Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Find A Grave Site

  • Kel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
      I once recorded an entire cemetery here in town, not with photos but writing down the information stone by stone, and I must say that I had some difficulty getting it done. The owners of the cemetery did not think it was legal for me to be there, but when I told them I was doing it for an organization online they finally relented. It wasn't easy since I decided to do it in the summer and that isn't fun in Florida...Marsha

      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
        Can I ask a question about findagrave.com? I found it online a year or two
        ago and have found it to be an immense help. I also signed up to be
        photographer. I get requests regularly and was wondering how you all go
        about filling the requests. For example, one cemetery is about 2 miles from
        me. It is MASSIVE. There's easily hundreds, if not a thousand or more
        graves there. If someone is looking for one in particular at a cemetery do
        you go to the office and ask where it's located? I know about a third there
        are not marked, so it could be impossible to find on my own.
        Thanks in advance
        Tara

      • lobsterjesus
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
          I agree. Someone took pictures of my ancestors' tombstones and posted them, with captions as to what was written on the stones. Not only were the captions poorly written, they misspelled the surnames.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "DABennink" <dabennink@...> wrote:

          > You can also post requests for photos on their site. I respond to many local requests.
          >
          > I would caution you about believing everything you find on findagrave, however. I've seen many, many incorrectly noted dates, incorrectly noted relatives and other errors. Like any other user-sourced information, it needs to be taken with a degree of skepticism.
          >
          > Dawn

        • DABennink
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
            Yes, Tara. I go to the office with names and ask for locations of the graves. More often than not, the sextant will walk me right to the graves I'm seeking. Depends on the cemetery. I leave the wandering to small cemeteries and family plots.

            dawn

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
              How do you go about finding people who are looking for these photos? Is there a group that has a message board or something? Just wondering because I have a camera and will travel...Marsha

              Yes, Tara. I go to the office with names and ask for locations of the graves. More often than not, the sextant will walk me right to the graves I'm seeking. Depends on the cemetery. I leave the wandering to small cemeteries and family plots.

              dawn

            • picflygirl
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                I agree. I respond to local requests also. Also when we are out traveling as we do a lot on the weekends I take my digital camera. If there is a small cemetary we stop and I will photograph it. I have one disc for my camera that is for cemetarys only. I take a picture of the cemetery name first so that if I go to more than one in the day I can distinguish one pictures are for that one.

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "DABennink" <dabennink@...> wrote:

                > You can also post requests for photos on their site. I respond to many local requests.
                >
                > I would caution you about believing everything you find on findagrave, however. I've seen many, many incorrectly noted dates, incorrectly noted relatives and other errors. Like any other user-sourced information, it needs to be taken with a degree of skepticism.
                >
                > Dawn

              • DABennink
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                  :oD Sexton, not sextant. I do that ALL THE TIME! :oD

                  Dawn

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                    I signed up today for this project and hope I will be able to help some people out...Marsha