RE: [Genealogy Research Club] Grave Markers

  • Roberta Baum
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 10, 2010
      Hi. I'm not sure if I would because the marker would probably increase in costm I think.

      To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
      From: arney9thgeneration@...
      Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 03:46:44 +0000
      Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Grave Markers

      I have a couple Q? for each of you.

      If you could put genealogy information on your own grave marker, would you?

      If you could put genealogy information on a family member or ancestors grave marker, would you?
      (The second one is "iffy" because I don't know the laws regarding adding to or putting something on someone else's grave marker.)

      Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.

    • Nancy Heck
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2010
        Not sure if you were asking me but I would like to answer anyway. Yes I
        would add information in different places if I could. I was adopted
        and although I found my Maternal birth mother and 8 siblings and many
        cousins, I still was not accepted by this family, Mainly because
        it was just too late. For me though I was not really looking for a mother at
        this late time in my life, besides I already had a Mother. I was looking for
        ME and I found ME. However as Time and circumstances often change how family
        is accepted or not that names and family members
        get left out of Obits and cemetery records, etc. It is as though I never
        existed I am not in any family records either my adopted family or my
        birth family. I have proof of documentation that I really was born, adopted,
        married and had children. If it were allowed and possible I would
        definitely add these documents to their records. Thank You for asking!
        Nancy Heck

        On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Roberta Baum <toutietree@...>wrote:

        > Hi. I'm not sure if I would because the marker would probably increase in
        > costm I think.
        >

        > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
        > From: arney9thgeneration@... <arney9thgeneration%40yahoo.com>
        > Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 03:46:44 +0000
        > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Grave Markers
        >
        > I have a couple Q? for each of you.
        >
        > If you could put genealogy information on your own grave marker, would you?
        >
        > If you could put genealogy information on a family member or ancestors
        > grave marker, would you?
        > (The second one is "iffy" because I don't know the laws regarding adding to
        > or putting something on someone else's grave marker.)
        >
        > Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate
        > it.

      • circa_1948
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 10, 2010
          I wouldn't..
          main reason being I'd be making public other's info who may not preferred that.
          I.e., my blacksheep ancestors. While I have no problem with them my family members may. and no one knows all their family members to ask. we all have thousands of cousins all over the world.
          what if some are of a religious faction kept secret in a country where it could equate a death sentence (yes, it still goes on). Nahh, opening a can of worms to my estimation. We live in the age of the WWW, is easier for ppl to get info here than a gravemarker. Besides, it can be just as flawed as the online trees. I myself may put out tidbits here and there abt ancestors but no longer put my family trees online. I used to and for this and other reasons have removed all I can. I am happy to share in email helping ppl with a line, no problem. Just sick of my info making some fat cats rich on my hard work AND taking free license to change, delete and add whatever they like to it making it false.
          Sunny
          Hi. I'm not sure if I would because the marker would probably increase in costm I think.

          To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 10, 2010
            I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
            world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
            think that the relationship would be important before adding something special
            on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
            parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
            permission should be asked first.

            Ina Getzoff
            _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

          • Judy Ardine
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
              I would be inclined to prepare my genealogical information into book form
              WITH DOCUMENTATION, but rather than, for instance, the actual birth
              certificate number, I would use "Birth certificate: Harrison cnty, OH,
              USA", etc. for documentation. Enough information for anyone who is
              interested to find the actual primary documentation w/o supplying it for them.

              If all I had was a secondary source I would list it as such, i.e. book
              title, author, publication date, publisher and publisher's city & state, p.
              xx.; or family lore; or guess-timate. This would, hopefully cause those
              interested to verify w/PRIMARY documentation themselves and therefor
              improve upon or correct any mistakes or assumptions I may have made.

              I would provide one copy to the LDS w/permission to make available
              digitally, one copy to our state library's genealogy section or equivalent
              and a copy to each of my children. I would end the list of descent w/the
              deceased parents of living descendents and would NOT include any living
              person. I would also provide a copy to the state library genealogical
              department or equivalent in the state of the original immigrant ancestor.

              I am currently working on doing the above. And I do provide data at
              findagrave. Its a great site.
            • tenmans38@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
                I saw something on ABC news a while back where you can
                now put something inside the headstone that retains info.
                It could be the voice of the loved one who died so that you
                could activate it and hear there voice again.Or you could
                have family history put on it.It could be coded so strangers
                could not come along and read it.With it imbedded in the
                Tombstone you could stand there with a handheld computer
                and download it to read your own family history.This seems
                more practical then writing the parents names on the outside.
                In other words you could leave your own pedigree there for
                future descendants to find.

                Mike

                Posted by: "Peakcat@..."
                I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
                world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
                think that the relationship would be important before adding something
                special
                on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
                parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
                permission should be asked first.

                Ina Getzoff

              • HelenS
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 11, 2010
                  Well, I guess I can see everyone's point of view. I love family history and am trying to document mine, I manage a cemetery, and I am a contributing member of Find A Grave.

                  I am always pleased to see a monument with family members listed and it is more costly to do this. About 10 cents a letter in my neck of the woods.

                  You can still have a monument in a cemetery if you are cremated. I have several in mine.

                  It is a shame that we have to be afraid to let people know about ourselves and our family, but also we must continue to be proud of our heritage and record our history. If you think about it, we are the ones that are leaving our records for the future. Providing the future generations a sense of where they came from. To show them what courage, perseverance, morals, strength, and determination it took to survive many hardships. The future generations will always need to know on whose back they are standing, the blood that flows in their veins, the strength of character they can draw from.

                  Off my soapbox and back to work.

                  --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Peakcat@... wrote:

                  > I think I might want to add something special before I passed out of this
                  > world on my own marker but as far as someone else such as family I would
                  > think that the relationship would be important before adding something special
                  > on another marker even for family. Of course if it is husband, sibling, or
                  > parents than that is another story. For other family members I would think
                  > permission should be asked first.
                  >
                  > Ina Getzoff
                  > _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

                • Louise
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 13, 2010
                    When my mother and her brother purchased a headstone for their mother, who died in 1940, they added..."beloved mother of.." and then added their names. We had bought a monunment for my parents when daddy died in 1984 and had the usual name and dates. But when my mother died in 1999, we had all four children's names added to the back side under "beloved parents of:" I have seen some very elaborately inscribed stones. One even had a 'sketch' of the lady on the front and a lovely poem her husband had written on the back. The older stones had some wonderful verses. We used to take care of a cemetery when I was a teenager and I loved looking at the dates and inscriptions. Some went back before the Civil War.Of course, it is really expensive to do much lettering now.

                    Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 14, 2010
                      Helen, May I contact you off list? I have some personal questions and issues
                      regarding my
                      adoption and the proper etiquette and legalities for handling obituaries
                      and or
                      newspaper articles regarding my genealogy to a specific family. I do not
                      want to bore the list
                      with my issues.
                      Thank you for your help.
                      Nancy H