Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Okay -- try this brick wall!

  • Joseph
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 30, 2010
      OK, here's a real brick wall that I've been trying to break for nearly
      40 years....

      My grandmother was Mary Elizabeth Sponsler. But that was her adoptive
      name. She was born in August 10, 1895.

      She was adopted in 1900 by Samuel Hamilton Sponsler, and Mary E. Munshour.

      My grandmother told me that there were two names she knew of for her
      parents. One was Pittinger and one was Furry... or something similar
      to that. When she told me, I'd written them as close as I could to what
      she said. She wasn't sure which was her father's name and which was her
      mother's maiden name.

      She was not in the 1900 census under any of these names that I know of.
      She had other siblings, quite a few of them as I recall, which was
      probably why they gave up some of them. Too poor to keep them, maybe.

      So, can anyone assist in getting Mary Elizabeth Sponsler's biological
      parent's names?

      Like I said, this is really a brick wall. In fact, I would venture to
      say, this is the Bull Shoals (AR) Dam.

      Joseph
    • Robin McClure
      Message 2 of 23 , May 1, 2010
        Here are some resources for Turkey for all you who may be trying to break
        this brick wall:
        Family History Library Catalog:
        Turkey<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=localitydetails&subject=196&subject_disp=Turkey&columns=*,0,0>

        and

        Turkey Helpful Websites<https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Turkey_Helpful_Websites>at
        FamilySearch Wiki

        Good luck!

        On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Bonnee Caplan <bonneec1@...> wrote:

        > Lazar Caplan was born about 1834 in Turkey (then the Ottoman Empire) by
        > accident. His father was a representative of the German government to
        > Turkey. He came to the U.S. in about 1865/66. He married Mary Dux who was
        > from Europe -- probably Austria (her sister Sarah apparently came over with
        > her and she married James Rosenfeld). Lazar and Mary got married on Oct. 5,
        > 1872. They went into business in Alaska as a general store in Sitka. We
        > think Lazar died in about 1885 in Sitka. Okay now you know what we know,
        > good luck. I hope you find something -- I've been trying for a looonnnggg
        > time!
        >
        > Bonnee CapLan
        >
        > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
        > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Post a Genealogy Brickwall!!
        > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 9:31 AM
        >

        > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
        > genealogy brickwalls.
        >
        > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
        > wall!!
        >
        > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
        > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
        >
        > Just waiting to help,
        >
        > TolkSteel

        About Me:
        http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
        Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
        Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
        LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
        Robin's Family History Store:
        http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

        Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
        Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
        Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

      • Robin McClure
        Message 3 of 23 , May 1, 2010
          Hi Michelle,
          If you search by the surname only of Stalvey at the
          SCDAH<http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/search.aspx>online
          index, you will find records which can be accessed there. Some are
          available online. You may also try the alternate spelling(s).

          Not all records are indexed here, so it is possible the SCDAH may have more
          records which are on microfilm or in books.

          Sincerely,
          Robin

          On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Michelle <michelles_moments@...>wrote:

          > My ancestry can be traced to Peter Stalvey born in 1720 in Georgetown Dist,
          > South Carolina, USA, but we can't seem to find out who his parents were or
          > where they came from.
          >
          > There is speculation of a different last name (possibly Stalvior or
          > Stolvare) and the rumors of where he came from include Germany, Russia or
          > even French huguenots (sp?)
          >
          > If anyone can shed light on this or have any suggestions, I would greatly
          > appreciate it!
          >

          > Michelle
          >

          > --- On Fri, 4/30/10, TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: TinaS <tolksteel@... <tolksteel%40yahoo.com>>
          > Subject: [Genealogy Research Club] Post a Genealogy Brickwall!!
          > To: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Friday, April 30, 2010, 12:31 PM
          >

          > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
          > genealogy brickwalls.
          >
          > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
          > wall!!
          >
          > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
          > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
          >
          > Just waiting to help,
          > TolkSteel

          About Me:
          http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
          Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
          Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
          LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
          Robin's Family History Store:
          http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

          Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
          Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
          Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

        • Traci Roberts
          Message 4 of 23 , May 2, 2010
            Here's my brickwall: my grandfather!

            Charley Josiah Roberts
            b: 12 Jan 1875, Houston, Perry Co. Ga
            m. Mattie Lou Tomlin/Tumlin
                b: 25 April 1885, Richland, Stewart Co, Ga
            d: 22 Nov. 1941, Moultrie, Colquitt Co., Ga

            I THINK I have his parents - William R. Roberts and Martha Henry, but cannot find any verification.

            My father did not not know any names of relatives, only called them Grandma, Grandpa, etc.

            Any help will be so appreciated!

            Traci in Texas

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 23 , May 2, 2010
              Hi there,
              I am looking for any information on my great grandmother Katherine Eva TWOMBLY(TWOMBLEY) b.1874 in Massachuetts, d.1937, York,Maine(I assume). On the 1930 federal census she is still listed in York,Maine. She was married to William S. Parsons, b.1865,Maine, d.1937,Maine.One of my great grandmothers was supposed to be Penobscot, but the records were burned in a fire quite a while back,so no looking there and the tribe was wiped out mainly due to marrying out.The other wall has been for an Ira E PARSONS, William's father, I know his mother was Irene,b.about 1810ish, and they lived in the Dover and Orono, Maine area before moving to York County, Maine.Ira was born about 1836, Dover, Maine and had two younger brothers, Daniel and Hiram, but I find absolutely nothing on them after the 1840 census. Any info that can be given would be great.Thanks...

              Kelley Parsons-Gibson

              "TinaS" <tolksteel@...> wrote:

              > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.
              >
              > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!
              >
              > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
              >
              > Just waiting to help,
              > TolkSteel

            • Kate
              Message 6 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                1850 United States Federal Census

                Name:
                Ira E Parsons

                Age:
                20

                Estimated birth year:
                abt 1830

                Birth Place:
                Maine

                Gender:
                Male

                Home in 1850 (City,County,State):
                Dover, Piscataquis, Maine

                Family Number:
                175

                Household Members:

                Name
                Age

                Ira
                E Parsons
                20

                Irene
                Parsons
                40

                Hiram
                Parsons
                14

                Daniel
                Parsons
                16

                Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Dover, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M432_267;
                Page: 286B; Image: 220.1860 United States Federal Census

                Name:
                Ira E Parsons

                Age in 1860:
                32

                Birth Year:
                abt 1828

                Birthplace:
                Maine

                Home in 1860:
                Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine

                Gender:
                Male

                Post Office:
                South Atkinson

                Value of real estate:
                View
                image

                Household Members:

                Name
                Age

                Ira
                E Parsons
                32

                Alvina
                Parsons
                26

                Susan
                C Parsons
                6

                Alonzo
                Parsons
                3

                Frederic
                Parsons
                2

                Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Atkinson, Piscataquis, Maine; Roll  M653_433;
                Page: 775; Image: 19; Family History Library Film: 803433.1870 United States Federal Census

                Name:
                Ira E Parsons

                Birth Year:
                abt 1832

                Age in 1870:
                38

                Birthplace:
                Maine

                Home in 1870:
                Orono, Penobscot, Maine

                Race:
                White

                Gender:
                Male

                Value of real estate:
                View
                image

                Post Office:
                Orono

                Household Members:

                Name
                Age

                Ira
                E Parsons
                38

                Evina
                Parsons
                34

                Alonzo
                Parsons
                14

                Fred
                Parsons
                12

                Charles
                Parsons
                10

                William
                Parsons
                8

                Frank
                Parsons
                6

                Kinelia
                Parsons
                4

                Irene
                Parsons
                65

                Source Citation: Year: 1870; Census Place: Orono, Penobscot, Maine; Roll  M593_555;
                Page: 353A; Image: 230; Family History Library Film: 552054.1880 United States Federal Census

                Name:
                Ira E. Parsons

                Home in 1880:
                Orono, Penobscot, Maine

                Age:
                49

                Estimated birth year:
                abt 1831

                Birthplace:
                Maine

                Relation to Head of Household:
                Self (Head)

                Spouse's name:
                Elvira

                Father's birthplace:
                Maine

                Mother's Name:
                Irene

                Mother's birthplace:
                Maine

                Neighbors:
                View
                others on page

                Occupation:
                Blacksmith

                Marital Status:
                Married

                Race:
                White

                Gender:
                Male

                Cannot read/write:

                Blind:

                Deaf
                and dumb:

                Otherwise disabled:

                Idiotic or insane:
                View
                image

                Household Members:

                Name
                Age

                Ira
                E. Parsons
                49

                Elvira
                Parsons
                44

                Alonzo
                D. Parsons
                24

                Charles
                Parsons
                19

                Frank
                Parsons
                15

                Cornelia
                A. Parsons
                14

                Lorin
                D. Parsons
                12

                Sarah
                J. Parsons
                8

                Arthur
                M. Parsons
                6

                Irene
                Parsons
                66

                "TinaS" <tolksteel@. ..> wrote:

                > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those genealogy brickwalls.

                > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that wall!!

                > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

                > Just waiting to help,

                > TolkSteel

              • Selena D
                Message 7 of 23 , May 2, 2010
                  Thank you all for the help that you sent...I didn't explain it well I guess, I should have said I didn't know what happened to Hiram or Daniel Parsons after the 1840 census, Irene, their mother seems to have moved in with Ira, her eldest...but again, thanks for the incredibly quick responses...

                • tenmans38@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                    Ok I need some help.
                    I am looking for my Great great Grandpa George Thompson.
                    He was born in Kentucky in about 1820 (but I suspect it was
                    10 or 11 years earlier).His wife's name unknown was from Ohio.
                    They had a son named Harrison B (Benjamin) Thompson born
                    Jan 22 1835 in Kentucky.The death certificates of some of Harrison
                    oldest children (including my grandpa) place them at Clarksville
                    Missouri when they were born. I have seen it listed on the Mormon
                    pedigree (which always has the births at least 10 to 11 years off
                    but gets most of the few deaths dates right)that George Thompson
                    was buried in centenary cem,Ralls Mo.

                    Early Sunday morning I located that cemetery web site (I am posting
                    it below) and found one of Harrison's sons and wife posted as well
                    as one of his Daughter's and her husband thru photographs posted.
                    I saw no listing of George Thompson but he should be there. Would
                    it be possible to ask them and maybe even get birth and death dates
                    of my grandpa who likely was born around 1809 or 1810?
                    Please check out the link below.

                    Mike

                    _Centernary Cem Ralls Co Missouri album | Iowaz iowaz @ swbell.net |
                    Fotki.com_
                    (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/)

                    Posted by: "TinaS"
                    We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                    genealogy brickwalls.

                    Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                    wall!!

                    Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                    help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.

                    Just waiting to help,
                    TolkSteel

                  • Carol
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                      Hi,

                      Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                      current brick wall.

                      What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                      (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois

                      Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                      Cavalry.

                      What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                      Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.

                      His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.

                      If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.

                      Carol

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                        I am going to finally ask for some help. My paternal grandfather is supposed to be Horace A. Davis, born in R.I., or PA on 20 Aug 1853. . He is listed in numerous census reports as being born in both. The problem is that I cannot find him in any records other than the census reports, birth, marriage, or death and that seems impossible. He was married to a Ada/Adeline/Addie/Adda J. Bean according to the family Bible on 04 Mar 1875, I have that she was born in NY in 1860 and died in NY 18 Oct 1930. He supposedly died in Mar 1940. Can anyone find any of these records anywhere? I really do not feel that I can take this line further until I am positive of these facts and have at least one piece of conclusive proof. Thank you so much...Marsha

                      • Robin McClure
                        Message 11 of 23 , May 3, 2010
                          Hi Carol,
                          I noticed a few resources at FamilySearch Wiki are being added to the Hancock
                          County Illinois
                          <https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hancock_County,_Illinois>page. If
                          you click on the Family History Library Catalog link under
                          websites, select vital records, you will find this resource which can be
                          order at a local FHC:
                          Birth certificates, death records, marriage records, applications for
                          marriage licenses,
                          1829-1947<http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=196973&disp=Birth+certificates%2C+death+records%2C+m>
                          Hancock County (Illinois). County Clerk

                          I also found some other interesting items which I do not know if you have
                          seen:
                          1880 United States Federal Census 1880 United States Federal Census
                          Name: Montraville Geletls
                          [Montraville Gelette]
                          <javascript:TGN.Ancestry.Search.Orem.DoOrem(32890260)> Home
                          in 1880: Parkers Prairie, Otter Tail, Minnesota Age: 36 Estimated birth
                          year: abt 1844 Birthplace: Illinois Relation to Head of Household: Self
                          (Head) Spouse's name: Mary S. Father's birthplace: New York Mother's
                          birthplace: New York Neighbors: Occupation: Farmer Marital Status: Married
                          Race: White Gender: Male
                          Cannot read/write:

                          Blind:

                          Deaf and dumb:

                          Otherwise disabled:

                          Idiotic or insane:
                          <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=view&r=an&dbid=6742&iid=MNT9_629-0007&fn=Montraville&ln=Geletls&st=r&ssrc=&pid=32890260>

                          Household Members: Name Age Montraville
                          Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890260>
                          36 Mary S. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=48071728>
                          30 Rebecca E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890261>
                          9 Eleonora Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228514>
                          8 Montraville Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=33228587>
                          4 Rosa Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279680>
                          2 Bertha E. Geletls<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=24279819>
                          9M George Restorff<http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=1880usfedcen&indiv=try&h=32890042>
                          20
                          Also please confirm: 1895
                          Census<http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&searchType=close&surname=gelette>

                          and check these databases:
                          http://www.genealogyplace.com/surnames/g06261112.html

                          US 1850 Census 7years old Montivelle Gillet:
                          http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#searchType=close&birthYear=1844&birthPlaceId=14&birthPlaceLoc1=Illinois%2C%20United%20States&surname=gilette&p=recordResults

                          1840 US Census Gillette in Hancock County Illinois:
                          View Record Name Residence
                          (City,County,State) View Image
                          Saml Gillett Hancock, Illinois
                          <http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8057&iid=4411225_00980&fn=Saml&ln=Gillett&st=d&ssrc=&pid=3084906>

                          Truman Gillett

                          Hancock, Illinois

                          Sincerely,
                          Robin

                          On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Carol <minisntrees@...> wrote:

                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > Thank you for the offer to help! My great grandfather's parents are my
                          > current brick wall.
                          >
                          > What I do know about my grgrandfather: GELETTE, Montraville William
                          > (or Willard) birth: 18/05/1844 Warsaw, Hancock, County., Illinois
                          >
                          > Enlisted on union side: La Crosse, WI, 20/12/1863 Company I, 2nd. WI
                          > Cavalry.
                          >
                          > What Montraville states on his pension papers is that he resided in Britts
                          > Landing, WI, prior to or at the time of his enlistment.
                          >
                          > His parents MAY be GELETTE, Reuben and Lydia.
                          >
                          > If I can provide any more info, please let me kow.
                          >
                          > Carol
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > From: genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > [mailto:genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com<genealogyresearchclub%40yahoogroups.com>]
                          > On Behalf Of TinaS
                          >
                          > We have had some great sucess lately with helping people break down those
                          > genealogy brickwalls.
                          >
                          > Post all relevant information and let's see if we can help you break that
                          > wall!!
                          >
                          > Remember, do not just post names. Include dates and places so that we can
                          > help you. just names does not help us locate anyone.
                          >
                          > Just waiting to help,
                          > TolkSteel

                          > 04:34:00

                          About Me:
                          http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories
                          Heritage Makers Business: http://heritagemakers.com/171733
                          Latest Book: http://bit.ly/Eyes2See
                          LinkedIn Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/robin-mcclure/20/8b6/992
                          Robin's Family History Store:
                          http://astore.amazon.com/savistor-20?_encoding=UTF8&node=1

                          Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
                          Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
                          Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

                        • Arlene Miles
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                            Have you tried GenWeb for the two states you mentioned? You should check FamilySearch.org also.
                             Arlene

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 23 , May 4, 2010
                              I have checked FamilySearch.org and there is nothing. I am going to look at GenWeb. Kate found the list of burials for quite a few of my family on Rootsweb so that is a huge help too. Thanks to all for helping me with this stumbling block...Marsha

                              Message 14 of 23 , May 7, 2010
                                One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                                http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=27994&CScn=centen&CScntry=4&CSst=26&
                                and if you know that he was buried there, you can create a memorial and
                                request a photo.

                                Good Luck!
                                Stacey Olsen

                              • tenmans38@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 10, 2010
                                  Thanks Stacey,
                                  I did email that website I had posted before for help and this was the
                                  response.

                                  ====If George Thompson is buried in Centenary it is an unmarked grave and
                                  in the Thompson plot area.

                                  ====I would have taken pics of all marked Thompson markers on that visit
                                  as one of my main NE Iowa lines is the Thompson's out of Harford.Co.MD. I
                                  was trying to find a connection to the NE Iowa and NE MO Thompson's for a
                                  long time so was/am always on the lookout for Thompson material. Plus the
                                  Thompson's were some of the very first white settlers in Pike and Ralls Co's.

                                  So as you can see I came up with nothing.:-(
                                  I have wondered if there might be a Library close by there that
                                  would have a record of his death. Maybe even as a newspaper
                                  listing.But its to far away for me to reach. Maybe if I could find
                                  someone there (even a Library) that would offer to help me.
                                  This means I would have to also hope that a Library close by
                                  would have a death listing (that a volunteer took the time to make)
                                  of people that died in the 1800's. My Library does for those years.
                                  The death listing would say something like this:George Thompson
                                  (after finding it listed under the T's for-or Thompson) died on month
                                  in 18?? and is posted in this local newspaper on that date.Then
                                  that person looking at a roll of newspaper (for that month and year)
                                  film would go to that dates listings.The obit should list a wife (if
                                  living)
                                  and all living siblings. Harrison (or Benjamin)would be a sibling and
                                  any others would be new info.Now if I could just find one volunteer
                                  that lived in that area to do all that for a weekend or two.What hope is
                                  there of that?Maybe if there was a genealogy group in that area?
                                  I will check out the link you posted maybe I could talk to someone
                                  else who knows something there.

                                  Mike

                                  Posted by: "Stacey Olsen"
                                  One way you could request information about this cemetery is to go to
                                  _http://www.findagrahttp://www.http://www.http://&CRid=CRid=&CScn=CScn=<&CSc
                                  ntry=C&CSst=26&_

                                  (_http://public.http://pubhttp://publihttp://public.<Whttp://publhttp://pu_
                                  (http://public.fotki.com/iowaz/ralls-county-missouri/centernary-cem-rall/) )