Memorial Day in the US

  • TinaS
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2010
      Today is Memorial Day! List some of your military ancestors (who they are, where they served, etc) in honor of their service and sacrifice.

      Thank you to all of our Genealogy Research Club members who have served or are serving now. Thank you to the families who have shared their loved ones with our country for our freedoms!!

      Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war). It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays), though several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19 in Texas, April 26 in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10 in South Carolina; and June 3 (Jefferson Davis' birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee.

      For more info you can visit http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html
    • Roberta Baum
      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2010
        Hello, tolksteel: It is my understanding that only Union dead were buried in Arlington; not Confederate. As far as listing my family members who were in the service: Two of my granduncles fought in WW1; both returned. My aunt's husband (my uncle) served in WW11 in the Seabees in the Pacific Theater. Roberta Baum

        To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 11 , May 31, 2010
          Roberta,

          I do not know. That is a very good question that I plan to try to research. Does anyone else know? Were both confederate and union soldiers buried at Arlington National Cemetery? I got my info from a website on Memorial Day.

          Learn something new every day and I am grateful for the ability to learn it!!

          As for my list of soldiers, I would have to list my husband, my dad, my uncle, my grandfather, Charles Edward Knox, who on his way by train home from WWII sent a telegraph to his future wife asking her "Are those bells I am hearing?" Her reply was "No, they are cow bells he is hearing!!" LOL. They got married shortly after he arrived home and celebrated over 50 years together. My list could go on for almost every major battle the US was in including the Revolutionary War. I am proud of my soldiers!!!

          TolkSteel

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Roberta Baum <toutietree@...> wrote:

          > Hello, tolksteel: It is my understanding that only Union dead were buried in Arlington; not Confederate. As far as listing my family members who were in the service: Two of my granduncles fought in WW1; both returned. My aunt's husband (my uncle) served in WW11 in the Seabees in the Pacific Theater. Roberta Baum
          >

          > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com
          > From: tolksteel@...
          > Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:14:33 +0000
          > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Memorial Day in the US
          >

          > Today is Memorial Day! List some of your military ancestors (who they are, where they served, etc) in honor of their service and sacrifice.
          >
          > Thank you to all of our Genealogy Research Club members who have served or are serving now. Thank you to the families who have shared their loved ones with our country for our freedoms!!
          >
          > Memorial Day was officially proclaimed on 5 May 1868 by General John Logan, national commander of the Grand Army of the Republic, in his General Order No. 11, and was first observed on 30 May 1868, when flowers were placed on the graves of Union and Confederate soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery. The first state to officially recognize the holiday was New York in 1873. By 1890 it was recognized by all of the northern states. The South refused to acknowledge the day, honoring their dead on separate days until after World War I (when the holiday changed from honoring just those who died fighting in the Civil War to honoring Americans who died fighting in any war). It is now celebrated in almost every State on the last Monday in May (passed by Congress with the National Holiday Act of 1971 (P.L. 90 - 363) to ensure a three day weekend for Federal holidays), though several southern states have an additional separate day for honoring the Confederate war dead: January 19 in Texas, April 26 in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, and Mississippi; May 10 in South Carolina; and June 3 (Jefferson Davis' birthday) in Louisiana and Tennessee.
          >
          > For more info you can visit http://www.usmemorialday.org/backgrnd.html

        • Rachel
          Message 4 of 11 , May 31, 2010
            Based off of their official site, there are both sides buried at
            the cemetery.

            http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/visitor_information/confederate_memorial.html

            I actually have quite a few that have served (and some still active on my
            husband's side) going back as far as the civil war. Hope everyone out there
            serving had a very safe day!
            <http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/visitor_information/confederate_memorial.html>
            Rachel

            "What I always do, stay out of trouble.... .... Badly" - 11th Doctor
            "This is my life Jackie, it�s not fun, it�s not smart, it�s just standing up
            and make a decision because no one else will� - The 9th Doctor
            "It is like Godzilla vs Bambi and we are Bambi" - Unknown person

          • Roberta Baum
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
              Hello, Rachel: You could've knocked me over with a feather! I plead ignorance on this matter. It may be because my family is from WV, a state which had both Union and
              Confederate soldiers fighting (and not just the war.) I stand corrected. Roberta

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                It is my understanding that my Great Grandpa Harrison Benjamin Thompson
                (who was born in 1835) served in the Union Army during the Civil War.My
                only
                real info on this is in a census.How do I find out the details on him.Like
                who
                did he serve under what battles was he in or where was he located? I have
                nothing
                on this. I know that he was married with a two year old child in 1870
                living in Missouri.
                He would became a farmer with land(and 15 kids) so he was no life term
                military man.
                Also would the fact that he was born in Kentucky mean anything. I am not
                sure where
                he was living at age 26 in 1861.That's to young to be an officer of major
                rank right?
                He was married 40 years in a 1910 census (one year before his death) to
                Elizabeth.
                The two year old in 1870 might have been from her first husband (the child
                seems
                to disappear after that. maybe dies).
                Can someone help me find any Union Army info on him?

                Mike

              • circa_1948
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                  I have many, my brother being the most recent but as for a recognized hero I'll tell about my cousin 1ST Lt Francis Akins.
                  A video explaining the mission of the Frantic 7 - I'll Be Seeing You and crew can be seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf5WsGOheZE
                  He was pilot of the "I'll Be Seeing You", shot down over Poland during a mercy flight 18 Sep 1944.
                  He was awarded the Purple Heart Medal, the Air Medal (with Oak Leaf Clusters), the Cross of Polish Underground Home Army
                  and the Polish Cross of Valor.

                  Francis E. Akins entered military service from Pennsylvania. One of the last to be rushed through a nine-month training course, he would
                  take control of a B-17 bomber during the war. Francis was stationed with the 568th Bomber Squadron - 390th Bomber Group, Heavy with the 13th Combat Bombardment Wing of the U.S. Eighth Air Force.
                  The 390th Bomber Group consisted of the following squadrons of B-17's:
                  . 568th Bomb Squadron
                  . 569th Bomb Squadron
                  . 570th Bomb Squadron
                  . 571st Bomb Squadron

                  The group flew the B-17 Flying Fortress as part of the Eighth Air Force's strategic bombing campaign and operated chiefly against strategic objectives, flying many missions with the aid of pathfinders. The 390th began combat on 12 August 1943.

                  On September 18, 1944, Francis and his crew took off in their bomber, known as the "I'll Be Seeing You", from their base in Framlingham, England to begin Mission #191. It would be his fifteenth and final mission.

                  Part of a mission of mercy to air drop canisters of food, weapons, and medical supplies to the bedraggled Polish Underground Army in Warsaw during what became known as "The Warsaw Uprising", the "I'll Be Seeing You" was accompanied by 107 other B-17's, as well as 152 fighters. During this mission, Francis' plane was hit by German flak. Three men managed to bail out successfully before the bomber hit the ground. Unfortunately, they drifted into an area north of Warsaw that was already in the hands of German SS troops. As they slowly fell to earth, they were raked by gunfire. One man was killed, the other two were captured and spent four months in Nazi POW camps. Francis E. Akins and the other 6 members of his crew were killed when the bomber hit the ground and exploded. The "I'll Be Seeing You" would be the only plane lost in the mission.

                  The people of Poland never forgot the sacrifice of these men. In an article written by Elizatbeth Sullivan, a columnist for the Plain Dealer newspaper in Cleveland, Ohio, their bravery is remembered by Mr. Vince Stefanek, a fellow crew member.....

                  A Long Memory for Heroes;
                  B-17 Crew's Effort to Aid Uprising is Still Cherished in Warsaw
                  by Elizabeth Sullivan, Plain Dealer

                  In most histories of war it would be but a
                  footnote.

                  A lone B-17 bomber, nicknamed "I'll Be
                  Seeing You" by her crew, was shot down over
                  Nazi-occupied Poland 60 years ago this
                  Saturday. Of the more than 100 Flying
                  Fortresses that dropped canisters of weapons,
                  food and medical supplies for rebelling Poles
                  during the Warsaw Uprising, it was the only
                  one lost.

                  All of the other bombers - even those hit by
                  shrapnel or zinged by the swarms of Nazi Messerschmitt 109 fighters
                  and a handful of Focke-Wulf FW-190s sent up to engage them -
                  managed to fly on to a Soviet airfield in Ukraine.
                  Those included a B-17 nicknamed "Bugs Bunny," whose pilot was
                  shot dead in mid-air, but whose crew managed to land her, as well as
                  take out several enemy planes.

                  The mission became an almost mythological event to the Poles who
                  witnessed the crash of the "I'll Be Seeing You" or heard about it later.
                  It cemented in the Polish mind the idea that they weren't abandoned -
                  even though the airdrop itself was more or less a flop, with 90 percent
                  of supplies falling into German hands. It was the only such mission
                  when allied aircraft were able to use Soviet airfields to resupply the
                  Poles; British pilots flying out of Italy had suffered heavy losses.
                  After 63 days, the uprising was crushed and nearly 200,000 Poles lost
                  their lives as Soviet troops failed to liberate warsaw in time.
                  But even footnotes can be grand events, if they stand for some larger
                  ideal or hope.

                  Today, one of the roads through Lomianki, Poland, where 10 U.S.
                  airmen lost their lives Sept. 18, 1944, including the pilots of two
                  downed P-51 fighters, is named Francis E. Akins St., after the pilot of
                  the ill-fated B-17. A tall granite monument memorializes the sacrifices
                  of his crew, and the son of a local man who was 12 when the bomber
                  was shot down is writing his own history of his "favorite story" from
                  childhood.

                  The footnote also has led to military honors from the Poles and
                  Soviets, along with visits to Lomianki by Vice Presidents George
                  H.W. Bush in 1987 and Al Gore in 1994.

                  And Vince Stefanek of Middleburg Heights still can say, "I lost eight
                  of my crew members that day, "even though he flew on a different B-17.

                  Stefanek was a 19-year-old waist gunner who had trained with Akins'
                  crew and flew his first combat mission from England with them, but
                  had been moved into a reserve gunner pool.

                  For the Sept. 18 mission,
                  he volunteered as tail gunner on the "I'll Get By," flying to the rear of
                  the "I'll Be Seeing You" in the same formation.

                  Stefanek, who helped bag a Messerschmitt that day, says he saw three
                  white parachute canopies below him, but didn't know until later that
                  they were from "his" plane.

                  Reconstruction by Mark J. Conversino, an Air Force historian, and
                  others indicate that even though Akins had been shot in the face, he
                  was still trying to steer the stricken B-17 to safety, along with his co-
                  pilot, Forrest "Doc" Shaw, when the fire in one of the engines spread
                  and the plane began to disintegrate, exploding at about 8,000 feet.

                  Only a few of the crew managed to get out in time, then had the bad
                  luck of parachuting into an area north of Warsaw that already was in
                  German SS hands. Raked by gunfire as they drifted to earth, only two
                  of the 10 members of the B-17 crew were captured alive. Both spent
                  four months as German POWs and have since died.

                  "I have a little part of me in Poland," says Stefanek, now a 79-year-
                  old retired insurance executive, and it turns out he's not speaking
                  metaphorically.

                  He recently sent his military prayer book to Jerzy Szczesniak, the
                  36-year-old son of the Lomianski villager who witnessed the crash 60
                  years ago, who is researching a history of the event.

                  Garnett Akins Rainey of Richmond, Va., says her first husband's
                  death not only gave Poles "great hopes that they would be freed
                  shortly," but also fulfilled her husband's sense of duty.

                  "He would have done anything to try and save people any time," she
                  says of the former Pennsylvania railroad conductor who was one of
                  the last to be rushed through a nine-month training course before
                  taking the controls of the big bombers (later pilots went to college).

                  They had been married just two years, and had a small daughter,
                  when he died.

                  Within two weeks, his brother Hugh Akins, an 82nd Airborne
                  paratrooper, also was dead, killed in action elsewhere in Europe.

                  In 1978, the townspeople of Lomianki, Poland raised money and erected a memorial (pictured below) to the crew of the "I'll Be Seeing You" despite threats from the Communist government. The mayor of the town, Lucjan Sokolowski told of how the townspeople watched the plane crash in a courtyard that night, pulled bodies from the wreckage and how they attempted to hide the survivors, only to see them become prisoners of the Germans. Today, the townspeople of Lomianki typically commemorate these brave men on September 18th of each year.

                • mccgram
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                  • DABennink
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                      There is a tree on ancestry.com that has a photo. I can help you reach that person if you like.

                      I find the following records there as well:

                      U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
                      about Harrison Thompson
                      Name: Harrison Thompson
                      Side: Union
                      Regiment State/Origin: Kentucky
                      Regiment Name: 12 Kentucky Cavalry
                      Regiment Name Expanded: 12th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry
                      Company: L
                      Rank In: Private
                      Rank In Expanded: Private
                      Rank Out: Private
                      Rank Out Expanded: Private
                      Film Number: M386 roll 27

                      U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
                      about Harrison Thompson
                      Name: Harrison Thompson
                      Side: Union
                      Regiment State/Origin: Missouri
                      Regiment Name: 5 Missouri S.M. Cav.
                      Regiment Name Expanded: 5th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry
                      Company: B
                      Rank In: Private
                      Rank In Expanded: Private
                      Rank Out: Private
                      Rank Out Expanded: Private
                      Film Number: M390 roll 48

                      U.S. Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865
                      about Harrison Thompson
                      Name: Harrison Thompson
                      Side: Union
                      Regiment State/Origin: Missouri
                      Regiment Name: 4 Missouri S.M. Cavalry
                      Regiment Name Expanded: 4th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry
                      Company: E
                      Rank In: Corporal
                      Rank In Expanded: Corporal
                      Rank Out: Private
                      Rank Out Expanded: Private
                      Film Number: M390 roll 48

                      I don't know if any of them are the right one, but they are places you can look. If you google the regiment, perhaps there is some information in there that would make sense for you.

                      I found some pension records, but none with a wife Elizabeth noted. I will poke around a bit more.

                      Dawn

                    • tenmans38@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
                        Yes Dawn I would really appreciate that photo help.
                        I also have discovered there were two Harrison Thompson's
                        from Illinois who served in the Civil War.The reason this
                        might be important is because wife Elizabeth was born
                        in Illinois (her Father in Ohio)I think that Harrison traveled
                        thru Illinois (could they have met and married there?)to get
                        to Missouri. I would think that those two had to link up
                        somewhere along the way. Harrison clearly stayed put
                        in Missouri where he started his large family with Elizabeth.

                        Mike

                        Posted by: "DABennink"

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 2, 2010
                          Thanks so much for this. I found that one Harrison Thompson
                          from Kentucky who was in the Civil War. I noticed there were
                          a lot of George Thompson's there who served as well.That was
                          Harrison's Dad's name.Is there anyway I can link these two
                          together as a family in Kentucky?I don't even have a clue as to
                          what county they lived in. George is my wall that stays beyond
                          my reach. I do not know if he had other children or if he really
                          died in Missouri or was even buried there (or even went there).
                          George is one Jasper that is hard to pin down except that he
                          was born in Kentucky as was his son Harrison on Jan 22 1835.
                          Are there clues here as in ways of finding George?

                          Mike

                          Posted by: "mccgram"
                          Mike ck out some of these:
                          _http://www.itd.http://www.ithttp://wwhtt_