Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Post a Genealogy Brickwall!!

  • Traci Roberts
    Message 1 of 23 , May 2, 2010
      Here's my brickwall: my grandfather!

      Charley Josiah Roberts
      b: 12 Jan 1875, Houston, Perry Co. Ga
      m. Mattie Lou Tomlin/Tumlin
          b: 25 April 1885, Richland, Stewart Co, Ga
      d: 22 Nov. 1941, Moultrie, Colquitt Co., Ga

      I THINK I have his parents - William R. Roberts and Martha Henry, but cannot find any verification.

      My father did not not know any names of relatives, only called them Grandma, Grandpa, etc.

      Any help will be so appreciated!

      Traci in Texas

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2010
        Hi there,
        I am looking for any information on my great grandmother Katherine Eva TWOMBLY(TWOMBLEY) b.1874 in Massachuetts, d.1937, York,Maine(I assume). On the 1930 federal census she is still listed in York,Maine. She was married to William S. Parsons, b.1865,Maine, d.1937,Maine.One of my great grandmothers was supposed to be Penobscot, but the records were burned in a fire quite a while back,so no looking there and the tribe was wiped out mainly due to marrying out.The other wall has been for an Ira E PARSONS, William's father, I know his mother was Irene,b.about 1810ish, and they lived in the Dover and Orono, Maine area before moving to York County, Maine.Ira was born about 1836, Dover, Maine and had two younger brothers, Daniel and Hiram, but I find absolutely nothing on them after the 1840 census. Any info that can be given would be great.Thanks...

        Kelley Parsons-Gibson

        "TinaS" <tolksteel@...> wrote:

        > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.
        >
        > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!
        >
        > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
        >
        > Just waiting to help,
        > TolkSteel

      • Kate
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2010
          1850 United States Federal Census

          Name:
          Ira E Parsons

          Age:
          20

          Estimated birth year:
          abt 1830

          Birth Place:
          Maine

          Gender:
          Male

          Home in 1850 (City,County,State):
          Dover, Piscataquis, Maine

          Family Number:
          175

          Household Members:

          Name
          Age

          Ira
          E Parsons
          20

          Irene
          Parsons
          40

          Hiram
          Parsons
          14

          Daniel
          Parsons
          16

          Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Dover, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M432_267;
          Page: 286B; Image: 220.1860 United States Federal Census

          Name:
          Ira E Parsons

          Age in 1860:
          32

          Birth Year:
          abt 1828

          Birthplace:
          Maine

          Home in 1860:
          Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine

          Gender:
          Male

          Post Office:
          South Atkinson

          Value of real estate:
          View
          image

          Household Members:

          Name
          Age

          Ira
          E Parsons
          32

          Alvina
          Parsons
          26

          Susan
          C Parsons
          6

          Alonzo
          Parsons
          3

          Frederic
          Parsons
          2

          Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M653_433;
          Page: 775; Image: 19; Family History Library Film: 803433.1870 United States Federal Census

          Name:
          Ira E Parsons

          Birth Year:
          abt 1832

          Age in 1870:
          38

          Birthplace:
          Maine

          Home in 1870:
          Orono, Penobscot, Maine

          Race:
          White

          Gender:
          Male

          Value of real estate:
          View
          image

          Post Office:
          Orono

          Household Members:

          Name
          Age

          Ira
          E Parsons
          38

          Evina
          Parsons
          34

          Alonzo
          Parsons
          14

          Fred
          Parsons
          12

          Charles
          Parsons
          10

          William
          Parsons
          8

          Frank
          Parsons
          6

          Kinelia
          Parsons
          4

          Irene
          Parsons
          65

          Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Orono, Penobscot, Maine; Roll  M593_555;
          Page: 353A; Image: 230; Family History Library Film: 552054.1880 United States Federal Census

          Name:
          Ira E. Parsons

          Home in 1880:
          Orono, Penobscot, Maine

          Age:
          49

          Estimated birth year:
          abt 1831

          Birthplace:
          Maine

          Relation to Head of Household:
          Self (Head)

          Spouse's name:
          Elvira

          Father's birthplace:
          Maine

          Mother's Name:
          Irene

          Mother's birthplace:
          Maine

          Neighbors:
          View
          others on page

          Occupation:
          Blacksmith

          Marital Status:
          Married

          Race:
          White

          Gender:
          Male

          Cannot read/write:

          Blind:

          Deaf
          and dumb:

          Otherwise disabled:

          Idiotic or insane:
          View
          image

          Household Members:

          Name
          Age

          Ira
          E. Parsons
          49

          Elvira
          Parsons
          44

          Alonzo
          D. Parsons
          24

          Charles
          Parsons
          19

          Frank
          Parsons
          15

          Cornelia
          A. Parsons
          14

          Lorin
          D. Parsons
          12

          Sarah
          J. Parsons
          8

          Arthur
          M. Parsons
          6

          Irene
          Parsons
          66

          "TinaS" <tolksteel@. ..> wrote:

          > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.

          > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!

          > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

          > Just waiting to help,

          > TolkSteel

        • Selena D
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2010
            Thank you all for the help that you sent...I didn't explain it well I guess, I should have said I didn't know what happened to Hiram or Daniel Parsons after the 1840 census, Irene, their mother seems to have moved in with Ira, her eldest...but again, thanks for the incredibly quick responses...

          • tenmans38@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , May 3, 2010
              Ok I need some help.
              I am looking for my Great great Grandpa George Thompson.
              He was born in Kentucky in about 1820 (but I suspect it was
              10 or 11 years earlier).His wife's name unknown was from Ohio.
              They had a son named Harrison B (Benjamin) Thompson born
              Jan 22 1835 in Kentucky.The death certificates of some of Harrison
              oldest children (including my grandpa) place them at Clarksville
              Missouri when they were born. I have seen it listed on the Mormon
              pedigree (which always has the births at least 10 to 11 years off
              but gets most of the few deaths dates right)that George Thompson
              was buried in centenary cem,Ralls Mo.

              Early Sunday morning I located that cemetery web site (I am posting
              it below) and found one of Harrison's sons and wife posted as well
              as one of his Daughter's and her husband thru photographs posted.
              I saw no listing of George Thompson but he should be there. Would
              it be possible to ask them and maybe even get birth and death dates
              of my grandpa who likely was born around 1809 or 1810?
              Please check out the link below.

              Mike

              _Centernary Cem Ralls Co Missouri album | Iowaz iowaz @ swbell.net |
              Fotki.com_
              (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/)

              Posted by: "TinaS"
              We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
              genealogy brickwalls.

              Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
              wall!!

              Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
              help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

              Just waiting to help,
              TolkSteel

            • Carol
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                Hi,

                Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                current brick wall.

                What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois

                Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                Cavalry.

                What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.

                His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.

                If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.

                Carol

                _____

                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                  I am going to finally ask for some help. My paternal grandfather is supposed to be Horace A. Davis, born in R.I., or PA on 20 Aug 1853. . He is listed in numerous census reports as being born in both. The problem is that I cannot find him in any records other than the census reports, birth, marriage, or death and that seems impossible. He was married to a Ada/Adeline/Addie/Adda J. Bean according to the family Bible on 04 Mar 1875, I have that she was born in NY in 1860 and died in NY 18 Oct 1930. He supposedly died in Mar 1940. Can anyone find any of these records anywhere? I really do not feel that I can take this line further until I am positive of these facts and have at least one piece of conclusive proof. Thank you so much...Marsha

                • Robin McClure
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                    Hi Carol,
                    I noticed a few resources at FamilySearch Wiki are being added to the Hancock
                    County Illinois
                    <https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hancock_County,_Illinois>page. If
                    you click on the Family History Library Catalog link under
                    websites, select vital records, you will find this resource which can be
                    order at a local FHC:
                    Birth certificates, death records, marriage records, applications for
                    marriage licenses,
                    1829-1947<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=196973&disp=Birth+certificates%2C+death+records%2C+m>
                    Hancock County (Illinois). County Clerk

                    I also found some other interesting items which I do not know if you have
                    seen:
                    1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
                    Name: Montraville Geletls
                    [Montraville Gelette]
                    <javascript:TGN.Ancestry.Search.Orem.DoOrem(32890260)> Home
                    in 1880: Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail, Minnesota Age: 36 Estimated birth
                    year: abt 1844 Birthplace: Illinois Relation to Head of Household: Self
                    (Head) Spouse's name: Mary S. Father's birthplace: New York Mother's
                    birthplace: New York Neighbors: Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married
                    Race: White Gender: Male
                    Cannot read/write:

                    Blind:

                    Deaf and dumb:

                    Otherwise disabled:

                    Idiotic or insane:
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=view&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MNT9_629-0007&fn=Montraville&ln=Geletls&st=r&ssrc=&pid=32890260>

                    Household Members: Name Age Montraville
                    Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890260>
                    36 Mary S. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=48071728>
                    30 Rebecca E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890261>
                    9 Eleonora Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228514>
                    8 Montraville Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228587>
                    4 Rosa Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279680>
                    2 Bertha E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279819>
                    9M George Restorff<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890042>
                    20
                    Also please confirm: 1895
                    Census<http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&surname=gelette>

                    and check these databases:
                    http://www.genealogyplace.com/surnames/g06261112.html

                    US 1850 Census 7years old Montivelle Gillet:
                    http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#searchType=close&birthYear=1844&birthPlaceId=14&birthPlaceLoc1=Illinois%2C%20United%20States&surname=gilette&p=recordResults

                    1840 US Census Gillette in Hancock County Illinois:
                    View Record Name Residence
                    (City,County,State) View Image
                    Saml Gillett Hancock, Illinois
                    <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=4411225_00980&fn=Saml&ln=Gillett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=3084906>

                    Truman Gillett

                    Hancock, Illinois

                    Sincerely,
                    Robin

                    On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Carol <minisntrees@...> wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                    > current brick wall.
                    >
                    > What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                    > (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois
                    >
                    > Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                    > Cavalry.
                    >
                    > What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                    > Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.
                    >
                    > His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.
                    >
                    > If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.
                    >
                    > Carol
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > From: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > [mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>]
                    > On Behalf Of TinaS
                    >
                    > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                    > genealogy brickwalls.
                    >
                    > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                    > wall!!
                    >
                    > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                    > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
                    >
                    > Just waiting to help,
                    > TolkSteel

                    > 04:34:00

                    About Me:
                    http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
                    Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
                    Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
                    LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
                    Robin's Family History Store:
                    http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

                    Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
                    Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
                    Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

                  • Arlene Miles
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                      Have you tried GenWeb for the two states you mentioned? You should check FamilySearch.org also.
                       Arlene

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                        I have checked FamilySearch.org and there is nothing. I am going to look at GenWeb. Kate found the list of burials for quite a few of my family on Rootsweb so that is a huge help too. Thanks to all for helping me with this stumbling block...Marsha

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                          One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                          http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=27994&CScn=centen&CScntry=4&CSst=26&
                          and if you know that he was buried there, you can create a memorial and
                          request a photo.

                          Good Luck!
                          Stacey Olsen

                        • tenmans38@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 10, 2010
                            Thanks Stacey,
                            I did email that website I had posted before for help and this was the
                            response.

                            ====If George Thompson is buried in Centenary it is an unmarked grave and
                            in the Thompson plot area.

                            ====I would have taken pics of all marked Thompson markers on that visit
                            as one of my main NE Iowa lines is the Thompson's out of Harford.Co.MD. I
                            was trying to find a connection to the NE Iowa and NE MO Thompson's for a
                            long time so was/am always on the lookout for Thompson material. Plus the
                            Thompson's were some of the very first white settlers in Pike and Ralls Co's.

                            So as you can see I came up with nothing.:-(
                            I have wondered if there might be a Library close by there that
                            would have a record of his death. Maybe even as a newspaper
                            listing.But its to far away for me to reach. Maybe if I could find
                            someone there (even a Library) that would offer to help me.
                            This means I would have to also hope that a Library close by
                            would have a death listing (that a volunteer took the time to make)
                            of people that died in the 1800's. My Library does for those years.
                            The death listing would say something like this:George Thompson
                            (after finding it listed under the T's for-or Thompson) died on month
                            in 18?? and is posted in this local newspaper on that date.Then
                            that person looking at a roll of newspaper (for that month and year)
                            film would go to that dates listings.The obit should list a wife (if
                            living)
                            and all living siblings. Harrison (or Benjamin)would be a sibling and
                            any others would be new info.Now if I could just find one volunteer
                            that lived in that area to do all that for a weekend or two.What hope is
                            there of that?Maybe if there was a genealogy group in that area?
                            I will check out the link you posted maybe I could talk to someone
                            else who knows something there.

                            Mike

                            Posted by: "Stacey Olsen"
                            One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                            _http://www.findagrahttp://www.http://www.http://&CRid=CRid=&CScn=CScn=<&CSc
                            ntry=C&CSst=26&_

                            (_http://public.http://pubhttp://publihttp://public.<Whttp://publhttp://pu_
                            (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/) )