Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Okay -- try this brick wall!

  • Robin McClure
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1, 2010
      Here are some resources for Turkey for all you who may be trying to break
      this brick wall:
      Family History Library Catalog:
      Turkey<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=196&subject_disp=Turkey&columns=*,0,0>

      and

      Turkey Helpful Websites<https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Turkey_Helpful_Websites>at
      FamilySearch Wiki

      Good luck!

      On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Bonnee Caplan <bonneec1@...> wrote:

      > Lazar Caplan was born about 1834 in Turkey (then the Ottoman Empire) by
      > accident. His father was a representative of the German government to
      > Turkey. He came to the U.S. in about 1865/66. He married Mary Dux who was
      > from Europe -- probably Austria (her sister Sarah apparently came over with
      > her and she married James Rosenfeld). Lazar and Mary got married on Oct. 5,
      > 1872. They went into business in Alaska as a general store in Sitka. We
      > think Lazar died in about 1885 in Sitka. Okay now you know what we know,
      > good luck. I hope you find something -- I've been trying for a looonnnggg
      > time!
      >
      > Bonnee CapLan
      >
      > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
      > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Post a Genealogy Brickwall!!
      > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 9:31 AM
      >

      > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
      > genealogy brickwalls.
      >
      > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
      > wall!!
      >
      > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
      > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
      >
      > Just waiting to help,
      >
      > TolkSteel

      About Me:
      http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
      Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
      Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
      LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
      Robin's Family History Store:
      http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

      Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
      Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
      Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

    • Traci Roberts
      Message 2 of 23 , May 2, 2010
        Here's my brickwall: my grandfather!

        Charley Josiah Roberts
        b: 12 Jan 1875, Houston, Perry Co. Ga
        m. Mattie Lou Tomlin/Tumlin
            b: 25 April 1885, Richland, Stewart Co, Ga
        d: 22 Nov. 1941, Moultrie, Colquitt Co., Ga

        I THINK I have his parents - William R. Roberts and Martha Henry, but cannot find any verification.

        My father did not not know any names of relatives, only called them Grandma, Grandpa, etc.

        Any help will be so appreciated!

        Traci in Texas

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 23 , May 2, 2010
          Hi there,
          I am looking for any information on my great grandmother Katherine Eva TWOMBLY(TWOMBLEY) b.1874 in Massachuetts, d.1937, York,Maine(I assume). On the 1930 federal census she is still listed in York,Maine. She was married to William S. Parsons, b.1865,Maine, d.1937,Maine.One of my great grandmothers was supposed to be Penobscot, but the records were burned in a fire quite a while back,so no looking there and the tribe was wiped out mainly due to marrying out.The other wall has been for an Ira E PARSONS, William's father, I know his mother was Irene,b.about 1810ish, and they lived in the Dover and Orono, Maine area before moving to York County, Maine.Ira was born about 1836, Dover, Maine and had two younger brothers, Daniel and Hiram, but I find absolutely nothing on them after the 1840 census. Any info that can be given would be great.Thanks...

          Kelley Parsons-Gibson

          "TinaS" <tolksteel@...> wrote:

          > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.
          >
          > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!
          >
          > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
          >
          > Just waiting to help,
          > TolkSteel

        • Kate
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2010
            1850 United States Federal Census

            Name:
            Ira E Parsons

            Age:
            20

            Estimated birth year:
            abt 1830

            Birth Place:
            Maine

            Gender:
            Male

            Home in 1850 (City,County,State):
            Dover, Piscataquis, Maine

            Family Number:
            175

            Household Members:

            Name
            Age

            Ira
            E Parsons
            20

            Irene
            Parsons
            40

            Hiram
            Parsons
            14

            Daniel
            Parsons
            16

            Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Dover, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M432_267;
            Page: 286B; Image: 220.1860 United States Federal Census

            Name:
            Ira E Parsons

            Age in 1860:
            32

            Birth Year:
            abt 1828

            Birthplace:
            Maine

            Home in 1860:
            Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine

            Gender:
            Male

            Post Office:
            South Atkinson

            Value of real estate:
            View
            image

            Household Members:

            Name
            Age

            Ira
            E Parsons
            32

            Alvina
            Parsons
            26

            Susan
            C Parsons
            6

            Alonzo
            Parsons
            3

            Frederic
            Parsons
            2

            Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M653_433;
            Page: 775; Image: 19; Family History Library Film: 803433.1870 United States Federal Census

            Name:
            Ira E Parsons

            Birth Year:
            abt 1832

            Age in 1870:
            38

            Birthplace:
            Maine

            Home in 1870:
            Orono, Penobscot, Maine

            Race:
            White

            Gender:
            Male

            Value of real estate:
            View
            image

            Post Office:
            Orono

            Household Members:

            Name
            Age

            Ira
            E Parsons
            38

            Evina
            Parsons
            34

            Alonzo
            Parsons
            14

            Fred
            Parsons
            12

            Charles
            Parsons
            10

            William
            Parsons
            8

            Frank
            Parsons
            6

            Kinelia
            Parsons
            4

            Irene
            Parsons
            65

            Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Orono, Penobscot, Maine; Roll  M593_555;
            Page: 353A; Image: 230; Family History Library Film: 552054.1880 United States Federal Census

            Name:
            Ira E. Parsons

            Home in 1880:
            Orono, Penobscot, Maine

            Age:
            49

            Estimated birth year:
            abt 1831

            Birthplace:
            Maine

            Relation to Head of Household:
            Self (Head)

            Spouse's name:
            Elvira

            Father's birthplace:
            Maine

            Mother's Name:
            Irene

            Mother's birthplace:
            Maine

            Neighbors:
            View
            others on page

            Occupation:
            Blacksmith

            Marital Status:
            Married

            Race:
            White

            Gender:
            Male

            Cannot read/write:

            Blind:

            Deaf
            and dumb:

            Otherwise disabled:

            Idiotic or insane:
            View
            image

            Household Members:

            Name
            Age

            Ira
            E. Parsons
            49

            Elvira
            Parsons
            44

            Alonzo
            D. Parsons
            24

            Charles
            Parsons
            19

            Frank
            Parsons
            15

            Cornelia
            A. Parsons
            14

            Lorin
            D. Parsons
            12

            Sarah
            J. Parsons
            8

            Arthur
            M. Parsons
            6

            Irene
            Parsons
            66

            "TinaS" <tolksteel@. ..> wrote:

            > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.

            > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!

            > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

            > Just waiting to help,

            > TolkSteel

          • Selena D
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2010
              Thank you all for the help that you sent...I didn't explain it well I guess, I should have said I didn't know what happened to Hiram or Daniel Parsons after the 1840 census, Irene, their mother seems to have moved in with Ira, her eldest...but again, thanks for the incredibly quick responses...

            • tenmans38@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                Ok I need some help.
                I am looking for my Great great Grandpa George Thompson.
                He was born in Kentucky in about 1820 (but I suspect it was
                10 or 11 years earlier).His wife's name unknown was from Ohio.
                They had a son named Harrison B (Benjamin) Thompson born
                Jan 22 1835 in Kentucky.The death certificates of some of Harrison
                oldest children (including my grandpa) place them at Clarksville
                Missouri when they were born. I have seen it listed on the Mormon
                pedigree (which always has the births at least 10 to 11 years off
                but gets most of the few deaths dates right)that George Thompson
                was buried in centenary cem,Ralls Mo.

                Early Sunday morning I located that cemetery web site (I am posting
                it below) and found one of Harrison's sons and wife posted as well
                as one of his Daughter's and her husband thru photographs posted.
                I saw no listing of George Thompson but he should be there. Would
                it be possible to ask them and maybe even get birth and death dates
                of my grandpa who likely was born around 1809 or 1810?
                Please check out the link below.

                Mike

                _Centernary Cem Ralls Co Missouri album | Iowaz iowaz @ swbell.net |
                Fotki.com_
                (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/)

                Posted by: "TinaS"
                We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                genealogy brickwalls.

                Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                wall!!

                Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

                Just waiting to help,
                TolkSteel

              • Carol
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                  Hi,

                  Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                  current brick wall.

                  What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                  (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois

                  Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                  Cavalry.

                  What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                  Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.

                  His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.

                  If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.

                  Carol

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                    I am going to finally ask for some help. My paternal grandfather is supposed to be Horace A. Davis, born in R.I., or PA on 20 Aug 1853. . He is listed in numerous census reports as being born in both. The problem is that I cannot find him in any records other than the census reports, birth, marriage, or death and that seems impossible. He was married to a Ada/Adeline/Addie/Adda J. Bean according to the family Bible on 04 Mar 1875, I have that she was born in NY in 1860 and died in NY 18 Oct 1930. He supposedly died in Mar 1940. Can anyone find any of these records anywhere? I really do not feel that I can take this line further until I am positive of these facts and have at least one piece of conclusive proof. Thank you so much...Marsha

                  • Robin McClure
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                      Hi Carol,
                      I noticed a few resources at FamilySearch Wiki are being added to the Hancock
                      County Illinois
                      <https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hancock_County,_Illinois>page. If
                      you click on the Family History Library Catalog link under
                      websites, select vital records, you will find this resource which can be
                      order at a local FHC:
                      Birth certificates, death records, marriage records, applications for
                      marriage licenses,
                      1829-1947<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=196973&disp=Birth+certificates%2C+death+records%2C+m>
                      Hancock County (Illinois). County Clerk

                      I also found some other interesting items which I do not know if you have
                      seen:
                      1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
                      Name: Montraville Geletls
                      [Montraville Gelette]
                      <javascript:TGN.Ancestry.Search.Orem.DoOrem(32890260)> Home
                      in 1880: Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail, Minnesota Age: 36 Estimated birth
                      year: abt 1844 Birthplace: Illinois Relation to Head of Household: Self
                      (Head) Spouse's name: Mary S. Father's birthplace: New York Mother's
                      birthplace: New York Neighbors: Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married
                      Race: White Gender: Male
                      Cannot read/write:

                      Blind:

                      Deaf and dumb:

                      Otherwise disabled:

                      Idiotic or insane:
                      <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=view&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MNT9_629-0007&fn=Montraville&ln=Geletls&st=r&ssrc=&pid=32890260>

                      Household Members: Name Age Montraville
                      Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890260>
                      36 Mary S. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=48071728>
                      30 Rebecca E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890261>
                      9 Eleonora Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228514>
                      8 Montraville Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228587>
                      4 Rosa Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279680>
                      2 Bertha E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279819>
                      9M George Restorff<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890042>
                      20
                      Also please confirm: 1895
                      Census<http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&surname=gelette>

                      and check these databases:
                      http://www.genealogyplace.com/surnames/g06261112.html

                      US 1850 Census 7years old Montivelle Gillet:
                      http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#searchType=close&birthYear=1844&birthPlaceId=14&birthPlaceLoc1=Illinois%2C%20United%20States&surname=gilette&p=recordResults

                      1840 US Census Gillette in Hancock County Illinois:
                      View Record Name Residence
                      (City,County,State) View Image
                      Saml Gillett Hancock, Illinois
                      <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=4411225_00980&fn=Saml&ln=Gillett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=3084906>

                      Truman Gillett

                      Hancock, Illinois

                      Sincerely,
                      Robin

                      On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Carol <minisntrees@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                      > current brick wall.
                      >
                      > What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                      > (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois
                      >
                      > Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                      > Cavalry.
                      >
                      > What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                      > Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.
                      >
                      > His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.
                      >
                      > If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.
                      >
                      > Carol
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > From: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > [mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>]
                      > On Behalf Of TinaS
                      >
                      > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                      > genealogy brickwalls.
                      >
                      > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                      > wall!!
                      >
                      > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                      > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
                      >
                      > Just waiting to help,
                      > TolkSteel

                      > 04:34:00

                      About Me:
                      http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
                      Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
                      Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
                      LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
                      Robin's Family History Store:
                      http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

                      Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
                      Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
                      Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

                    • Arlene Miles
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                        Have you tried GenWeb for the two states you mentioned? You should check FamilySearch.org also.
                         Arlene

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                          I have checked FamilySearch.org and there is nothing. I am going to look at GenWeb. Kate found the list of burials for quite a few of my family on Rootsweb so that is a huge help too. Thanks to all for helping me with this stumbling block...Marsha

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                            One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                            http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=27994&CScn=centen&CScntry=4&CSst=26&
                            and if you know that he was buried there, you can create a memorial and
                            request a photo.

                            Good Luck!
                            Stacey Olsen

                          • tenmans38@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 10, 2010
                              Thanks Stacey,
                              I did email that website I had posted before for help and this was the
                              response.

                              ====If George Thompson is buried in Centenary it is an unmarked grave and
                              in the Thompson plot area.

                              ====I would have taken pics of all marked Thompson markers on that visit
                              as one of my main NE Iowa lines is the Thompson's out of Harford.Co.MD. I
                              was trying to find a connection to the NE Iowa and NE MO Thompson's for a
                              long time so was/am always on the lookout for Thompson material. Plus the
                              Thompson's were some of the very first white settlers in Pike and Ralls Co's.

                              So as you can see I came up with nothing.:-(
                              I have wondered if there might be a Library close by there that
                              would have a record of his death. Maybe even as a newspaper
                              listing.But its to far away for me to reach. Maybe if I could find
                              someone there (even a Library) that would offer to help me.
                              This means I would have to also hope that a Library close by
                              would have a death listing (that a volunteer took the time to make)
                              of people that died in the 1800's. My Library does for those years.
                              The death listing would say something like this:George Thompson
                              (after finding it listed under the T's for-or Thompson) died on month
                              in 18?? and is posted in this local newspaper on that date.Then
                              that person looking at a roll of newspaper (for that month and year)
                              film would go to that dates listings.The obit should list a wife (if
                              living)
                              and all living siblings. Harrison (or Benjamin)would be a sibling and
                              any others would be new info.Now if I could just find one volunteer
                              that lived in that area to do all that for a weekend or two.What hope is
                              there of that?Maybe if there was a genealogy group in that area?
                              I will check out the link you posted maybe I could talk to someone
                              else who knows something there.

                              Mike

                              Posted by: "Stacey Olsen"
                              One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                              _http://www.findagrahttp://www.http://www.http://&CRid=CRid=&CScn=CScn=<&CSc
                              ntry=C&CSst=26&_

                              (_http://public.http://pubhttp://publihttp://public.<Whttp://publhttp://pu_
                              (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/) )