Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Grave Markers

  • Nancy Heck
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2010
      Not sure if you were asking me but I would like to answer anyway. Yes I
      would add information in different places if I could. I was adopted
      and although I found my Maternal birth mother and 8 siblings and many
      cousins, I still was not accepted by this family, Mainly because
      it was just too late. For me though I was not really looking for a mother at
      this late time in my life, besides I already had a Mother. I was looking for
      ME and I found ME. However as Time and circumstances often change how family
      is accepted or not that names and family members
      get left out of Obits and cemetery records, etc. It is as though I never
      existed I am not in any family records either my adopted family or my
      birth family. I have proof of documentation that I really was born, adopted,
      married and had children. If it were allowed and possible I would
      definitely add these documents to their records. Thank You for asking!
      Nancy Heck

    • Peakcat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2010
        I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
        world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
        think that the relationship would be important before adding something special
        on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
        parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
        permission should be asked first.

        Ina Getzoff
        _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

      • Judy Ardine
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
          I would be inclined to prepare my genealogical information into book form
          WITH DOCUMENTATION, but rather than, for instance, the actual birth
          certificate number, I would use "Birth certificate: Harrison cnty, OH,
          USA", etc. for documentation. Enough information for anyone who is
          interested to find the actual primary documentation w/o supplying it for them.

          If all I had was a secondary source I would list it as such, i.e. book
          title, author, publication date, publisher and publisher's city & state, p.
          xx.; or family lore; or guess-timate. This would, hopefully cause those
          interested to verify w/PRIMARY documentation themselves and therefor
          improve upon or correct any mistakes or assumptions I may have made.

          I would provide one copy to the LDS w/permission to make available
          digitally, one copy to our state library's genealogy section or equivalent
          and a copy to each of my children. I would end the list of descent w/the
          deceased parents of living descendents and would NOT include any living
          person. I would also provide a copy to the state library genealogical
          department or equivalent in the state of the original immigrant ancestor.

          I am currently working on doing the above. And I do provide data at
          findagrave. Its a great site.
        • tenmans38@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
            I saw something on ABC news a while back where you can
            now put something inside the headstone that retains info.
            It could be the voice of the loved one who died so that you
            could activate it and hear there voice again.Or you could
            have family history put on it.It could be coded so strangers
            could not come along and read it.With it imbedded in the
            Tombstone you could stand there with a handheld computer
            and download it to read your own family history.This seems
            more practical then writing the parents names on the outside.
            In other words you could leave your own pedigree there for
            future descendants to find.

            Mike

            Posted by: "Peakcat@..."
            I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
            world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
            think that the relationship would be important before adding something
            special
            on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
            parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
            permission should be asked first.

            Ina Getzoff

          • HelenS
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
              Well, I guess I can see everyone's point of view. I love family history and am trying to document mine, I manage a cemetery, and I am a contributing member of Find A Grave.

              I am always pleased to see a monument with family members listed and it is more costly to do this. About 10 cents a letter in my neck of the woods.

              You can still have a monument in a cemetery if you are cremated. I have several in mine.

              It is a shame that we have to be afraid to let people know about ourselves and our family, but also we must continue to be proud of our heritage and record our history. If you think about it, we are the ones that are leaving our records for the future. Providing the future generations a sense of where they came from. To show them what courage, perseverance, morals, strength, and determination it took to survive many hardships. The future generations will always need to know on whose back they are standing, the blood that flows in their veins, the strength of character they can draw from.

              Off my soapbox and back to work.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@... wrote:

              > I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
              > world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
              > think that the relationship would be important before adding something special
              > on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
              > parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
              > permission should be asked first.
              >
              > Ina Getzoff
              > _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

            • Louise
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 13, 2010
                When my mother and her brother purchased a headstone for their mother, who died in 1940, they added..."beloved mother of.." and then added their names. We had bought a monunment for my parents when daddy died in 1984 and had the usual name and dates. But when my mother died in 1999, we had all four children's names added to the back side under "beloved parents of:" I have seen some very elaborately inscribed stones. One even had a 'sketch' of the lady on the front and a lovely poem her husband had written on the back. The older stones had some wonderful verses. We used to take care of a cemetery when I was a teenager and I loved looking at the dates and inscriptions. Some went back before the Civil War.Of course, it is really expensive to do much lettering now.

                Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 14, 2010
                  Helen, May I contact you off list? I have some personal questions and issues
                  regarding my
                  adoption and the proper etiquette and legalities for handling obituaries
                  and or
                  newspaper articles regarding my genealogy to a specific family. I do not
                  want to bore the list
                  with my issues.
                  Thank you for your help.
                  Nancy H