Question

  • Selena D
    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2010
      Because this group has been around for so long, I feel I would get a fairly good opinion from the members, question...How common is it when researching the family tree to find royalty? I have gone back on several branches to the 13th and 14th century(and earlier) and a few people that would have been considered heavy hitters back in the day...I study Medieval History and can't fathom how people that were major and minor nobility had families that became shoemakers and carpenters, general tradesmen unless they back the wrong person, I have never really researched the people I am finding...Before I go any further , is a DNA test the only real way, or are those just as bogus? We're talking many centuries ago...any opinion is welcome...thanks...

      Kelley Parsons-Gibson
    • Kel
      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2010
        My understanding is that many of the family trees have been doctored by trouble makers so that a lot of the lines all go back to royalty, so to trust a family tree online is impossible to do because you have no way of knowing if it has been verified.

        I don't think DNA is mandatory as long as you can find proof of birth, marriage, death in legal documents. Perhaps as one person stated, if you are interested in being in the "Mayflower" line then it may require DNA. I am not sure how you would get DNA proof of someone that has been dead for 300 years, but perhaps that elite group has samples somehow. It would be interesting to know that. Perhaps proven descendents of those lines have given their blood for the noble cause. I think even more elite would be the DNA of a 100% Native American since they are the first known immigrants to North America.

        All that said I am a novice and perhaps that is why I can see it all as an outsider. Good luck in finding out the answers. At present my line goes back to Kings of England and Germany, do I believe that? If it is true the apple sure fell far from the tree, and it wasn't a money tree LOL. How in the world can I get DNA from them? Not sure, perhaps their proven descendants, not sure how willing they are to give that up...Marsha

        Because this group has been around for so long, I feel I would get a fairly good opinion from the members, question...How common is it when researching the family tree to find royalty? I have gone back on several branches to the 13th and 14th century(and earlier) and a few people that would have been considered heavy hitters back in the day...I study Medieval History and can't fathom how people that were major and minor nobility had families that became shoemakers and carpenters, general tradesmen unless they back the wrong person, I have never really researched the people I am finding...Before I go any further , is a DNA test the only real way, or are those just as bogus? We're talking many centuries ago...any opinion is welcome...thanks...

        Kelley Parsons-Gibson

      • Robert Bonney
        Message 3 of 19 , May 3, 2010
          I am in the third stage of trying to join the mayflower society and I provided certified documents on just about everything but nowhere did DNA come into the picture. I have had my DNA done at ancestry with the 46 marker test but this didn't help me at all in my quest for the mayflower connection.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 19 , May 3, 2010
            I've tended to only trust connections I can verify in non-genealogy history books, and that's eliminated many famous ancestors that oneworld tree, rootsweb, etc., have said I am descended from.

            I also found a tree which said I was descended from president Zachary Taylor's son... history books verified that this was not possible. Certainly the erroneous info made for a better story!

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bonney <rbonney73@...> wrote:

            > I am in the third stage of trying to join the mayflower society and I provided certified documents on just about everything but nowhere did DNA come into the picture. I have had my DNA done at ancestry with the 46 marker test but this didn't help me at all in my quest for the mayflower connection.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Kel
            Message 5 of 19 , May 3, 2010
              So I am a little confused here. Non-genealogy history books? The chances of most of us having any connection to someone in a history book is slim to none I would think, so how would we go about tracing our genealogy?

              Let me ask three quick questions to get an answer to one subject, if I may. Can you have a Mayflower connection if in your line someone on your mother's side married into the line? Does the Mayflower connection need to be strictly a direct blood descendent of your paternal side? What is the rule on this? Thank you...

              Message 6 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                Oh, I heard the old document argument from the cousin who is furious with me! Said that she did not believe in DNA - right!
                In this case there were several men of this name in Virginia at the same time and thanks to DNA we have sorted them out one from another. When its a matter of 'which one is mine'? then its the ultimate ending.

                DNA can only come from a direct male heir and I am sure that royalty DNA is already out on the WWW!

                Then again if you line is not a male direct line but has a female or two in the line, then DNA will tell you nothing.

                I would not be chasing my tail around my York and Stark families had it not been for DNA - I would also rather be 'correct' in this search, than 'select' one of the many men with the same name. Just my preference.

                Diane S

[...]

              • Joseph
                Message 7 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                  We can consider that we have connections, IF the connection is a direct
                  line... for instance, if that individual is a (however may
                  great)grandparent, but not if it's because someone married into our family.

                  I would think that most of us probably could go back to some kind of
                  history character, if we could dig deep enough. I think most of us
                  would be surprised if we only knew who we were kin to.

                  For instance, ancient Celtics, Scotts, etc, lived in tribes, with a
                  tribal leader. This is history. Those tribes got larger and larger
                  over the decades, and became small kingdoms, and then as one absorbed
                  others, they became large kingdoms.

                  We know that only one child can take the throne of a nation. What
                  happens to the others? That's where we get Princes, Princesses, Dukes,
                  Dutchesses, etc. The lines get further away from the throne, so now
                  there's commoners... who's ancestry goes back to the throne.

                  I agree, many probably don't have a good clean attachment to royal
                  families, but I think that most European blood lines indeed do go to
                  some royalty, at least to tribal leaders, which is a more informal royalty.

                  Joseph

                  On 5/3/2010 9:24 PM, Kel wrote:
                  > So I am a little confused here. Non-genealogy history books? The chances of most of us having any connection to someone in a history book is slim to none I would think, so how would we go about tracing our genealogy?
                  >
                  > Let me ask three quick questions to get an answer to one subject, if I may. Can you have a Mayflower connection if in your line someone on your mother's side married into the line? Does the Mayflower connection need to be strictly a direct blood descendent of your paternal side? What is the rule on this? Thank you...

                • Arlene Miles
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                    Go to the Mayflower website for all your questions about qualifications and application. They have a series of books (index) that you can check surnames  and go from there.
                     Arlene

                    ________________________________
[...]

                  • Linda Pellett
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                      Where would I go to have my DNA testing done? My brother is the only male left to help me and he's 74 now and in poor health. I really need to get this done quickly.

                      Check out the latest from Avon - This isn't your grandmother's Avon!

                      www.yourAvon.com/lpellett

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                        Well, so far my line (unverified goes to John Alden), but if I remember correctly that was through a marriage on my maternal side. I found the Davis that made the crossing from England to the colonies first, back in 1661, so that removes me from that aristocracy if we can call it that, LOL. Thanks...Marsha

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                          In Ohio there are what are called the 1880 Histories that were printed by
                          County. I have no idea if any other state did that. They are an absolutely
                          wonderful source of information.

                          Mary-Ann

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                            On Ancestry.com they sell a kit, don't know how much to check out the DNA...but I still am not really sure exactly what it tells you..

                            Linda Pellett <lspellett@...> wrote:

                            > Where would I go to have my DNA testing done? My brother is the only male left to help me and he's 74 now and in poor health. I really need to get this done quickly.
                            >

                            > Check out the latest from Avon - This isn't your grandmother's Avon!
                            >
                            > www.yourAvon.com/lpellett
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Selena D
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 4, 2010
                              Ok, so if I am hearing what you're saying correctly, bear with me for a minute... supposedly I am related to Phillipe Delano(De Lannoy)through his great granddaughter, Meribah Delano..if I wanted to find out for certain, I would have to find a direct male descendant of his to find out for sure, because this is all through to my Great,Great Grandmother Elvina Dexter Parsons, so using my paternal uncle's DNA would prove anything...or am I totally missing what you're saying...

                              Kelley

                              "Diane S" <dsanfilippo303@...> wrote:

                              > Oh, I heard the old document argument from the cousin who is furious with me! Said that she did not believe in DNA - right!
                              > In this case there were several men of this name in Virginia at the same time and thanks to DNA we have sorted them out one from another. When its a matter of 'which one is mine'? then its the ultimate ending.
                              >
                              > DNA can only come from a direct male heir and I am sure that royalty DNA is already out on the WWW!
                              >
                              > Then again if you line is not a male direct line but has a female or two in the line, then DNA will tell you nothing.
                              >
                              > I would not be chasing my tail around my York and Stark families had it not been for DNA - I would also rather be 'correct' in this search, than 'select' one of the many men with the same name. Just my preference.
                              >
                              > Diane S
                              >
                              > My understanding is that many of the family trees have been doctored by trouble makers so that a lot of the lines all go back to royalty, so to trust a family tree online is impossible to do because you have no way of knowing if it has been verified.
                              >
                              > I don't think DNA is mandatory as long as you can find proof of birth, marriage, death in legal documents. Perhaps as one person stated, if you are interested in being in the "Mayflower" line then it may require DNA. I am not sure how you would get DNA proof of someone that has been dead for 300 years, but perhaps that elite group has samples somehow. It would be interesting to know that. Perhaps proven descendents of those lines have given their blood for the noble cause. I think even more elite would be the DNA of a 100% Native American since they are the first known immigrants to North America.
                              >
                              > All that said I am a novice and perhaps that is why I can see it all as an outsider. Good luck in finding out the answers. At present my line goes back to Kings of England and Germany, do I believe that? If it is true the apple sure fell far from the tree, and it wasn't a money tree LOL. How in the world can I get DNA from them? Not sure, perhaps their proven descendants, not sure how willing they are to give that up...Marsha

                            • Diane S
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 5, 2010
                                Kelley -

                                Yes a direct male ancestor with an unbroken male line - i.e. the same surname as the ancestor.

                                The Starke family I used my brother, even paid for it! and a cousin from another direct line... and they matched - identical, so that is the DNA for the descendants of Thomas Starke b. 1740

                                The York family I don't even know the two cousins who volunteered, although I think we (our group of descendants) had to pay for one, and the other even carried it out further - they have never known one another - did not know the other existed - and they were descended from two different sons of Josiah Cowan York b. 1799 Washington County, TN - they were identical.

                                That's the way its done... direct male line... and of course you will have to prove your relationship to the one who donates DNA.

                              • ck4evr@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 5, 2010
                                  Eventually DNA will be the ultimate family tree. The data bases will eventually fill. They get some from archeology digs and some from donations, etc....
                                  Remember lands could be stripped at the whim of the crown or the church, depending on place and period, so one family could show royal papers then sons could be shoemakers. Depends on who is in favor.
                                  It is not commo to go down the tree, more accurate if you find papers leading to the line. Many of the societies have royal lineage wrapped up so once you get to the person they connect with it will be easy. They require many doc.s for proof.

                                  Ok, so if I am hearing what you're saying correctly, bear with me for a minute... supposedly I am related to Phillipe Delano(De Lannoy)through his great granddaughter, Meribah Delano..if I wanted to find out for certain, I would have to find a direct male descendant of his to find out for sure, because this is all through to my Great,Great Grandmother Elvina Dexter Parsons, so using my paternal uncle's DNA would prove anything...or am I totally missing what you're saying...

                                  Kelley

                                  "Diane S" <dsanfilippo303@...> wrote:

                                  > Oh, I heard the old document argument from the cousin who is furious with me! Said that she did not believe in DNA - right!
                                  > In this case there were several men of this name in Virginia at the same time and thanks to DNA we have sorted them out one from another. When its a matter of 'which one is mine'? then its the ultimate ending.
                                  >
                                  > DNA can only come from a direct male heir and I am sure that royalty DNA is already out on the WWW!
                                  >
                                  > Then again if you line is not a male direct line but has a female or two in the line, then DNA will tell you nothing.
                                  >
                                  > I would not be chasing my tail around my York and Stark families had it not been for DNA - I would also rather be 'correct' in this search, than 'select' one of the many men with the same name. Just my preference.
                                  >
                                  > Diane S
                                  >
                                  > My understanding is that many of the family trees have been doctored by trouble makers so that a lot of the lines all go back to royalty, so to trust a family tree online is impossible to do because you have no way of knowing if it has been verified.
                                  >
                                  > I don't think DNA is mandatory as long as you can find proof of birth, marriage, death in legal documents. Perhaps as one person stated, if you are interested in being in the "Mayflower" line then it may require DNA. I am not sure how you would get DNA proof of someone that has been dead for 300 years, but perhaps that elite group has samples somehow. It would be interesting to know that. Perhaps proven descendents of those lines have given their blood for the noble cause. I think even more elite would be the DNA of a 100% Native American since they are the first known immigrants to North America.
                                  >
                                  > All that said I am a novice and perhaps that is why I can see it all as an outsider. Good luck in finding out the answers. At present my line goes back to Kings of England and Germany, do I believe that? If it is true the apple sure fell far from the tree, and it wasn't a money tree LOL. How in the world can I get DNA from them? Not sure, perhaps their proven descendants, not sure how willing they are to give that up...Marsha

                                • Gwen
                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 10, 2010
                                    How long does it take for ones name get from the living list to the SSDI? Reason being is my son died on March 28, 2010 and I wanted to get the information on that.

                                    Gwen
                                    albusdumbledore_01@...
                                  • Kel
                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 10, 2010
                                      My recollection of this is that it takes three months to end up on the SSDI. I hope that is what you needed. If he passed in Mar of 2010 he should be on the SSDI by the end of June or early July. My sympathies go out to you and your family on the passing of your son...Marsha

                                      How long does it take for ones name get from the living list to the SSDI? Reason being is my son died on March 28, 2010 and I wanted to get the information on that.

                                      Gwen
                                      albusdumbledore_01@...

                                    • Mary E. Conley
                                      Message 18 of 19 , May 10, 2010
                                        Gwen:  I am not sure how long it takes to get onto the SSDI list but I've been told that Rootsweb has the most up-to-date list (or at least the did about a year ago).  Also, in order to get on the list someone has to report a person's death to Social Security (SS).  If the person was drawing SS at the time of their death a spouse or someone usually tells SS to stop sending checks.  In the event of a minor someone must call SS and tell them.  I hope this helps.
                                         Mary
                                        Roseville, California

                                        ________________________________
                                        Message 19 of 19 , May 13, 2010
                                          If any of you have Windows 7, 64bt, and Legacy 7, and your "NOTES"
                                          windows are black, here's a solution.

                                          I had that problem, and Sherry (Legacy Tech) and the Legacy techs were
                                          really a great inspiration to me. They are the best, and work hard to help.

                                          Anyway, after much writing back and forth, lots of trial and error, and
                                          trying to get the NOTES section working properly, they sent me this:
                                          "The support staff was just hashing over this problem about system files
                                          being protected. One of the techs who has Win7 suggested that you put
                                          the richtx32.ocx file into the c:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder and see if
                                          that works."

                                          I'm uploading this file to my website for you to use. It can be found
                                          at: http://e-pops.org/help/richtx-local.zip The file in question is in
                                          the zip file.

                                          Joseph Snurr