and I am a contributing member of Find A Grave.

          I am always pleased to see a monument with family members listed and it is more costly to do this. About 10 cents a letter in my neck of the woods.

          You can still have a monument in a cemetery if you are cremated. I have several in mine.

          It is a shame that we have to be afraid to let people know about ourselves and our family, but also we must continue to be proud of our heritage and record our history. If you think about it, we are the ones that are leaving our records for the future. Providing the future generations a sense of where they came from. To show them what courage, perseverance, morals, strength, and determination it took to survive many hardships. The future generations will always need to know on whose back they are standing, the blood that flows in their veins, the strength of character they can draw from.

          Off my soapbox and back to work.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@... wrote:

          > I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
          > world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
          > think that the relationship would be important before adding something special
          > on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
          > parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
          > permission should be asked first.
          >
          > Ina Getzoff
          > _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

        • Louise
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 13, 2010
            When my mother and her brother purchased a headstone for their mother, who died in 1940, they added..."beloved mother of.." and then added their names. We had bought a monunment for my parents when daddy died in 1984 and had the usual name and dates. But when my mother died in 1999, we had all four children's names added to the back side under "beloved parents of:" I have seen some very elaborately inscribed stones. One even had a 'sketch' of the lady on the front and a lovely poem her husband had written on the back. The older stones had some wonderful verses. We used to take care of a cemetery when I was a teenager and I loved looking at the dates and inscriptions. Some went back before the Civil War.Of course, it is really expensive to do much lettering now.

            Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 14, 2010
              Helen, May I contact you off list? I have some personal questions and issues
              regarding my
              adoption and the proper etiquette and legalities for handling obituaries
              and or
              newspaper articles regarding my genealogy to a specific family. I do not
              want to bore the list
              with my issues.
              Thank you for your help.
              Nancy H