Re:Post a Genealogy Brickwall!!

  • tenmans38@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , May 3 11:04 AM
      Ok I need some help.
      I am looking for my Great great Grandpa George Thompson.
      He was born in Kentucky in about 1820 (but I suspect it was
      10 or 11 years earlier).His wife's name unknown was from Ohio.
      They had a son named Harrison B (Benjamin) Thompson born
      Jan 22 1835 in Kentucky.The death certificates of some of Harrison
      oldest children (including my grandpa) place them at Clarksville
      Missouri when they were born. I have seen it listed on the Mormon
      pedigree (which always has the births at least 10 to 11 years off
      but gets most of the few deaths dates right)that George Thompson
      was buried in centenary cem,Ralls Mo.

      Early Sunday morning I located that cemetery web site (I am posting
      it below) and found one of Harrison's sons and wife posted as well
      as one of his Daughter's and her husband thru photographs posted.
      I saw no listing of George Thompson but he should be there. Would
      it be possible to ask them and maybe even get birth and death dates
      of my grandpa who likely was born around 1809 or 1810?
      Please check out the link below.

      Mike

      _Centernary Cem Ralls Co Missouri album | Iowaz iowaz @ swbell.net |
      Fotki.com_
      (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/)

      Posted by: "TinaS"
      We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
      genealogy brickwalls.

      Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
      wall!!

      Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
      help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

      Just waiting to help,
      TolkSteel

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 23 , May 3 5:39 PM
        Hi,

        Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
        current brick wall.

        What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
        (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois

        Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
        Cavalry.

        What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
        Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.

        His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.

        If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.

        Carol

        _____

        Message 3 of 23 , May 3 7:34 PM
          I am going to finally ask for some help. My paternal grandfather is supposed to be Horace A. Davis, born in R.I., or PA on 20 Aug 1853. . He is listed in numerous census reports as being born in both. The problem is that I cannot find him in any records other than the census reports, birth, marriage, or death and that seems impossible. He was married to a Ada/Adeline/Addie/Adda J. Bean according to the family Bible on 04 Mar 1875, I have that she was born in NY in 1860 and died in NY 18 Oct 1930. He supposedly died in Mar 1940. Can anyone find any of these records anywhere? I really do not feel that I can take this line further until I am positive of these facts and have at least one piece of conclusive proof. Thank you so much...Marsha

        • Robin McClure
          Message 4 of 23 , May 3 10:03 PM
            Hi Carol,
            I noticed a few resources at FamilySearch Wiki are being added to the Hancock
            County Illinois
            <https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hancock_County,_Illinois>page. If
            you click on the Family History Library Catalog link under
            websites, select vital records, you will find this resource which can be
            order at a local FHC:
            Birth certificates, death records, marriage records, applications for
            marriage licenses,
            1829-1947<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=196973&disp=Birth+certificates%2C+death+records%2C+m>
            Hancock County (Illinois). County Clerk

            I also found some other interesting items which I do not know if you have
            seen:
            1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
            Name: Montraville Geletls
            [Montraville Gelette]
            <javascript:TGN.Ancestry.Search.Orem.DoOrem(32890260)> Home
            in 1880: Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail, Minnesota Age: 36 Estimated birth
            year: abt 1844 Birthplace: Illinois Relation to Head of Household: Self
            (Head) Spouse's name: Mary S. Father's birthplace: New York Mother's
            birthplace: New York Neighbors: Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married
            Race: White Gender: Male
            Cannot read/write:

            Blind:

            Deaf and dumb:

            Otherwise disabled:

            Idiotic or insane:
            <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=view&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MNT9_629-0007&fn=Montraville&ln=Geletls&st=r&ssrc=&pid=32890260>

            Household Members: Name Age Montraville
            Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890260>
            36 Mary S. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=48071728>
            30 Rebecca E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890261>
            9 Eleonora Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228514>
            8 Montraville Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228587>
            4 Rosa Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279680>
            2 Bertha E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279819>
            9M George Restorff<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890042>
            20
            Also please confirm: 1895
            Census<http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&surname=gelette>

            and check these databases:
            http://www.genealogyplace.com/surnames/g06261112.html

            US 1850 Census 7years old Montivelle Gillet:
            http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#searchType=close&birthYear=1844&birthPlaceId=14&birthPlaceLoc1=Illinois%2C%20United%20States&surname=gilette&p=recordResults

            1840 US Census Gillette in Hancock County Illinois:
            View Record Name Residence
            (City,County,State) View Image
            Saml Gillett Hancock, Illinois
            <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=4411225_00980&fn=Saml&ln=Gillett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=3084906>

            Truman Gillett

            Hancock, Illinois

            Sincerely,
            Robin

            On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Carol <minisntrees@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
            > current brick wall.
            >
            > What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
            > (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois
            >
            > Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
            > Cavalry.
            >
            > What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
            > Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.
            >
            > His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.
            >
            > If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.
            >
            > Carol
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
            > [mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>]
            > On Behalf Of TinaS
            >
            > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
            > genealogy brickwalls.
            >
            > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
            > wall!!
            >
            > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
            > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
            >
            > Just waiting to help,
            > TolkSteel

            > 04:34:00

            About Me:
            http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
            Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
            Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
            LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
            Robin's Family History Store:
            http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

            Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
            Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
            Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

          • Arlene Miles
            Message 5 of 23 , May 4 9:39 AM
              Have you tried GenWeb for the two states you mentioned? You should check FamilySearch.org also.
               Arlene

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 23 , May 4 11:21 AM
                I have checked FamilySearch.org and there is nothing. I am going to look at GenWeb. Kate found the list of burials for quite a few of my family on Rootsweb so that is a huge help too. Thanks to all for helping me with this stumbling block...Marsha

                Message 7 of 23 , May 7 1:42 PM
                  One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=27994&CScn=centen&CScntry=4&CSst=26&
                  and if you know that he was buried there, you can create a memorial and
                  request a photo.

                  Good Luck!
                  Stacey Olsen

                • tenmans38@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 10 6:15 PM
                    Thanks Stacey,
                    I did email that website I had posted before for help and this was the
                    response.

                    ====If George Thompson is buried in Centenary it is an unmarked grave and
                    in the Thompson plot area.

                    ====I would have taken pics of all marked Thompson markers on that visit
                    as one of my main NE Iowa lines is the Thompson's out of Harford.Co.MD. I
                    was trying to find a connection to the NE Iowa and NE MO Thompson's for a
                    long time so was/am always on the lookout for Thompson material. Plus the
                    Thompson's were some of the very first white settlers in Pike and Ralls Co's.

                    So as you can see I came up with nothing.:-(
                    I have wondered if there might be a Library close by there that
                    would have a record of his death. Maybe even as a newspaper
                    listing.But its to far away for me to reach. Maybe if I could find
                    someone there (even a Library) that would offer to help me.
                    This means I would have to also hope that a Library close by
                    would have a death listing (that a volunteer took the time to make)
                    of people that died in the 1800's. My Library does for those years.
                    The death listing would say something like this:George Thompson
                    (after finding it listed under the T's for-or Thompson) died on month
                    in 18?? and is posted in this local newspaper on that date.Then
                    that person looking at a roll of newspaper (for that month and year)
                    film would go to that dates listings.The obit should list a wife (if
                    living)
                    and all living siblings. Harrison (or Benjamin)would be a sibling and
                    any others would be new info.Now if I could just find one volunteer
                    that lived in that area to do all that for a weekend or two.What hope is
                    there of that?Maybe if there was a genealogy group in that area?
                    I will check out the link you posted maybe I could talk to someone
                    else who knows something there.

                    Mike

                    Posted by: "Stacey Olsen"
                    One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                    _http://www.findagrahttp://www.http://www.http://&CRid=CRid=&CScn=CScn=<&CSc
                    ntry=C&CSst=26&_

                    (_http://public.http://pubhttp://publihttp://public.<Whttp://publhttp://pu_
                    (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/) )