Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Find A Grave Website - AWSOME !!!

  • Michelle Nelson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
      I personally LOVE Find A Grave!!! I have been able to acquire so many of my
      ancestor's headstones with dates that I had wrong, etc.
      Plus I have been able to help others out as well.
      Michelle

      --
      ~*It's never too late to be what you might have been*~

    • bonnie dailey
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
        I've been a member/volunteer at findagrave for over year now. It feels odd to be thanked for something i love to do, yet it feels really good too. Thanks Utilitydog.

      • HelenS
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
          To Answer some of your questions.

          If you can't find a sexton at the cemetery, you can call a local funeral
          home and they can help you or give you the name of the sexton in most
          cases.
          It is simple to join FAG, just sign on! This is a massive task and all
          the help is appreciated.
          I found that taking pictures of the tombstones with some notes is the
          fastest way to record the cemetery. Then I download my pictures to my
          computer, titling the jpg with the person's name by cemetery. I then
          write down the information on a pad and start inputting it into FAG.
          This method keeps me from getting mixed up and I am able to make sure I
          get the right name with the picture.
          If you do document a cemetery, be willing to give the memorial to a
          family member. It is frustrating to have family links that you can't
          make because you can't edit the information.
          I hope I have answered some questions, you can send me a personal email
          if you have more questons.

          thanks, Helen

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "utilitydog2004"
          <Aussielover3@...> wrote:

          > To Helen and the rest of the volunteers at the Find A Grave website
          THANK YOU for the wonderful job you do.

          > As Helen mentioned it is completely FREE !!! You can't get a better
          bargan than that.

          > Those new to genealogy keep in mind if you find a cemetery in which
          your relative is located, more than likely, if there are others in the
          same cemetery with with same last name there is a good chance they are
          also related.

          > Nancy

        • picflygirl
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
            I find it rewarding also, especially when someone has been looking for a while to find info on a loved one.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, bonnie dailey <gingerbread16125@...> wrote:

            > I've been a member/volunteer at findagrave for over year now. It feels odd to be thanked for something i love to do, yet it feels really good too. Thanks Utilitydog.

          • colkardil
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
              I also volunteer for Find a grave.
              Also if you can't find a sexton, contact the city clerk that the cemetery is in,if it is a city owned cemetery then the clerk can help you with the cemetery. Some cemteries the sexton is only there part time and some cemteries the office may be a tool shed or storage shed at the cemetery, so you really have to look, especially at old old cemeteries.
              Sue C.
              Idaho