One of my brickwalls

  • r_c_boss
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2010
      Thought I would add one oif my brickwalls. She was Mariah L. (Vanzile/VanGile) Knapp. She was born in New York state ca 1810. She married Squire Hill Knapp in Ripley County Indiana on December 23, 1829, I have her death in Washington, Ripley, Indiana on June 9, 1902. I have been hunting information about her for years. What I do have is this:

      The 1880 census lists her mother's birthplace as New Jersey and her fathers birthplace as Holland. Her own birthplace is listed as New York.

      Ripley County Marriage records so her marriage to Squire Hill Knapp on December 23, 1829.

      Children they had were:

      Joseph Knapp b 1831
      Lydia Knapp b 1832
      Mariah Louisa Knapp b December 13, 1833
      Laura Knapp b 1837
      Marion Knapp b 1840
      Alonzo Knapp b 1845
      Erasmus Knapp b 1848

      All children were born in Ripley County Indiana.

      Mariah's last name has been seen as Van Gile, Vanzile and Van Zile. Her parents have never been proven. There are several interesting possibilities from the area. There was a Van Gile who was a postmaster at the same time Squire Hill Knapp was a post master. Whether this was her fath or any relative or even if the name was spelled correctly is open. There were several Vanzile families in the area at the time. The two most promising are William (Wilhelm) Vanzile anf Peter Vanzile. They were in Ripley County in the early part of the 1800's. I have even check the Dutvh spelling of Van Zilj. The Peter and William might even have been her bothers, uncles or sometype relative. With her marriage happening when she was probably still in her teens, it is very likely her parents or whoever was responsible for hewr was in the area.

      Any help on her would be greatfully appreciated.

      Bob