Find A Grave Website - AWSOME !!!

  • utilitydog2004
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
      To Helen and the rest of the volunteers at the Find A Grave website THANK YOU for the wonderful job you do.

      As Helen mentioned it is completely FREE !!! You can't get a better bargan than that.

      Those new to genealogy keep in mind if you find a cemetery in which your relative is located, more than likely, if there are others in the same cemetery with with same last name there is a good chance they are also related.

      Nancy
    • Michelle Nelson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
        I personally LOVE Find A Grave!!! I have been able to acquire so many of my
        ancestor's headstones with dates that I had wrong, etc.
        Plus I have been able to help others out as well.
        Michelle

        --
        ~*It's never too late to be what you might have been*~

      • bonnie dailey
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2010
          I've been a member/volunteer at findagrave for over year now. It feels odd to be thanked for something i love to do, yet it feels really good too. Thanks Utilitydog.

        • HelenS
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
            To Answer some of your questions.

            If you can't find a sexton at the cemetery, you can call a local funeral
            home and they can help you or give you the name of the sexton in most
            cases.
            It is simple to join FAG, just sign on! This is a massive task and all
            the help is appreciated.
            I found that taking pictures of the tombstones with some notes is the
            fastest way to record the cemetery. Then I download my pictures to my
            computer, titling the jpg with the person's name by cemetery. I then
            write down the information on a pad and start inputting it into FAG.
            This method keeps me from getting mixed up and I am able to make sure I
            get the right name with the picture.
            If you do document a cemetery, be willing to give the memorial to a
            family member. It is frustrating to have family links that you can't
            make because you can't edit the information.
            I hope I have answered some questions, you can send me a personal email
            if you have more questons.

            thanks, Helen

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "utilitydog2004"
            <Aussielover3@...> wrote:

            > To Helen and the rest of the volunteers at the Find A Grave website
            THANK YOU for the wonderful job you do.

            > As Helen mentioned it is completely FREE !!! You can't get a better
            bargan than that.

            > Those new to genealogy keep in mind if you find a cemetery in which
            your relative is located, more than likely, if there are others in the
            same cemetery with with same last name there is a good chance they are
            also related.

            > Nancy

          • picflygirl
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
              I find it rewarding also, especially when someone has been looking for a while to find info on a loved one.

              --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, bonnie dailey <gingerbread16125@...> wrote:

              > I've been a member/volunteer at findagrave for over year now. It feels odd to be thanked for something i love to do, yet it feels really good too. Thanks Utilitydog.

            • colkardil
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
                I also volunteer for Find a grave.
                Also if you can't find a sexton, contact the city clerk that the cemetery is in,if it is a city owned cemetery then the clerk can help you with the cemetery. Some cemteries the sexton is only there part time and some cemteries the office may be a tool shed or storage shed at the cemetery, so you really have to look, especially at old old cemeteries.
                Sue C.
                Idaho