Arney research

  • melanie lucas
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 5, 2010
      Stan,
           I have an Ancestry account and will be willing to help you with that.  Just let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

      melanie

    • Stan Arney
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
        Melanie,

        First, let me thank you for being willing to help me, I really appreciate it.
        The most difficult task, at hand, is solving the mystery of my Jacob Arney.I know he was in York County, Pennsylvania when, at least, two of his sons were born.Christian Arney, Sr. in 1750, and Johann Heinrich "Henry" Arney in 1755.I know that Jacob Arney, left Pennsylvania about 1767, and moved his family to North Carolina.I know that Jacob Arney purchased land in Tryon County, North Carolina in 1772.I know that Jacob Arney's son, Peter Arney, was born in Tryon County, NC, in 1772.I know that Jacob Arney died in 1784, in Lincoln County, North Carolina.I know that Jacob Arney's daughter, Catherine, after Jacob's death, was bound to a John Daub, in 1786, in Surry County, NC.I know that Jacob Arney's son, Peter, after Jacob's death, was bound to a John Fullenwider, in 1787, in Lincoln County, NC.I know that Jacob Arney's son, Christian, Sr., died in 1834, in Lincoln County, NC.
        The mystery is, finding any proof of my Jacob Arney in Pennsylvania.
        At Ancestry.com, people who post their family trees, etc., those all lead back to the wrong conclusion, that this Jacob Arney, was the son of Frederick Ernigh (aka Earney, aka Arney).
        So, I know who my Jacob Arney, was NOT the son of, but I cannot tell you, who he was the son of, that's the mystery.
        Frederick Ernigh's son, Jacob, died in Pennsylvania, leaving behind a widow, Barbara.A dead Jacob Arney, could not have moved his family to North Carolina and died in North Carolina as well.
        I seek to find what I term, DTP (Definitive Tangible Proof) about my Jacob Arney.DTP consists (but is not limited to) birth/baptism records, marriage records, land dealings (purchases/sales), tax rolls, census, wills, death records, tombstones, letters, portraits/paintings/photographs/pictures, military records, etc.
        So, what is imperative to find, is documentation of my Jacob Arney, in Pennsylvania.
        The "other Jacob" lived in Berks County and Philadelphia County, in Pennsylvania.
        We know that my Jacob Arney was in York County, in 1750 & 1755, at least.However, I have no tangible proof.
        To solve who my Jacob Arney's siblings were, who his parents were, etc., we must find actual documentation of him, in Pennsylvania.
        Anything you can do, to help with my efforts, would be greatly appreciated.Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation.
        Stan
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2010
          To all,
          Well, it's that time of year, that I make my trip to the nearest genealogy library,Midwest Genealogy Center, in Independence, Missouri.
          Once again, I feel ill prepared, to accomplish my goal, solving the mystery of Jacob Arney.
          This library is considered, one of the top Genealogy libraries in the country.However, it's resources are still limited, it will not have the great details, that I seek, that are probably only going to be found, in the local libraries (ex. York County, PA, Lincoln County, NC, Wythe County, VA, and Overton County, TN), but alas, I do not have the financial means to visit those libraries.  I will have to settle for, what I can learn online and at the MGC.
          Any suggestions, about how to proceed, would be greatly appreciated.I leave tomorrow (Monday) and will be there through Thursday.
          Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.
          Stan

        • shannonlind
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 8, 2010
            I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City once or twice a year. Every time I go I feel the same way you do. It doesn't matter how much time I spend getting ready and organized, by the time I get there it seems like everything has just exploded!

            Lately I've been trying to focus my research on two or three brick walls. I've written research plans complete with the films to search, made to-do lists, platted maps…. And I still end up reverting to the shotgun approach—search everyone for anything!

            A case, I suppose, of the best laid plans….

            If I have any suggestion at all it would be to relax and have fun. And be open to new possibilities. It's happened that just as I'm ready to throw in the towel I've found a new connection where I've least expected it.

            Good luck!

            --Shannon
          • Roberta Bruce
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 9, 2010
              Thanks Shannon,  I have a daughter named Shannon Lynn,  we live in Platte City Mo.  I have been working on this for
              twenty years.   Seems I take one foot forward  and 2 steps back.  Have fun,
              Dee Bruce

              nk
              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 11, 2010
                Unfortunately those places that would have my information are beyond my
                reach.
                I do not live in Pike or Ralls county Missouri where newspaper obits
                preserved
                in Library's (on rolls of film) would have my answers. Perhaps I will get
                lucky
                one day and find someone in that area who will take all that time to look.
                If volunteers there have already spent long hours doing a death index from
                the 1880's then those obits would be easy to find.

                Mike

                Posted by: "shannonlind"
                If I have any suggestion at all it would be to relax and have fun. And be
                open to new possibilities. It's happened that just as I'm ready to throw in
                the towel I've found a new connection where I've least expected it.

                Good luck!

                --Shannon

              • Stacey Olsen
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 12, 2010
                  http://www.raogk.org/missouri.htm

                  Try the above website. It is volunteers in Missouri who will do just what
                  you are looking for. You just have to look through the list to see who
                  will do what and then email them to make your request.

                  Good Luck!
                  Stacey Olsen

                  On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 10:56 PM, <tenmans38@...> wrote:

                  > Unfortunately those places that would have my information are beyond my
                  > reach.
                  > I do not live in Pike or Ralls county Missouri where newspaper obits
                  > preserved
                  > in Library's (on rolls of film) would have my answers. Perhaps I will get
                  > lucky
                  > one day and find someone in that area who will take all that time to look.
                  > If volunteers there have already spent long hours doing a death index from
                  > the 1880's then those obits would be easy to find.
                  >
                  > Mike
                  >

                  > Posted by: "shannonlind"
                  > If I have any suggestion at all it would be to relax and have fun. And be
                  > open to new possibilities. It's happened that just as I'm ready to throw in
                  >
                  > the towel I've found a new connection where I've least expected it.
                  >
                  > Good luck!
                  >
                  > --Shannon

                • irishartinaz
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 12, 2010
                    Just a Q - and then a comment -- What basis do you have for the deaths of the supposed different Jacobs in PA and NC - like a death record or grave site ?? The reason I ask is an old ancestor of mine died in rural MN as did his wife, and their four children - at different times over a period of fifty years, yet all are buried 175 miles away in rural WI in a family cemetery. so be open minded as anything is possible even if it seems impossible or unlikely.

                    Art

                    --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Stan Arney <arney9thgeneration@...> wrote:

                    > To all,
                    > Well, it's that time of year, that I make my trip to the nearest genealogy library,Midwest Genealogy Center, in Independence, Missouri.
                    > Once again, I feel ill prepared, to accomplish my goal, solving the mystery of Jacob Arney.
                    > This library is considered, one of the top Genealogy libraries in the country.However, it's resources are still limited, it will not have the great details, that I seek, that are probably only going to be found, in the local libraries (ex. York County, PA, Lincoln County, NC, Wythe County, VA, and Overton County, TN), but alas, I do not have the financial means to visit those libraries.  I will have to settle for, what I can learn online and at the MGC.
                    > Any suggestions, about how to proceed, would be greatly appreciated.I leave tomorrow (Monday) and will be there through Thursday.
                    > Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.
                    > Stan

                  • mg
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 16, 2010
                      http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov/default.aspx

                      I foudn this out through an Irish group..this is just marvelous.  mg

                    • Peggie Culbertson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 18, 2010
                        this is just people that lived in washingtton state

                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 7, 2010
                          I have a question about, how you would proceed, given the following
                          predicaments:

                          Brick wall of Jacob Arney

                          Jacob Arney died in Lincoln County, North Carolina, in 1784

                          Jacob Arney’s will, only mentions his wife, Elizabeth, and children (no
                          specific child).

                          Jacob Arney moved his family, from Pennsylvania to North Carolina in
                          1767.

                          Jacob Arney’s son, Christian Arney, Sr., was born in York(town), York
                          County, Pennsylvania, in 1750.

                          It’s not believed that Elizabeth was Jacob’s first (or only) wife.

                          The “brick wall” is trying to find information on Jacob Arney, when he
                          lived in Pennsylvania.

                          The Pennsylvania State Archives Series renders no information.

                          Where would you start looking, to try to find information, on Jacob
                          Arney?

                          Brick wall of Peter Arney (son of Jacob Arney)

                          Peter Arney was (supposedly) born in Tryon County, North Carolina, in
                          1772 [No documentation has been found].

                          In 1787, Peter Arney, orphan son of Jacob Arney, dec’d, age 15, was
                          bound over to John Fullenwider, until the age of 21.

                          Between 1790-1793, Peter Arney moved to the area of Wythe County,
                          Virginia, where he married Margaret (surname unknown), and began his family.

                          [Note:  I have found no
                          documentation of Peter Arney’s marriage (in Wythe County, Virginia), nor any
                          documentation of any of his children’s births in Wythe County, Virginia]

                          Around 1799, Peter Arney moved to the Cumberland area of Kentucky.

                          Around 1801, Peter Arney moved into the area of Smith County,
                          Tennessee.

                          1801, Peter Arney’s signature is found on a petition to halt the
                          annexation of Wilson & Smith Counties in Tennessee to form a new
                          county.  This apparently failed.

                          1802, Peter Arney is found of the tax roll of Jackson County, Tennessee
                          (which was formed from Smith County)

                          1814, Peter Arney purchases 300 acres of land, in Overton County,
                          Tennessee, from John Sevier (the 1st Governor of Tennessee).

                          It “appears” that Peter Arney lived in the same location (from
                          1800-1814), only the boundaries and therefore counties changed, during that
                          time frame.

                          [Note:  I have found no
                          documentation of any of Peter Arney’s children born in Tennessee]

                          Peter Arney lived in Overton County, Tennessee, from (at least) 1814
                          until his death in 1845.

                          Peter Arney’s name appears on the US Federal Census for Tennessee (in
                          Overton County) for the years 1820-1840.

                          In 1840, it lists his age between 70-80, which would place his birth
                          year between 1760-1770.

                          In 1830, it lists his age between 50-60, which would place his birth
                          year between 1770-1780.

                          I would like to find a map, showing exactly where Peter Arney’s
                          original land purchase was in Overton County, TN.

                          I would also like to find a map, showing all lands Peter Arney owned at
                          the time of his death, in 1845.

                          I would also like to find proof of his marriage, and proof of the
                          births/baptism of any of his children.

                          Besides the Census, what other documentation could I expect to find on
                          Peter Arney?

                          Tax Rolls, other land deals (sales/purchases), etc.

                          Peter Arney was probably buried where Dale Hollow Lake was
                          created.  Therefore, his grave marker
                          (may or may not) have been moved, with the “unknown graves”.

                          Part of Peter Arney’s land, still exists to this day (believe it or
                          not).

                          I was told that a person was taken there (several years ago), they had
                          to travel by boat, over a lake, because that was the only way to get to it
                          (suggesting it was probably an island).
                          The person could not remember the name of the lake, and is not reachable
                          (either in a Senior Center or passed away) anymore.

                          My best guess is she was talking about “County Line Island” in
                          Tennessee, the actual borders of Pickett and Clay Counties cross on that island,
                          which was once part of Overton County.

                          How, the person taking her, knew it was Peter Arney’s land, in not
                          known.

                          Is there something still on the island that defines it as Peter’s?

                          Or was it just information “passed down”

                          How would you proceed to find answers to these questions?

                        • Stan Arney
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 15, 2010
                            Hi,
                            I have a Q?, for all of you.
                            How can I get others involved, in my research?
                            What I mean by that, is this:
                            I have been doing my Arney family genealogy research for decades, alone.With the advent of the Internet, the cooperation of other Arney researchers, exploded about 10 years ago.  They were in forums, message boards, groups, etc.However, about 3-4 years ago, all of it came to a quick screeching halt.Many of those researchers (from 10 years ago) are no longer accessible.Whether they simply left the Internet, went into "assisted living facilities" or"passed away", is unknown.  These were the enthusiastic researchers, whoenjoyed doing the research, sharing information and ideas, and had the willingnessto help others.
                            Even though, there are still existing forums, groups, message boards, mailing lists, etc.There seems to be no one actively doing this specific research, that I can find.
                            I have posted, on these sites, imploring for people to speak up, to announcetheir willingness to get involved and to help try to answer the questions, thathave yet to be resolved, to solve the biggest mysteries, etc.Alas, all of my attempts have fallen on "deaf cyber ears".
                            I have even joined forums, message boards, groups, mailing lists, etc.outside of my specific research, trying to implore assistance in solvingquestions, I have been unable to resolve or solve, by myself.Alas, still even these attempts, have come up empty.
                            I do not have the financial resources, to travel the country, going tospecific county archives, courthouses, libraries, etc.
                            I had hoped, that the Internet, would bring access to people, who hada common mission, and would work together to solve these mysteries,but so far, I can see, I'm probably 10 years too late.
                            Any possible suggestions, would be vastly appreciated.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 15, 2010
                              I'd guess this is because 10 yrs ago there was a huge boom in genealogists posting their info, prolly the majority. As younger generations mature they will add theirs too, right now the majority of researchers are mature and have already posted their info with no need to post more unless someone posts a Q they can answer.
                              I myself am done with my researching in earnest and don't visit boards any longer but have offers on there to help others if they need it with either the black sheep searches I offer or info on my own lines one may share.
                              Not all searchers are interested in nailing info on every single name on their lists as they r huge; just interested in closer lines.
                              Also, many people stopped participating in Ancestry and affiliated boards after the fiasco in the news a couple yrs ago.
                              Suggestions? Just keep posting your queries and patiently wait for the next wave of interest pops up.
                              Sunny

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
                                  Sunny, what do you mean by the "fiasco at Ancestry a couple years ago"?

                                  Scott

                                  Re: How can I get others involved
                                  Posted by: "s" circa_1948@...   circa_1948
                                  Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:10 pm (PST)

[...]

                                • barbara erickson
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
                                    Have you gone to a LDS Library? They have information on cd's that might help.
                                    Barb

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 16, 2010
                                      Stan:

                                      This is a suggestion that might or might not work. If you have e-mail
                                      addresses for some of the people who you think might still be alive,
                                      send anything new you might find, even the smallest bit of information
                                      and possibly a family member might just perk up and say "let's see
                                      where this goes" and before you know it you might have someone
                                      interested who might then get someone else interested. If, of course,
                                      nothing happens in a few months, then I would just give up and keep at
                                      it yourself. I know it is more fun if you have co-partners working with
                                      you but many times people don't have the time or interest until it is
                                      too late and then they say "I wish I had.....".

                                      Good luck.

                                      Ina Getzoff
                                      Peakcat@...