Re: Find A Grave Site

  • lobsterjesus
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
      I agree. Someone took pictures of my ancestors' tombstones and posted them, with captions as to what was written on the stones. Not only were the captions poorly written, they misspelled the surnames.

      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "DABennink" <dabennink@...> wrote:

      > You can also post requests for photos on their site. I respond to many local requests.
      >
      > I would caution you about believing everything you find on findagrave, however. I've seen many, many incorrectly noted dates, incorrectly noted relatives and other errors. Like any other user-sourced information, it needs to be taken with a degree of skepticism.
      >
      > Dawn

    • DABennink
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
        Yes, Tara. I go to the office with names and ask for locations of the graves. More often than not, the sextant will walk me right to the graves I'm seeking. Depends on the cemetery. I leave the wandering to small cemeteries and family plots.

        dawn

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
          How do you go about finding people who are looking for these photos? Is there a group that has a message board or something? Just wondering because I have a camera and will travel...Marsha

          Yes, Tara. I go to the office with names and ask for locations of the graves. More often than not, the sextant will walk me right to the graves I'm seeking. Depends on the cemetery. I leave the wandering to small cemeteries and family plots.

          dawn

        • picflygirl
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
            I agree. I respond to local requests also. Also when we are out traveling as we do a lot on the weekends I take my digital camera. If there is a small cemetary we stop and I will photograph it. I have one disc for my camera that is for cemetarys only. I take a picture of the cemetery name first so that if I go to more than one in the day I can distinguish one pictures are for that one.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "DABennink" <dabennink@...> wrote:

            > You can also post requests for photos on their site. I respond to many local requests.
            >
            > I would caution you about believing everything you find on findagrave, however. I've seen many, many incorrectly noted dates, incorrectly noted relatives and other errors. Like any other user-sourced information, it needs to be taken with a degree of skepticism.
            >
            > Dawn

          • DABennink
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
              :oD Sexton, not sextant. I do that ALL THE TIME! :oD

              Dawn

              Yes, Tara. I go to the office with names and ask for locations of the graves. More often than not, the sextant will walk me right to the graves I'm seeking. Depends on the cemetery. I leave the wandering to small cemeteries and family plots.

            • Kel
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                I signed up today for this project and hope I will be able to help some people out...Marsha