Re: [Genealogy Research Club] Re: Wishful Thinking

  • Mark Rabideau
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2010
      Hi Joy et al,

      I know this reply could set me up as a target for criticism but I will
      share my thoughts and adventure anyway.

      To start, I think we should generally be kind, by that I mean generous
      of spirit, to ourselves and others. Most of the errors creep into our
      genealogies (much as you described). They tend to become insidious when
      people take the easy path and do not heed warning signs or take the time
      to analyze data before using it.

      People in their eagerness to do good things with their genealogy often
      run with data before the data is scrubbed or ready for prime-time. For
      instance, I use ancestry.com as one of my main work areas, not as the
      location for storage of my finished products. People who use my
      ancestry.com data run the risk of getting incomplete or inaccurate
      data... there's almost no way for anyone to know that except for me to
      tell them. Yet, I am certain that folks download materials from
      ancestry.com trees.

      Genealogy involves tracking a lot of data, analyzing it, getting it peer
      reviewed (if you are lucky). But even the best laid plans hit snags. I
      am writing a tale about my last adventure, for anyone interested it is
      published here:
      http://many-roads.com/2010/04/29/another-genealogy-adventure-part-1/

      It happens to all of us.

      Pax Vobiscum,