ellis island ?

  • Pamela Gray
    Message 1 of 16 , May 31, 2010
      Raphaëlle,

      Here is a website link to Ellis Island arrivals.  This link should get you to the page that lists all Pomi immigrants/arrivals at Ellis Island.

      http://www.ellisisland.org/search/matchMore.asp?LNM=POMI&PLNM=POMI&kind=exact&offset=0&dwpdone=1

      On this page there were two Giuseppe Pomi that arrived at Ellis Island.  First arrived in 1899, he was 47 at the time of arrival, the other was Giuseppe F. Pomi that arrived in 1902.

      Also, there are other ports that your relatives may have arrived at besides Ellis Island.  Don't know where the records are, but I am sure someone else here does.

      Sorry not much help.

      Pamela

    • Peakcat@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
        Raphaelle:

        You might try Stevemorse.org. He has a terrific site that has an Ellis
        Island site and the other place people came in was Castle Garden which is also
        downtown NY. Castle Garden was used until everyone starting coming in to
        Ellis Island. His site is also free and contains a tremendous information.
        You also might play around with the spelling of the names you are looking for
        since they were spelled either the way they sounded or the way either the
        immigrant or inspector thought they were spelled.

        Good luck.

        Ina Getzoff
        _Peakcat@..._ (mailto:Peakcat@...)

      • barbara erickson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 1, 2010
          One of the other places to check is www.castlegarden.org it was open from 1855-1924. I hope it helps. Barb

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
            I see repeated here the idea that the clerks at Ellis Island changed
            people's names.

            No. The names you see on the manifests were written by ship's personnel
            at the port of departure from lists of ticket purchasers. That's why
            you will see names crossed out. Those are people who never boarded the
            ship after buying the ticket. (Maybe they arrived at the port late due
            to travel problems, etc.)

            People changed their own names after arrival or before boarding, but
            Ellis Island clerks had nothing to do with it. Perhaps some stuck with
            the spelling on the manifest because it was easier or because they
            didn't know how to read or write their own names. Let's not forget that
            millions of immigrants were illiterate or at least illiterate in English.

            That said, yes some of the misspellings were horrendous and even when
            the spelling was ok, the handwriting of the ship's purser or whoever
            wrote the lists was illegible to the people who transcribed them for the
            Ellis Island website. My own favorite was a woman named Grunfeld who is
            indexed as Ojrunfeld. If she hadn't been traveling with her
            sister-in-law whose name I recognized, I'd never have found her.

            Joy Weaver

          • Louise
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
              My husband's grandparents all came through Ellis Island and their names were changed there..they, themselves, did not change them. The names were not totally changed, but had a letter eliminated or had the last two letters switched and it was done by the person who recorded it, NOT by the persons themselves. Oh, and they all spoke English well enough to have hurt feelings when this was done to their names, which all had meanings and they took pride in. Maybe you had to be there to know.

              Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
                Names are changed for many different reasons. Some who came to the US did change their names to be more American. They choose their own names. I know this because my husband's grandmother did this. I could find all of her records here in the US but could not find them in Holland. After talking to her, I finally found her birth record in Holland because I had her Dutch name. When my husband and I wanted to give our daughter a Dutch name, she became upset. She said she came to the US to be American and that we were to give our daughter an American name. Period.

                Others came to the US and had their names changed by the person who was recording the information. This could result from accents, lack of English language, pure laziness, or handwriting. Of course, there can be many more reasons. You must remember what Ellis Island was like. It is not like going through customs now.

                All females at the time had to be escorted. So they had to either be traveling with a male relative or be picked up by a male relative. They were horded through many passages like cattle after a long journey on the sea. There were seen by doctors to make sure they were not sick. They ran the risk of being turned away at the whim of people working there. Most just wanted to get through as fast as is possible so many felt hurt when names were changed but would never have spoken up in fear of being turned away. They had a dream of a better life her in America and just wanted to get started.

                Hope this helps in understanding that there are many reasons why names are changed.

                Tina

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Louise <glwrose@...> wrote:

                > My husband's grandparents all came through Ellis Island and their names were changed there..they, themselves, did not change them. The names were not totally changed, but had a letter eliminated or had the last two letters switched and it was done by the person who recorded it, NOT by the persons themselves. Oh, and they all spoke English well enough to have hurt feelings when this was done to their names, which all had meanings and they took pride in. Maybe you had to be there to know.
                >

                > Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

              • Walter Palmer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
                  On Jun 2, 2010, at 11:00 AM, Louise wrote:

                  > My husband's grandparents all came through Ellis Island and their names were changed there..they, themselves, did not change them. The names were not totally changed, but had a letter eliminated or had the last two letters switched and it was done by the person who recorded it, NOT by the persons themselves. Oh, and they all spoke English well enough to have hurt feelings when this was done to their names, which all had meanings and they took pride in. Maybe you had to be there to know.

                  My mother's father had his name changed by a teacher when he was in school He spelled it 'Boos' and she told him it was 'Boose'. The name is spelled both ways by his ancestors, sometimes by the same ancestor. They came from Basel, Switzerland and the name, in both forms, is extremely common. Grandpa was a fourth generation American - it's never too late.

                  I am an attorney and used to volunteer helping people in Cook County, IL change their names. You haven't lived until you have sat across a desk from a 70 year old named "Boy Child --------". It's all coming out in the wash because they were given a 'proper' name after they left the hospital and have used it all their lives. Now they are applying for Social Security and passports. Things have become expensive in a post 9/11 world because they have to harmonize the name on the birth certificate with the name in the Social Security records. Government on all levels wants to use the exact name on the birth certificate.
                • DABennink
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
                    More likely than not, the name was misspelled on the ship's manifest and the Ellis Island clerks used that spelling, as they were instructed to do. It was possible to have the misspelling corrected if one was adamant enough and made the concerted effort.. I am old enough to have known plenty of relatives and friends who came through there and when there was a name change issue, that was the problem. I have absolutely never spoken to a soul who had their name changed against their will by a clerk at Ellis Island. I had extensive conversations with a group of my grandmother's relatives and friends who came over here in the 20's about this very topic. They WERE there.

                    Dawn

                    My husband's grandparents all came through Ellis Island and their names were changed there..they, themselves, did not change them. The names were not totally changed, but had a letter eliminated or had the last two letters switched and it was done by the person who recorded it, NOT by the persons themselves. Oh, and they all spoke English well enough to have hurt feelings when this was done to their names, which all had meanings and they took pride in. Maybe you had to be there to know.

                  • Joseph
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 2, 2010
                      Does anyone have the website address for Ellis Island records?

                      Joy, I knew Weaver's in Hagerstown, Maryland, and also here in Baxter
                      County, Arkansas. One is one of our town's deputies.

                      Joseph

                      On 6/2/2010 7:28 AM, Joy Weaver wrote:
                      > I see repeated here the idea that the clerks at Ellis Island changed
                      > people's names.
                      >
                      > No. The names you see on the manifests were written by ship's personnel
                      > at the port of departure from lists of ticket purchasers. That's why
                      > you will see names crossed out. Those are people who never boarded the
                      > ship after buying the ticket. (Maybe they arrived at the port late due
                      > to travel problems, etc.)
                      >
                      > People changed their own names after arrival or before boarding, but
                      > Ellis Island clerks had nothing to do with it. Perhaps some stuck with
                      > the spelling on the manifest because it was easier or because they
                      > didn't know how to read or write their own names. Let's not forget that
                      > millions of immigrants were illiterate or at least illiterate in English.
                      >
                      > That said, yes some of the misspellings were horrendous and even when
                      > the spelling was ok, the handwriting of the ship's purser or whoever
                      > wrote the lists was illegible to the people who transcribed them for the
                      > Ellis Island website. My own favorite was a woman named Grunfeld who is
                      > indexed as Ojrunfeld. If she hadn't been traveling with her
                      > sister-in-law whose name I recognized, I'd never have found her.
                      >
                      > Joy Weaver

                    • Joy Weaver
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                        This does not negate what I wrote, actually. The names were written at
                        the port of departure, so that's where the spelling problem occurred.
                        Your husband's grandparents would not likely have seen the manifest
                        until they landed and were being processed.

                        Joy

                      • Louise
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                          My husband's grandfather always spelled his name correctly even though they had changed the last two letters. It was eventually spelled the incorrect way so long and by so many that the younger ones accepted the new spelling but all the grave monuments have the correct spelling as that is, in some tiny way,  their final victory over those who tried to change the lovely name which had great meanings.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 3, 2010
                            AMEN!

                            Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

                            Names are changed for many different reasons. Some who came to the US did change their names to be more American. They choose their own names. I know this because my husband's grandmother did this. I could find all of her records here in the US but could not find them in Holland. After talking to her, I finally found her birth record in Holland because I had her Dutch name. When my husband and I wanted to give our daughter a Dutch name, she became upset. She said she came to the US to be American and that we were to give our daughter an American name. Period.

                            Others came to the US and had their names changed by the person who was recording the information. This could result from accents, lack of English language, pure laziness, or handwriting. Of course, there can be many more reasons. You must remember what Ellis Island was like. It is not like going through customs now.

                            All females at the time had to be escorted. So they had to either be traveling with a male relative or be picked up by a male relative. They were horded through many passages like cattle after a long journey on the sea. There were seen by doctors to make sure they were not sick. They ran the risk of being turned away at the whim of people working there. Most just wanted to get through as fast as is possible so many felt hurt when names were changed but would never have spoken up in fear of being turned away. They had a dream of a better life her in America and just wanted to get started.

                            Hope this helps in understanding that there are many reasons why names are changed.

                            Tina

                            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Louise <glwrose@...> wrote:

                            > My husband's grandparents all came through Ellis Island and their names were changed there..they, themselves, did not change them. The names were not totally changed, but had a letter eliminated or had the last two letters switched and it was done by the person who recorded it, NOT by the persons themselves. Oh, and they all spoke English well enough to have hurt feelings when this was done to their names, which all had meanings and they took pride in. Maybe you had to be there to know.
                            >

                            > Never forget that there is always a blue sky and shining sun above the darkest clouds.

                          • Louise
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 4, 2010
                              I am going by what they told of their own experiences. These people were from different  areas and did not arrive here at the same time nor on the same ship yet both families gave this account of the name changes happening once they got here. They said they were addressed by their correct names while on the ship so I have to believe what they said. I do not discount your knowledge but I also know we are all human and  when there are so many factors involved, different years, people who were at the departure points and here at Ellis Island, ships, etc, there will be more than oone story and they may all have validity to the particular person. it reminds me of the old parlor game where you start a sentence and pass it from person to person and by the time it gets back to the original person, not one word is the same as when it started.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 5, 2010
                                I agree that there were probably almost as many ways to change a name as
                                there were people to do it. My posts were based on the information I
                                have read on several different sites about how the immigrants were
                                listed and processed. A few links are copied below. They all say the
                                same thing, essentially.

                                Joy