Advice on a Robinson brick-wall ?

  • uzzk23a
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 2:38 PM
      I'm searching for the parents of:

      James Madison Robinson
      born: July 1854 in New York
      occupation: builder in New York City
      father born: New York
      mother born: New York

      wife: Elizabeth Catheryn Briggs
      married: about 1885
      born: Jan 1854
      father born: England
      mother born: Ireland

      son: Emmet Lloyd Robinson b: 6 Nov 1883
      son: Herbert Haines Robinson b: Jul 1888
      dau: May Robinson b: May 1890
      son: John Robinson b: ?

      I found them in the 1900 Census.

      I have been searching for marriage or death records, obituaries, newspaper mentions ... anything that might mention their parents, but have found nothing.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Craig Robinson
    • Robin McClure
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2010
        Hello Craig,
        You may want to take a look at this marriage record at Record Search:
        James M. B. Robinson and Elizabeth C. Lloyd on 10 Jan 1883.
        <http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordimage&c=fs:1680847&r=r_657772509&pn=p4>

        You may want to also search the other New York collections at this site.

        Best of Luck!
        Robin

        --
        About Me:
        http://www.google.com/profiles/robin.savingstories

        Grow Your family Tree With FamilySearch Products!
        Forums (My Profile): http://forums.familysearch.org/en/member.php?u=88
        Wiki: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Main_Page

      • uzzk23a
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2010
          Robin:

          Thank You !!!!! I'm about 85% inclined to believe that this *is* the correct record !!

          The discrepancies:
          1) James & Elizabeth's 1900 Census answers had them married for 15
          years, which would place the wedding ABT 1885.
          They also listed a 16 year old son - a scandalous thing to admit
          at that time (Unless their math was just off a bit).
          The marriage record you found (18 Jan 1883) + a 9 month pregnancy
          *would* square things nicely !

          2) I have a photo of Elizabeth.
          Elizabeth's son (I think) wrote on the back: "Elizabeth
          Catheryn Briggs"
          If this record is the right one, "Briggs" is from his side of the
          family, not hers !?? That's what had me stymied / ignoring
          Elizabeth Lloyd as a possible spouse. Yet there *are* a lot of
          "Lloyd"s among their descendants.

          With the record you found, I did find all 4 parents of James &
          Elizabeth in the Census. They have the correct kids, and their
          countries of birth agree with the answers James & Elizabeth gave in
          the 1900 Census - so that is a positive.

          What would you do ? Would you accept this ?
          What clued you to not get hung up on the last name of Briggs, like I
          did ?
          (I'm trying to learn here !)

          Also, try as I might, I could not find this record via ancestry.com
          - so I learned that I really need to do the same search in multiple
          places.

          Thanks again !!!!!
          Craig

          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2010
            Hi Craig,
            You are welcome. I think the thing that makes this a strong possibility
            would be that I noticed the Elizabeth on the marriage certificate's last
            name is Lloyd and the Elizabeth you are looking for named her first son
            Emmet Lloyd...and many times the first son would carry the maiden name of
            the mother.

            That in addition to the marriage date and the fact that when I used
            pilot.familysearch.org to manipulate the search engine using the criteria
            you gave I could only find one James married to an Elizabeth. James M. B.
            just stuck out.

            Of course I would not accept this right away. I would proceed to search out
            the death certificates of each of the known children of this couple. I
            would also look for any who lived to draw Social Security and order the
            original applications. I would also use the New York Collections at Record
            Search to locate any other type records which are there (marriage).
            Search engines sometimes are tricky. Try using different data and using the
            least amoutn as possible. Look for other records such as church records.
            Go to wiki.familysearch.org and search on the state of New York to see any
            other known records that may exist.

            Search out the children of the parents on the marriage certificate to
            confirm. Check these resources often because 1000's of images/indexes are
            being added each month.

            There is a great possibility you will discover more.

            Sincerely,
            Robin