Re: Post a Genealogy Brickwall!! Parsons/Twombly

  • Selena D
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2010
      Hi there,
      I am looking for any information on my great grandmother Katherine Eva TWOMBLY(TWOMBLEY) b.1874 in Massachuetts, d.1937, York,Maine(I assume). On the 1930 federal census she is still listed in York,Maine. She was married to William S. Parsons, b.1865,Maine, d.1937,Maine.One of my great grandmothers was supposed to be Penobscot, but the records were burned in a fire quite a while back,so no looking there and the tribe was wiped out mainly due to marrying out.The other wall has been for an Ira E PARSONS, William's father, I know his mother was Irene,b.about 1810ish, and they lived in the Dover and Orono, Maine area before moving to York County, Maine.Ira was born about 1836, Dover, Maine and had two younger brothers, Daniel and Hiram, but I find absolutely nothing on them after the 1840 census. Any info that can be given would be great.Thanks...

      Kelley Parsons-Gibson

      "TinaS" <tolksteel@...> wrote:

      > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.
      >
      > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!
      >
      > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
      >
      > Just waiting to help,
      > TolkSteel

    • Kate
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2010
        1850 United States Federal Census

        Name:
        Ira E Parsons

        Age:
        20

        Estimated birth year:
        abt 1830

        Birth Place:
        Maine

        Gender:
        Male

        Home in 1850 (City,County,State):
        Dover, Piscataquis, Maine

        Family Number:
        175

        Household Members:

        Name
        Age

        Ira
        E Parsons
        20

        Irene
        Parsons
        40

        Hiram
        Parsons
        14

        Daniel
        Parsons
        16

        Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Dover, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M432_267;
        Page: 286B; Image: 220.1860 United States Federal Census

        Name:
        Ira E Parsons

        Age in 1860:
        32

        Birth Year:
        abt 1828

        Birthplace:
        Maine

        Home in 1860:
        Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine

        Gender:
        Male

        Post Office:
        South Atkinson

        Value of real estate:
        View
        image

        Household Members:

        Name
        Age

        Ira
        E Parsons
        32

        Alvina
        Parsons
        26

        Susan
        C Parsons
        6

        Alonzo
        Parsons
        3

        Frederic
        Parsons
        2

        Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M653_433;
        Page: 775; Image: 19; Family History Library Film: 803433.1870 United States Federal Census

        Name:
        Ira E Parsons

        Birth Year:
        abt 1832

        Age in 1870:
        38

        Birthplace:
        Maine

        Home in 1870:
        Orono, Penobscot, Maine

        Race:
        White

        Gender:
        Male

        Value of real estate:
        View
        image

        Post Office:
        Orono

        Household Members:

        Name
        Age

        Ira
        E Parsons
        38

        Evina
        Parsons
        34

        Alonzo
        Parsons
        14

        Fred
        Parsons
        12

        Charles
        Parsons
        10

        William
        Parsons
        8

        Frank
        Parsons
        6

        Kinelia
        Parsons
        4

        Irene
        Parsons
        65

        Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Orono, Penobscot, Maine; Roll  M593_555;
        Page: 353A; Image: 230; Family History Library Film: 552054.1880 United States Federal Census

        Name:
        Ira E. Parsons

        Home in 1880:
        Orono, Penobscot, Maine

        Age:
        49

        Estimated birth year:
        abt 1831

        Birthplace:
        Maine

        Relation to Head of Household:
        Self (Head)

        Spouse's name:
        Elvira

        Father's birthplace:
        Maine

        Mother's Name:
        Irene

        Mother's birthplace:
        Maine

        Neighbors:
        View
        others on page

        Occupation:
        Blacksmith

        Marital Status:
        Married

        Race:
        White

        Gender:
        Male

        Cannot read/write:

        Blind:

        Deaf
        and dumb:

        Otherwise disabled:

        Idiotic or insane:
        View
        image

        Household Members:

        Name
        Age

        Ira
        E. Parsons
        49

        Elvira
        Parsons
        44

        Alonzo
        D. Parsons
        24

        Charles
        Parsons
        19

        Frank
        Parsons
        15

        Cornelia
        A. Parsons
        14

        Lorin
        D. Parsons
        12

        Sarah
        J. Parsons
        8

        Arthur
        M. Parsons
        6

        Irene
        Parsons
        66

        "TinaS" <tolksteel@. ..> wrote:

        > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.

        > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!

        > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

        > Just waiting to help,

        > TolkSteel

      • Selena D
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2010
          Thank you all for the help that you sent...I didn't explain it well I guess, I should have said I didn't know what happened to Hiram or Daniel Parsons after the 1840 census, Irene, their mother seems to have moved in with Ira, her eldest...but again, thanks for the incredibly quick responses...

        • tenmans38@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , May 3, 2010
            Ok I need some help.
            I am looking for my Great great Grandpa George Thompson.
            He was born in Kentucky in about 1820 (but I suspect it was
            10 or 11 years earlier).His wife's name unknown was from Ohio.
            They had a son named Harrison B (Benjamin) Thompson born
            Jan 22 1835 in Kentucky.The death certificates of some of Harrison
            oldest children (including my grandpa) place them at Clarksville
            Missouri when they were born. I have seen it listed on the Mormon
            pedigree (which always has the births at least 10 to 11 years off
            but gets most of the few deaths dates right)that George Thompson
            was buried in centenary cem,Ralls Mo.

            Early Sunday morning I located that cemetery web site (I am posting
            it below) and found one of Harrison's sons and wife posted as well
            as one of his Daughter's and her husband thru photographs posted.
            I saw no listing of George Thompson but he should be there. Would
            it be possible to ask them and maybe even get birth and death dates
            of my grandpa who likely was born around 1809 or 1810?
            Please check out the link below.

            Mike

            _Centernary Cem Ralls Co Missouri album | Iowaz iowaz @ swbell.net |
            Fotki.com_
            (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/)

            Posted by: "TinaS"
            We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
            genealogy brickwalls.

            Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
            wall!!

            Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
            help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

            Just waiting to help,
            TolkSteel

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2010
              Hi,

              Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
              current brick wall.

              What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
              (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois

              Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
              Cavalry.

              What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
              Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.

              His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.

              If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.

              Carol

              _____

              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                I am going to finally ask for some help. My paternal grandfather is supposed to be Horace A. Davis, born in R.I., or PA on 20 Aug 1853. . He is listed in numerous census reports as being born in both. The problem is that I cannot find him in any records other than the census reports, birth, marriage, or death and that seems impossible. He was married to a Ada/Adeline/Addie/Adda J. Bean according to the family Bible on 04 Mar 1875, I have that she was born in NY in 1860 and died in NY 18 Oct 1930. He supposedly died in Mar 1940. Can anyone find any of these records anywhere? I really do not feel that I can take this line further until I am positive of these facts and have at least one piece of conclusive proof. Thank you so much...Marsha

              • Robin McClure
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                  Hi Carol,
                  I noticed a few resources at FamilySearch Wiki are being added to the Hancock
                  County Illinois
                  <https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hancock_County,_Illinois>page. If
                  you click on the Family History Library Catalog link under
                  websites, select vital records, you will find this resource which can be
                  order at a local FHC:
                  Birth certificates, death records, marriage records, applications for
                  marriage licenses,
                  1829-1947<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=196973&disp=Birth+certificates%2C+death+records%2C+m>
                  Hancock County (Illinois). County Clerk

                  I also found some other interesting items which I do not know if you have
                  seen:
                  1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
                  Name: Montraville Geletls
                  [Montraville Gelette]
                  <javascript:TGN.Ancestry.Search.Orem.DoOrem(32890260)> Home
                  in 1880: Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail, Minnesota Age: 36 Estimated birth
                  year: abt 1844 Birthplace: Illinois Relation to Head of Household: Self
                  (Head) Spouse's name: Mary S. Father's birthplace: New York Mother's
                  birthplace: New York Neighbors: Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married
                  Race: White Gender: Male
                  Cannot read/write:

                  Blind:

                  Deaf and dumb:

                  Otherwise disabled:

                  Idiotic or insane:
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=view&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MNT9_629-0007&fn=Montraville&ln=Geletls&st=r&ssrc=&pid=32890260>

                  Household Members: Name Age Montraville
                  Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890260>
                  36 Mary S. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=48071728>
                  30 Rebecca E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890261>
                  9 Eleonora Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228514>
                  8 Montraville Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228587>
                  4 Rosa Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279680>
                  2 Bertha E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279819>
                  9M George Restorff<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890042>
                  20
                  Also please confirm: 1895
                  Census<http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&surname=gelette>

                  and check these databases:
                  http://www.genealogyplace.com/surnames/g06261112.html

                  US 1850 Census 7years old Montivelle Gillet:
                  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#searchType=close&birthYear=1844&birthPlaceId=14&birthPlaceLoc1=Illinois%2C%20United%20States&surname=gilette&p=recordResults

                  1840 US Census Gillette in Hancock County Illinois:
                  View Record Name Residence
                  (City,County,State) View Image
                  Saml Gillett Hancock, Illinois
                  <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=4411225_00980&fn=Saml&ln=Gillett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=3084906>

                  Truman Gillett

                  Hancock, Illinois

                  Sincerely,
                  Robin

                  On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Carol <minisntrees@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                  > current brick wall.
                  >
                  > What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                  > (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois
                  >
                  > Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                  > Cavalry.
                  >
                  > What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                  > Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.
                  >
                  > His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.
                  >
                  > If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.
                  >
                  > Carol
                  >
                  > _____
                  >
                  > From: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > [mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>]
                  > On Behalf Of TinaS
                  >
                  > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                  > genealogy brickwalls.
                  >
                  > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                  > wall!!
                  >
                  > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                  > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
                  >
                  > Just waiting to help,
                  > TolkSteel

                  > 04:34:00

                  About Me:
                  http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
                  Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
                  Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
                  LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
                  Robin's Family History Store:
                  http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

                  Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
                  Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
                  Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

                • Arlene Miles
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                    Have you tried GenWeb for the two states you mentioned? You should check FamilySearch.org also.
                     Arlene

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                      I have checked FamilySearch.org and there is nothing. I am going to look at GenWeb. Kate found the list of burials for quite a few of my family on Rootsweb so that is a huge help too. Thanks to all for helping me with this stumbling block...Marsha

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                        One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                        http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=27994&CScn=centen&CScntry=4&CSst=26&
                        and if you know that he was buried there, you can create a memorial and
                        request a photo.

                        Good Luck!
                        Stacey Olsen

                      • tenmans38@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 10, 2010
                          Thanks Stacey,
                          I did email that website I had posted before for help and this was the
                          response.

                          ====If George Thompson is buried in Centenary it is an unmarked grave and
                          in the Thompson plot area.

                          ====I would have taken pics of all marked Thompson markers on that visit
                          as one of my main NE Iowa lines is the Thompson's out of Harford.Co.MD. I
                          was trying to find a connection to the NE Iowa and NE MO Thompson's for a
                          long time so was/am always on the lookout for Thompson material. Plus the
                          Thompson's were some of the very first white settlers in Pike and Ralls Co's.

                          So as you can see I came up with nothing.:-(
                          I have wondered if there might be a Library close by there that
                          would have a record of his death. Maybe even as a newspaper
                          listing.But its to far away for me to reach. Maybe if I could find
                          someone there (even a Library) that would offer to help me.
                          This means I would have to also hope that a Library close by
                          would have a death listing (that a volunteer took the time to make)
                          of people that died in the 1800's. My Library does for those years.
                          The death listing would say something like this:George Thompson
                          (after finding it listed under the T's for-or Thompson) died on month
                          in 18?? and is posted in this local newspaper on that date.Then
                          that person looking at a roll of newspaper (for that month and year)
                          film would go to that dates listings.The obit should list a wife (if
                          living)
                          and all living siblings. Harrison (or Benjamin)would be a sibling and
                          any others would be new info.Now if I could just find one volunteer
                          that lived in that area to do all that for a weekend or two.What hope is
                          there of that?Maybe if there was a genealogy group in that area?
                          I will check out the link you posted maybe I could talk to someone
                          else who knows something there.

                          Mike

                          Posted by: "Stacey Olsen"
                          One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                          _http://www.findagrahttp://www.http://www.http://&CRid=CRid=&CScn=CScn=<&CSc
                          ntry=C&CSst=26&_

                          (_http://public.http://pubhttp://publihttp://public.<Whttp://publhttp://pu_
                          (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/) )