Find A Grave Site

  • HelenS
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
      I am sure that most of you are aware of the WWW:Findagrave cemetery site, but for the newcomers. This is an awesome site to try locating your family members. It is completely free and easy to use. Just remember that not all cemeteries have been entered and not all cemeteries are complete. If you can't find your relative, keep trying, all of us voluteers are doing our best to fill in the information. If you have any questions, send me a personal email and I will try to help you.
    • DABennink
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
        You can also post requests for photos on their site. I respond to many local requests.

        I would caution you about believing everything you find on findagrave, however. I've seen many, many incorrectly noted dates, incorrectly noted relatives and other errors. Like any other user-sourced information, it needs to be taken with a degree of skepticism.

        Dawn

        I am sure that most of you are aware of the WWW:Findagrave cemetery site, but for the newcomers. This is an awesome site to try locating your family members. It is completely free and easy to use. Just remember that not all cemeteries have been entered and not all cemeteries are complete. If you can't find your relative, keep trying, all of us voluteers are doing our best to fill in the information. If you have any questions, send me a personal email and I will try to help you.

      • picflygirl
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
          I use Find A Grave a lot. I also go out and take photos of graves. If it is not already on the site I will put it on there. I only put the information on the headstone on there though. I have turned quite a few over to different people who are family members of the memorial. Then they can add the pertinent information for that person. I have had a couple turned over to me that are family members of mine.
          Darlene

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "HelenS" <has_hotflashes2003@...> wrote:

          > I am sure that most of you are aware of the WWW:Findagrave cemetery site, but for the newcomers. This is an awesome site to try locating your family members. It is completely free and easy to use. Just remember that not all cemeteries have been entered and not all cemeteries are complete. If you can't find your relative, keep trying, all of us voluteers are doing our best to fill in the information. If you have any questions, send me a personal email and I will try to help you.

        • Kel
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
            I once recorded an entire cemetery here in town, not with photos but writing down the information stone by stone, and I must say that I had some difficulty getting it done. The owners of the cemetery did not think it was legal for me to be there, but when I told them I was doing it for an organization online they finally relented. It wasn't easy since I decided to do it in the summer and that isn't fun in Florida...Marsha

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
              Can I ask a question about findagrave.com? I found it online a year or two
              ago and have found it to be an immense help. I also signed up to be
              photographer. I get requests regularly and was wondering how you all go
              about filling the requests. For example, one cemetery is about 2 miles from
              me. It is MASSIVE. There's easily hundreds, if not a thousand or more
              graves there. If someone is looking for one in particular at a cemetery do
              you go to the office and ask where it's located? I know about a third there
              are not marked, so it could be impossible to find on my own.
              Thanks in advance
              Tara

            • lobsterjesus
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
                I agree. Someone took pictures of my ancestors' tombstones and posted them, with captions as to what was written on the stones. Not only were the captions poorly written, they misspelled the surnames.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
                  Yes, Tara. I go to the office with names and ask for locations of the graves. More often than not, the sextant will walk me right to the graves I'm seeking. Depends on the cemetery. I leave the wandering to small cemeteries and family plots.

                  dawn

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
                    How do you go about finding people who are looking for these photos? Is there a group that has a message board or something? Just wondering because I have a camera and will travel...Marsha

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                      I agree. I respond to local requests also. Also when we are out traveling as we do a lot on the weekends I take my digital camera. If there is a small cemetary we stop and I will photograph it. I have one disc for my camera that is for cemetarys only. I take a picture of the cemetery name first so that if I go to more than one in the day I can distinguish one pictures are for that one.

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "DABennink" <dabennink@...> wrote:

                      > You can also post requests for photos on their site. I respond to many local requests.
                      >
                      > I would caution you about believing everything you find on findagrave, however. I've seen many, many incorrectly noted dates, incorrectly noted relatives and other errors. Like any other user-sourced information, it needs to be taken with a degree of skepticism.
                      >
                      > Dawn

                    • DABennink
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                        :oD Sexton, not sextant. I do that ALL THE TIME! :oD

                        Dawn

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                          I signed up today for this project and hope I will be able to help some people out...Marsha