Looking for help with a few grandfathers. Surnames are McCarl and Scully

  • synmacd111
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2010
      My name is Cynthia Scully MacDonald. I've been searching for awhile, but can't seem to find what I need on two of my grandfathers' ancestry.

      Samuel McCarl is my father's mother's father(born April 26, 1834, possibly born in Greene Co, PA). His daughter, my grandmother, was Susan Isabelle McCarl (born October 6, 1866 in Greene Co, PA), known as Belle. Her grandfather may also have been Samuel McCarl (possibly born 1814 in Greene County, PA), but I have no verification of that. Her mother may have been Elizabeth Fonner, who may have been the daughter of James Fonner.

      I have many more "may have beens" on this line, but will stop there for now. My goal with the McCarl's is to find out about Belle's father Samuel, and his father, who may have also been Samuel. I have researched the Greene Co, PA census and found father Samuel in the 1870 and 1880 census. I believe he died before the 1900 census, and have so far found nothing in the remains of the 1890 census.

      My sisters believe the McCarl's migrated from Scotland, but could as easily have been of Irish descent.

      My father's father was named John Scully. He was born between 1860 and 1865 depending on who I ask. He died in 1950 or 1951. He was an orphan. He may have been born in Buffalo, New York. I found a listing for a 6 year old John Scully in an almshouse in Buffalo, New York 1870 census. I also found a 15 year old John Scully in some sort of group facility in the 1880 census in Greene Co. PA. He married Belle in 1890, according to a fellow researcher who states:

      "His marriage license names him as John Skulley. Rev. J.W. English ,of the U.P. Parsonsge in Sturgeon, PA, married John Skulley and Belle McCarl on February 06, 1890 . The marriage license was issued by the Orphans Court of Washington Co., PA, license #1954."

      The little I know about him is that he was from "Buffalo" but there is or was a Buffalo Township in Pennsylvania, as well as the obvious Buffalo, New York.

      I welcome any suggestions

      Cynthia
    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2010
        Cynthia -

        > 1880 Richhill, Greene, Pennsylvania
        > McCarl, Samuel/46, Elizabeth/44, Eliza Ann/20, James A/18,
        > (), George B/16, Susan I/13, Mary A/11, Elizabeth E/10, Eva/7
        >
        > 1870 Morris, Greene, Pennsylvania
        > McCarl, Samuel/36, Elizabeth/32, Lucinda/12, James/10,
        > (), Eliza/9, George/6, Bell/3, Mary/2

        Looking at Ancestry.com -
        1860 Morris (P.O. Days Store), Greene, PA
        McCarl, Saml/26, Elisabeth M/22, Lucinda J/2, Eliza K(?)/7m
        (living next to household of Joseph/29 & Eliza/29 McCarl)

        1850 - trying to find Samuel McCarl in Greene County (PA) -
        query: SAM* MCC* - the "best match" is
        Samuel McCarrell (age) 26 with wife Hannah (Richhill,Greene,PA)
        query: SAM* MC - the "best match" is
        Samuel Mc Carrol 16 in Huffman household (Washington,Greene,PA)
        query: JOS* MC - the "best match" is
        Joshua Mc Carrol 20 with wife Eliza/19 (Washington,Greene,PA)

        Okay - it appears that Saml & Joseph McCarl (from 1860) appear in the 1850 census as Samuel & Joseph "Mc Carrol".

        Looking for MC CAR* and MCCAR* in Washington,Greene,PA, I find -
        1850 Washington, Greene, PA (indexed as MEHALE M CARROL)
        Mc Carrol, Mehale/36, George/13, Peter/11, Thomas/4
        NOTE: on census images 12 and 13 of 22
        NOTE: household happens to be on the same censuspage (13) as *both* Samuel Mc Carrol and Joshua Mc Carrol

        Circumstantially, it looks like Samuel & Joseph could be the sons (along with George, Peter & Thomas) of "Mehale Mc Carrol" (b.ca.1814).

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "synmacd111" <cmacdon1@...> wrote:

        > My name is Cynthia Scully MacDonald. I've been searching for awhile, but can't seem to find what I need on two of my grandfathers' ancestry.
        >
        > Samuel McCarl is my father's mother's father(born April 26, 1834, possibly born in Greene Co, PA). His daughter, my grandmother, was Susan Isabelle McCarl (born October 6, 1866 in Greene Co, PA), known as Belle. Her grandfather may also have been Samuel McCarl (possibly born 1814 in Greene County, PA), but I have no verification of that. Her mother may have been Elizabeth Fonner, who may have been the daughter of James Fonner.
        >
        > I have many more "may have beens" on this line, but will stop there for now. My goal with the McCarl's is to find out about Belle's father Samuel, and his father, who may have also been Samuel. I have researched the Greene Co, PA census and found father Samuel in the 1870 and 1880 census. I believe he died before the 1900 census, and have so far found nothing in the remains of the 1890 census.
        >
        > My sisters believe the McCarl's migrated from Scotland, but could as easily have been of Irish descent.
        >
        > My father's father was named John Scully. He was born between 1860 and 1865 depending on who I ask. He died in 1950 or 1951. He was an orphan. He may have been born in Buffalo, New York. I found a listing for a 6 year old John Scully in an almshouse in Buffalo, New York 1870 census. I also found a 15 year old John Scully in some sort of group facility in the 1880 census in Greene Co. PA. He married Belle in 1890, according to a fellow researcher who states:
        >
        > "His marriage license names him as John Skulley. Rev. J.W. English ,of the U.P. Parsonsge in Sturgeon, PA, married John Skulley and Belle McCarl on February 06, 1890 . The marriage license was issued by the Orphans Court of Washington Co., PA, license #1954."
        >
        > The little I know about him is that he was from "Buffalo" but there is or was a Buffalo Township in Pennsylvania, as well as the obvious Buffalo, New York.
        >
        > I welcome any suggestions
        >
        > Cynthia

      • synmacd111
        Message 3 of 4 , May 9, 2010
          Wow! Thank you Tom!
        • jtmisz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2010
            Dear Cynthia: My name is Janet Paris Miszczuk. Samuel McCarl and Elizabeth Fonner were the parents of Belle McCarl. My maternal great grandfather, James Allison McCarl was her brother. He is buried in Oak Spring(s) Cemetery in Canonsburg, PA "next to his father".

            I have a xeroxed photograph of Samuel and Elizabeth Fonner McCarl, given to me by one of your cousins whose name I can easily look up
            if you are still interested. I tried, but couldn't copy it to this forum. If you send me a working e-mail address, I can send you a good bit of information from my Family Tree Maker files, along with sources. If you search records, please be aware that the McCarls, McCarrels an McCarrols are not necessarily related. As far as I have discovered so far, the McCarl men were usually farmers and James A. McCarl was a small town policeman who died on the job (the newspaper spelled his name wrong).

            You might be able to find information on the Scully family at The Citizens Library in Washington, PA or at the Bowlby Library in Waynesburg, PA.

            I'm always glad to share my research. Janet