census organization (cross posted)

  • Forrest Plumstead
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2010
      I have dozens of census images, but they are scattered all over the place on
      my hard drive. I need to organize them in one place. There are four ways I
      can think of.

      1. In a general family folder with other documents pictures and files
      2. By Family Surname
      3. By Individule
      4. By Year & Place

      I kinda lean toward Family Surname. My question to the group is how do you
      file them?

      --
      Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
      Plumstead and Associated Families:

    • mdeweygardner
      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2010
        I actually arrange all in the same folder by a filename system:

        SURNAME GIVEN DATE TYPE NOTE-TO-SELF

        Like this...
        Smith Joe 1800 Census
        Smith Jenny 1892 Portrait
        Smith Jenny 1894 Portrait wedding with Smith Fred
        Thompson Annabel 1930 Census
        Thompson Walter 1945 Biography from Thompson June

        And save them all in the same folder. Works for me. I tried different folders, but I then ended up with just too many folders.

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Forrest Plumstead <fplum1@...> wrote:

        > I have dozens of census images, but they are scattered all over the place on
        > my hard drive. I need to organize them in one place. There are four ways I
        > can think of.
        >

        > 1. In a general family folder with other documents pictures and files
        > 2. By Family Surname
        > 3. By Individule
        > 4. By Year & Place
        >
        > I kinda lean toward Family Surname. My question to the group is how do you
        > file them?
        >
        > --
        > Forrest Plumstead fplum1@...
        > Plumstead and Associated Families:
        > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fplum/
        > Ham Radio WB5HQO http://forrest.3h.com/main.html

      • Pamela Gray
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2010
          I do file by surname. Both on the computer and in binders.

          The files on the computer I do alphabetically by date of document.  I also keep them on a flash drive in case anything happens to my computer.

          I print copies and keep them two places.  One in a surname binder and one in a surname file in my filing cabinet.  I also have a family record sheet for each individual in my line.  I usually only have those of my direct ancestors.

          I have six binders with two surnames (husband and wife) about 4 generations back.  As a new surname pops up, I add it to that binder until I get too much and then make another binder with those new surnames.

          I still like to see my documents first hand and do things in stubby pencil.

          Hope this helps.

          Pam

          Forrest Plumstead fplum1@gmail. com