Symbols in Celtic Names

  • mcdunk2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2010
      While working on my wife's line (McGhee), I am coming across records that have a symbol under the first lower case "c". Two small squiggly lines. I had been told that the Mc means son of. Does anyone know what the small lines are called and does it denote a change in the pronunciation of the name similar to the tilde over the "n" in spanish?? Thanks for any assistance.

      Mike