Dorthea Sophia Zabel Wakeshau County Wisconsin

  • r_c_boss
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2010
      I have got this one gg-grandmother who is becoming a burr in my side. What has been found on her so far. Dorthea Sophia (she went by Sophia) Zabel was born in Doelitx, Pommerrainy, German on September 24, 1835. Her parents were Christian Zabel and Anna Stresemann. She immigrated to the U.S. in 1858. Records have her marrying John Sommerville in Summit Wisconsin on October 12, 1860. This is where it becomes very confusing but interesting. John had been married to a Janet Armstrong. Janet was listed on the federal 1860 census (their sheet is date JKune 20, 1869). There is a dependent father's Civil War pention application that John filled out dated August 9, 1876 where John state that Janet died in Oconomowoc Wisconsin in May 1860. The state historical society, local and state library and the county and state genealogical societies have all turned up nothing on her death at all. The state historical society does turn up the record of John and Sophia getting married though. Their wedding was even performed by a Presbyterian ministry named Enos Montague. On som,e other documents at the marriage of Sophia's daughter Augusta Louise it mentions that Augusta's mother had married John Sommerville making him her step-father. In the federal 1860 census for Oconomowoc just above the Sommerville family (on the same page) there looks to be a 'sable' family. There is a Louise at 2 years old and a Christian at 60 years old. They are both in the home of a Frederic. That was a name for one of Sophia's brothers. Now the big question.. there is no notice of So[phia untill she got mattied. There has been nothing found on her from the immigration record until she married John. So what happened? Did she marry or just have a child out of wedlock? What happened to Janet? The only mention ever found on her is the note on the application John completed.

      Anyone have idea's or want a .ittlt challenge?

      Thanks

      Bob