Re: Post a Genealogy Brickwall!! Parsons/Twombly

  • Selena D
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2010
      Thank you all for the help that you sent...I didn't explain it well I guess, I should have said I didn't know what happened to Hiram or Daniel Parsons after the 1840 census, Irene, their mother seems to have moved in with Ira, her eldest...but again, thanks for the incredibly quick responses...

    • tenmans38@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , May 3, 2010
        Ok I need some help.
        I am looking for my Great great Grandpa George Thompson.
        He was born in Kentucky in about 1820 (but I suspect it was
        10 or 11 years earlier).His wife's name unknown was from Ohio.
        They had a son named Harrison B (Benjamin) Thompson born
        Jan 22 1835 in Kentucky.The death certificates of some of Harrison
        oldest children (including my grandpa) place them at Clarksville
        Missouri when they were born. I have seen it listed on the Mormon
        pedigree (which always has the births at least 10 to 11 years off
        but gets most of the few deaths dates right)that George Thompson
        was buried in centenary cem,Ralls Mo.

        Early Sunday morning I located that cemetery web site (I am posting
        it below) and found one of Harrison's sons and wife posted as well
        as one of his Daughter's and her husband thru photographs posted.
        I saw no listing of George Thompson but he should be there. Would
        it be possible to ask them and maybe even get birth and death dates
        of my grandpa who likely was born around 1809 or 1810?
        Please check out the link below.

        Mike

        _Centernary Cem Ralls Co Missouri album | Iowaz iowaz @ swbell.net |
        Fotki.com_
        (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/)

        Posted by: "TinaS"
        We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
        genealogy brickwalls.

        Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
        wall!!

        Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
        help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

        Just waiting to help,
        TolkSteel

      • Carol
        Message 3 of 23 , May 3, 2010
          Hi,

          Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
          current brick wall.

          What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
          (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois

          Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
          Cavalry.

          What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
          Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.

          His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.

          If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.

          Carol

          _____

          Message 4 of 23 , May 3, 2010
            I am going to finally ask for some help. My paternal grandfather is supposed to be Horace A. Davis, born in R.I., or PA on 20 Aug 1853. . He is listed in numerous census reports as being born in both. The problem is that I cannot find him in any records other than the census reports, birth, marriage, or death and that seems impossible. He was married to a Ada/Adeline/Addie/Adda J. Bean according to the family Bible on 04 Mar 1875, I have that she was born in NY in 1860 and died in NY 18 Oct 1930. He supposedly died in Mar 1940. Can anyone find any of these records anywhere? I really do not feel that I can take this line further until I am positive of these facts and have at least one piece of conclusive proof. Thank you so much...Marsha

          • Robin McClure
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2010
              Hi Carol,
              I noticed a few resources at FamilySearch Wiki are being added to the Hancock
              County Illinois
              <https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hancock_County,_Illinois>page. If
              you click on the Family History Library Catalog link under
              websites, select vital records, you will find this resource which can be
              order at a local FHC:
              Birth certificates, death records, marriage records, applications for
              marriage licenses,
              1829-1947<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=196973&disp=Birth+certificates%2C+death+records%2C+m>
              Hancock County (Illinois). County Clerk

              I also found some other interesting items which I do not know if you have
              seen:
              1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
              Name: Montraville Geletls
              [Montraville Gelette]
              <javascript:TGN.Ancestry.Search.Orem.DoOrem(32890260)> Home
              in 1880: Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail, Minnesota Age: 36 Estimated birth
              year: abt 1844 Birthplace: Illinois Relation to Head of Household: Self
              (Head) Spouse's name: Mary S. Father's birthplace: New York Mother's
              birthplace: New York Neighbors: Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married
              Race: White Gender: Male
              Cannot read/write:

              Blind:

              Deaf and dumb:

              Otherwise disabled:

              Idiotic or insane:
              <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=view&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MNT9_629-0007&fn=Montraville&ln=Geletls&st=r&ssrc=&pid=32890260>

              Household Members: Name Age Montraville
              Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890260>
              36 Mary S. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=48071728>
              30 Rebecca E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890261>
              9 Eleonora Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228514>
              8 Montraville Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228587>
              4 Rosa Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279680>
              2 Bertha E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279819>
              9M George Restorff<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890042>
              20
              Also please confirm: 1895
              Census<http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&surname=gelette>

              and check these databases:
              http://www.genealogyplace.com/surnames/g06261112.html

              US 1850 Census 7years old Montivelle Gillet:
              http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#searchType=close&birthYear=1844&birthPlaceId=14&birthPlaceLoc1=Illinois%2C%20United%20States&surname=gilette&p=recordResults

              1840 US Census Gillette in Hancock County Illinois:
              View Record Name Residence
              (City,County,State) View Image
              Saml Gillett Hancock, Illinois
              <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=4411225_00980&fn=Saml&ln=Gillett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=3084906>

              Truman Gillett

              Hancock, Illinois

              Sincerely,
              Robin

              On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Carol <minisntrees@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
              > current brick wall.
              >
              > What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
              > (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois
              >
              > Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
              > Cavalry.
              >
              > What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
              > Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.
              >
              > His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.
              >
              > If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.
              >
              > Carol
              >
              > _____
              >
              > From: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
              > [mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>]
              > On Behalf Of TinaS
              >
              > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
              > genealogy brickwalls.
              >
              > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
              > wall!!
              >
              > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
              > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
              >
              > Just waiting to help,
              > TolkSteel

              > 04:34:00

              About Me:
              http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
              Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
              Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
              LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
              Robin's Family History Store:
              http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

              Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
              Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
              Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

            • Arlene Miles
              Message 6 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                Have you tried GenWeb for the two states you mentioned? You should check FamilySearch.org also.
                 Arlene

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                  I have checked FamilySearch.org and there is nothing. I am going to look at GenWeb. Kate found the list of burials for quite a few of my family on Rootsweb so that is a huge help too. Thanks to all for helping me with this stumbling block...Marsha

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                    One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=27994&CScn=centen&CScntry=4&CSst=26&
                    and if you know that he was buried there, you can create a memorial and
                    request a photo.

                    Good Luck!
                    Stacey Olsen

                  • tenmans38@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 10, 2010
                      Thanks Stacey,
                      I did email that website I had posted before for help and this was the
                      response.

                      ====If George Thompson is buried in Centenary it is an unmarked grave and
                      in the Thompson plot area.

                      ====I would have taken pics of all marked Thompson markers on that visit
                      as one of my main NE Iowa lines is the Thompson's out of Harford.Co.MD. I
                      was trying to find a connection to the NE Iowa and NE MO Thompson's for a
                      long time so was/am always on the lookout for Thompson material. Plus the
                      Thompson's were some of the very first white settlers in Pike and Ralls Co's.

                      So as you can see I came up with nothing.:-(
                      I have wondered if there might be a Library close by there that
                      would have a record of his death. Maybe even as a newspaper
                      listing.But its to far away for me to reach. Maybe if I could find
                      someone there (even a Library) that would offer to help me.
                      This means I would have to also hope that a Library close by
                      would have a death listing (that a volunteer took the time to make)
                      of people that died in the 1800's. My Library does for those years.
                      The death listing would say something like this:George Thompson
                      (after finding it listed under the T's for-or Thompson) died on month
                      in 18?? and is posted in this local newspaper on that date.Then
                      that person looking at a roll of newspaper (for that month and year)
                      film would go to that dates listings.The obit should list a wife (if
                      living)
                      and all living siblings. Harrison (or Benjamin)would be a sibling and
                      any others would be new info.Now if I could just find one volunteer
                      that lived in that area to do all that for a weekend or two.What hope is
                      there of that?Maybe if there was a genealogy group in that area?
                      I will check out the link you posted maybe I could talk to someone
                      else who knows something there.

                      Mike

                      Posted by: "Stacey Olsen"
                      One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                      _http://www.findagrahttp://www.http://www.http://&CRid=CRid=&CScn=CScn=<&CSc
                      ntry=C&CSst=26&_

                      (_http://public.http://pubhttp://publihttp://public.<Whttp://publhttp://pu_
                      (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/) )