Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Okay -- try this brick wall!

  • Robin McClure
    Message 1 of 23 , May 1 10:12 PM
      Here are some resources for Turkey for all you who may be trying to break
      this brick wall:
      Family History Library Catalog:
      Turkey<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=196&subject_disp=Turkey&columns=*,0,0>

      and

      Turkey Helpful Websites<https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Turkey_Helpful_Websites>at
      FamilySearch Wiki

      Good luck!

      On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Bonnee Caplan <bonneec1@...> wrote:

      > Lazar Caplan was born about 1834 in Turkey (then the Ottoman Empire) by
      > accident. His father was a representative of the German government to
      > Turkey. He came to the U.S. in about 1865/66. He married Mary Dux who was
      > from Europe -- probably Austria (her sister Sarah apparently came over with
      > her and she married James Rosenfeld). Lazar and Mary got married on Oct. 5,
      > 1872. They went into business in Alaska as a general store in Sitka. We
      > think Lazar died in about 1885 in Sitka. Okay now you know what we know,
      > good luck. I hope you find something -- I've been trying for a looonnnggg
      > time!
      >
      > Bonnee CapLan
      >
      > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
      > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Post a Genealogy Brickwall!!
      > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 9:31 AM
      >

      > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
      > genealogy brickwalls.
      >
      > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
      > wall!!
      >
      > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
      > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
      >
      > Just waiting to help,
      >
      > TolkSteel

      About Me:
      http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
      Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
      Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
      LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
      Robin's Family History Store:
      http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

      Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
      Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
      Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

    • Robin McClure
      Message 2 of 23 , May 1 10:32 PM
        Hi Michelle,
        If you search by the surname only of Stalvey at the
        SCDAH<http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/search.aspx>online
        index, you will find records which can be accessed there. Some are
        available online. You may also try the alternate spelling(s).

        Not all records are indexed here, so it is possible the SCDAH may have more
        records which are on microfilm or in books.

        Sincerely,
        Robin

        On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Michelle <michelles_moments@...>wrote:

        > My ancestry can be traced to Peter Stalvey born in 1720 in Georgetown Dist,
        > South Carolina, USA, but we can't seem to find out who his parents were or
        > where they came from.
        >
        > There is speculation of a different last name (possibly Stalvior or
        > Stolvare) and the rumors of where he came from include Germany, Russia or
        > even French huguenots (sp?)
        >
        > If anyone can shed light on this or have any suggestions, I would greatly
        > appreciate it!
        >

        > Michelle
        >

        > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
        > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Post a Genealogy Brickwall!!
        > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 12:31 PM
        >

        > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
        > genealogy brickwalls.
        >
        > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
        > wall!!
        >
        > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
        > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
        >
        > Just waiting to help,
        > TolkSteel

        About Me:
        http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
        Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
        Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
        LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
        Robin's Family History Store:
        http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

        Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
        Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
        Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

      • Traci Roberts
        Message 3 of 23 , May 2 5:40 AM
          Here's my brickwall: my grandfather!

          Charley Josiah Roberts
          b: 12 Jan 1875, Houston, Perry Co. Ga
          m. Mattie Lou Tomlin/Tumlin
              b: 25 April 1885, Richland, Stewart Co, Ga
          d: 22 Nov. 1941, Moultrie, Colquitt Co., Ga

          I THINK I have his parents - William R. Roberts and Martha Henry, but cannot find any verification.

          My father did not not know any names of relatives, only called them Grandma, Grandpa, etc.

          Any help will be so appreciated!

          Traci in Texas

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 23 , May 2 8:41 AM
            Hi there,
            I am looking for any information on my great grandmother Katherine Eva TWOMBLY(TWOMBLEY) b.1874 in Massachuetts, d.1937, York,Maine(I assume). On the 1930 federal census she is still listed in York,Maine. She was married to William S. Parsons, b.1865,Maine, d.1937,Maine.One of my great grandmothers was supposed to be Penobscot, but the records were burned in a fire quite a while back,so no looking there and the tribe was wiped out mainly due to marrying out.The other wall has been for an Ira E PARSONS, William's father, I know his mother was Irene,b.about 1810ish, and they lived in the Dover and Orono, Maine area before moving to York County, Maine.Ira was born about 1836, Dover, Maine and had two younger brothers, Daniel and Hiram, but I find absolutely nothing on them after the 1840 census. Any info that can be given would be great.Thanks...

            Kelley Parsons-Gibson

            "TinaS" <tolksteel@...> wrote:

            > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.
            >
            > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!
            >
            > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
            >
            > Just waiting to help,
            > TolkSteel

          • Kate
            Message 5 of 23 , May 2 11:38 AM
              1850 United States Federal Census

              Name:
              Ira E Parsons

              Age:
              20

              Estimated birth year:
              abt 1830

              Birth Place:
              Maine

              Gender:
              Male

              Home in 1850 (City,County,State):
              Dover, Piscataquis, Maine

              Family Number:
              175

              Household Members:

              Name
              Age

              Ira
              E Parsons
              20

              Irene
              Parsons
              40

              Hiram
              Parsons
              14

              Daniel
              Parsons
              16

              Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Dover, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M432_267;
              Page: 286B; Image: 220.1860 United States Federal Census

              Name:
              Ira E Parsons

              Age in 1860:
              32

              Birth Year:
              abt 1828

              Birthplace:
              Maine

              Home in 1860:
              Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine

              Gender:
              Male

              Post Office:
              South Atkinson

              Value of real estate:
              View
              image

              Household Members:

              Name
              Age

              Ira
              E Parsons
              32

              Alvina
              Parsons
              26

              Susan
              C Parsons
              6

              Alonzo
              Parsons
              3

              Frederic
              Parsons
              2

              Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M653_433;
              Page: 775; Image: 19; Family History Library Film: 803433.1870 United States Federal Census

              Name:
              Ira E Parsons

              Birth Year:
              abt 1832

              Age in 1870:
              38

              Birthplace:
              Maine

              Home in 1870:
              Orono, Penobscot, Maine

              Race:
              White

              Gender:
              Male

              Value of real estate:
              View
              image

              Post Office:
              Orono

              Household Members:

              Name
              Age

              Ira
              E Parsons
              38

              Evina
              Parsons
              34

              Alonzo
              Parsons
              14

              Fred
              Parsons
              12

              Charles
              Parsons
              10

              William
              Parsons
              8

              Frank
              Parsons
              6

              Kinelia
              Parsons
              4

              Irene
              Parsons
              65

              Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Orono, Penobscot, Maine; Roll  M593_555;
              Page: 353A; Image: 230; Family History Library Film: 552054.1880 United States Federal Census

              Name:
              Ira E. Parsons

              Home in 1880:
              Orono, Penobscot, Maine

              Age:
              49

              Estimated birth year:
              abt 1831

              Birthplace:
              Maine

              Relation to Head of Household:
              Self (Head)

              Spouse's name:
              Elvira

              Father's birthplace:
              Maine

              Mother's Name:
              Irene

              Mother's birthplace:
              Maine

              Neighbors:
              View
              others on page

              Occupation:
              Blacksmith

              Marital Status:
              Married

              Race:
              White

              Gender:
              Male

              Cannot read/write:

              Blind:

              Deaf
              and dumb:

              Otherwise disabled:

              Idiotic or insane:
              View
              image

              Household Members:

              Name
              Age

              Ira
              E. Parsons
              49

              Elvira
              Parsons
              44

              Alonzo
              D. Parsons
              24

              Charles
              Parsons
              19

              Frank
              Parsons
              15

              Cornelia
              A. Parsons
              14

              Lorin
              D. Parsons
              12

              Sarah
              J. Parsons
              8

              Arthur
              M. Parsons
              6

              Irene
              Parsons
              66

              "TinaS" <tolksteel@. ..> wrote:

              > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.

              > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!

              > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

              > Just waiting to help,

              > TolkSteel

            • Selena D
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2 10:47 PM
                Thank you all for the help that you sent...I didn't explain it well I guess, I should have said I didn't know what happened to Hiram or Daniel Parsons after the 1840 census, Irene, their mother seems to have moved in with Ira, her eldest...but again, thanks for the incredibly quick responses...

              • tenmans38@aol.com
                Message 7 of 23 , May 3 11:04 AM
                  Ok I need some help.
                  I am looking for my Great great Grandpa George Thompson.
                  He was born in Kentucky in about 1820 (but I suspect it was
                  10 or 11 years earlier).His wife's name unknown was from Ohio.
                  They had a son named Harrison B (Benjamin) Thompson born
                  Jan 22 1835 in Kentucky.The death certificates of some of Harrison
                  oldest children (including my grandpa) place them at Clarksville
                  Missouri when they were born. I have seen it listed on the Mormon
                  pedigree (which always has the births at least 10 to 11 years off
                  but gets most of the few deaths dates right)that George Thompson
                  was buried in centenary cem,Ralls Mo.

                  Early Sunday morning I located that cemetery web site (I am posting
                  it below) and found one of Harrison's sons and wife posted as well
                  as one of his Daughter's and her husband thru photographs posted.
                  I saw no listing of George Thompson but he should be there. Would
                  it be possible to ask them and maybe even get birth and death dates
                  of my grandpa who likely was born around 1809 or 1810?
                  Please check out the link below.

                  Mike

                  _Centernary Cem Ralls Co Missouri album | Iowaz iowaz @ swbell.net |
                  Fotki.com_
                  (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/)

                  Posted by: "TinaS"
                  We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                  genealogy brickwalls.

                  Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                  wall!!

                  Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                  help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

                  Just waiting to help,
                  TolkSteel

                • Carol
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3 5:39 PM
                    Hi,

                    Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                    current brick wall.

                    What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                    (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois

                    Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                    Cavalry.

                    What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                    Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.

                    His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.

                    If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.

                    Carol

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 23 , May 3 7:34 PM
                      I am going to finally ask for some help. My paternal grandfather is supposed to be Horace A. Davis, born in R.I., or PA on 20 Aug 1853. . He is listed in numerous census reports as being born in both. The problem is that I cannot find him in any records other than the census reports, birth, marriage, or death and that seems impossible. He was married to a Ada/Adeline/Addie/Adda J. Bean according to the family Bible on 04 Mar 1875, I have that she was born in NY in 1860 and died in NY 18 Oct 1930. He supposedly died in Mar 1940. Can anyone find any of these records anywhere? I really do not feel that I can take this line further until I am positive of these facts and have at least one piece of conclusive proof. Thank you so much...Marsha

                    • Robin McClure
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 3 10:03 PM
                        Hi Carol,
                        I noticed a few resources at FamilySearch Wiki are being added to the Hancock
                        County Illinois
                        <https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hancock_County,_Illinois>page. If
                        you click on the Family History Library Catalog link under
                        websites, select vital records, you will find this resource which can be
                        order at a local FHC:
                        Birth certificates, death records, marriage records, applications for
                        marriage licenses,
                        1829-1947<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=196973&disp=Birth+certificates%2C+death+records%2C+m>
                        Hancock County (Illinois). County Clerk

                        I also found some other interesting items which I do not know if you have
                        seen:
                        1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
                        Name: Montraville Geletls
                        [Montraville Gelette]
                        <javascript:TGN.Ancestry.Search.Orem.DoOrem(32890260)> Home
                        in 1880: Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail, Minnesota Age: 36 Estimated birth
                        year: abt 1844 Birthplace: Illinois Relation to Head of Household: Self
                        (Head) Spouse's name: Mary S. Father's birthplace: New York Mother's
                        birthplace: New York Neighbors: Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married
                        Race: White Gender: Male
                        Cannot read/write:

                        Blind:

                        Deaf and dumb:

                        Otherwise disabled:

                        Idiotic or insane:
                        <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=view&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MNT9_629-0007&fn=Montraville&ln=Geletls&st=r&ssrc=&pid=32890260>

                        Household Members: Name Age Montraville
                        Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890260>
                        36 Mary S. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=48071728>
                        30 Rebecca E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890261>
                        9 Eleonora Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228514>
                        8 Montraville Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228587>
                        4 Rosa Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279680>
                        2 Bertha E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279819>
                        9M George Restorff<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890042>
                        20
                        Also please confirm: 1895
                        Census<http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&surname=gelette>

                        and check these databases:
                        http://www.genealogyplace.com/surnames/g06261112.html

                        US 1850 Census 7years old Montivelle Gillet:
                        http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#searchType=close&birthYear=1844&birthPlaceId=14&birthPlaceLoc1=Illinois%2C%20United%20States&surname=gilette&p=recordResults

                        1840 US Census Gillette in Hancock County Illinois:
                        View Record Name Residence
                        (City,County,State) View Image
                        Saml Gillett Hancock, Illinois
                        <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=4411225_00980&fn=Saml&ln=Gillett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=3084906>

                        Truman Gillett

                        Hancock, Illinois

                        Sincerely,
                        Robin

                        On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Carol <minisntrees@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                        > current brick wall.
                        >
                        > What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                        > (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois
                        >
                        > Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                        > Cavalry.
                        >
                        > What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                        > Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.
                        >
                        > His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.
                        >
                        > If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.
                        >
                        > Carol
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > From: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > [mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>]
                        > On Behalf Of TinaS
                        >
                        > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                        > genealogy brickwalls.
                        >
                        > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                        > wall!!
                        >
                        > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                        > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
                        >
                        > Just waiting to help,
                        > TolkSteel

                        > 04:34:00

                        About Me:
                        http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
                        Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
                        Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
                        LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
                        Robin's Family History Store:
                        http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

                        Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
                        Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
                        Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

                      • Arlene Miles
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 4 9:39 AM
                          Have you tried GenWeb for the two states you mentioned? You should check FamilySearch.org also.
                           Arlene

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 4 11:21 AM
                            I have checked FamilySearch.org and there is nothing. I am going to look at GenWeb. Kate found the list of burials for quite a few of my family on Rootsweb so that is a huge help too. Thanks to all for helping me with this stumbling block...Marsha

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 7 1:42 PM
                              One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                              http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=27994&CScn=centen&CScntry=4&CSst=26&
                              and if you know that he was buried there, you can create a memorial and
                              request a photo.

                              Good Luck!
                              Stacey Olsen

                            • tenmans38@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 10 6:15 PM
                                Thanks Stacey,
                                I did email that website I had posted before for help and this was the
                                response.

                                ====If George Thompson is buried in Centenary it is an unmarked grave and
                                in the Thompson plot area.

                                ====I would have taken pics of all marked Thompson markers on that visit
                                as one of my main NE Iowa lines is the Thompson's out of Harford.Co.MD. I
                                was trying to find a connection to the NE Iowa and NE MO Thompson's for a
                                long time so was/am always on the lookout for Thompson material. Plus the
                                Thompson's were some of the very first white settlers in Pike and Ralls Co's.

                                So as you can see I came up with nothing.:-(
                                I have wondered if there might be a Library close by there that
                                would have a record of his death. Maybe even as a newspaper
                                listing.But its to far away for me to reach. Maybe if I could find
                                someone there (even a Library) that would offer to help me.
                                This means I would have to also hope that a Library close by
                                would have a death listing (that a volunteer took the time to make)
                                of people that died in the 1800's. My Library does for those years.
                                The death listing would say something like this:George Thompson
                                (after finding it listed under the T's for-or Thompson) died on month
                                in 18?? and is posted in this local newspaper on that date.Then
                                that person looking at a roll of newspaper (for that month and year)
                                film would go to that dates listings.The obit should list a wife (if
                                living)
                                and all living siblings. Harrison (or Benjamin)would be a sibling and
                                any others would be new info.Now if I could just find one volunteer
                                that lived in that area to do all that for a weekend or two.What hope is
                                there of that?Maybe if there was a genealogy group in that area?
                                I will check out the link you posted maybe I could talk to someone
                                else who knows something there.

                                Mike

                                Posted by: "Stacey Olsen"
                                One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                                _http://www.findagrahttp://www.http://www.http://&CRid=CRid=&CScn=CScn=<&CSc
                                ntry=C&CSst=26&_

                                (_http://public.http://pubhttp://publihttp://public.<Whttp://publhttp://pu_
                                (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/) )