Find A Grave Website - AWSOME !!!

  • bonnie dailey
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
      I've been a member/volunteer at findagrave for over year now. It feels odd to be thanked for something i love to do, yet it feels really good too. Thanks Utilitydog.

    • HelenS
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
        To Answer some of your questions.

        If you can't find a sexton at the cemetery, you can call a local funeral
        home and they can help you or give you the name of the sexton in most
        cases.
        It is simple to join FAG, just sign on! This is a massive task and all
        the help is appreciated.
        I found that taking pictures of the tombstones with some notes is the
        fastest way to record the cemetery. Then I download my pictures to my
        computer, titling the jpg with the person's name by cemetery. I then
        write down the information on a pad and start inputting it into FAG.
        This method keeps me from getting mixed up and I am able to make sure I
        get the right name with the picture.
        If you do document a cemetery, be willing to give the memorial to a
        family member. It is frustrating to have family links that you can't
        make because you can't edit the information.
        I hope I have answered some questions, you can send me a personal email
        if you have more questons.

        thanks, Helen

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "utilitydog2004"
        <Aussielover3@...> wrote:

        > To Helen and the rest of the volunteers at the Find A Grave website
        THANK YOU for the wonderful job you do.

        > As Helen mentioned it is completely FREE !!! You can't get a better
        bargan than that.

        > Those new to genealogy keep in mind if you find a cemetery in which
        your relative is located, more than likely, if there are others in the
        same cemetery with with same last name there is a good chance they are
        also related.

        > Nancy

      • picflygirl
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
          I find it rewarding also, especially when someone has been looking for a while to find info on a loved one.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, bonnie dailey <gingerbread16125@...> wrote:

          > I've been a member/volunteer at findagrave for over year now. It feels odd to be thanked for something i love to do, yet it feels really good too. Thanks Utilitydog.

        • colkardil
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
            I also volunteer for Find a grave.
            Also if you can't find a sexton, contact the city clerk that the cemetery is in,if it is a city owned cemetery then the clerk can help you with the cemetery. Some cemteries the sexton is only there part time and some cemteries the office may be a tool shed or storage shed at the cemetery, so you really have to look, especially at old old cemeteries.
            Sue C.
            Idaho