Bake

  • patriciaasling
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18, 2010
      I am looking for the marriage of Fenton Bake, born 1847-1850, in Knaresborough, Yorkshire, England to Martha Wiltshire b 1850-1852, England. Also, there are a number of births listed from 1842- 1852 from the same town. Could they have been siblings of Fenton? His parents were Thomas and Hannah (or Anna). They immigrated to Canada, living in Toronto where a daughter Martha Elizabeth was born in 1873. Help would be appreciated from anyone with access to British records.
    • Dawn Bennink
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2010
        This was a bit of a journey.

        I found a public tree with a Fenton Bake, born 1848 in Knaresborough, died
        in 1915 in Toronto, but married to Catharine E. Clark (on 6 Jun 1899, btw).

        There is also a Canada marriage record to match this for Fenton Bake
        (parents Hannah & Thomas Bake) and Catherine E. Melville (parents William &
        Rebecca Clark). As they were 50 & 60, one might think a second marriage?
        Or would it be a third marriage?

        There is another marriage for Fenton Bake (1850 in England, occupation
        farmer, of Lutterworth at marriage, son of Thomas & Anne Bake), to Ann
        Aeling (as transcribed, although it looks like Asling to me and that would,
        of course, match your name, age 18, born in Mariposa, of Anson at marriage,
        the daughter of Frederick and Jane Asling). The marriage was 2 Dec 1880 in
        Fenelow Falls.

        I find a Fenton Bake (b. abt 1848) in the 1851 and 1861 census in Wetherby,
        Yorkshire, living with his parents Thomas and Hannah. In 1851, the family
        includes his sister Elizabeth, b. 1850. By 1861, the family adds William
        (1852), Mary Ann (1855), Thomas W (1859), and Gideon H (1861, age 1 month).
        There is also a male apprentice Bartholomew Hey. Thomas was a Joiner and
        House Carpenter.

        Do you have these two pages?

        The next time I find a Fenton Bake, it is in 1881, with Ann Elizabeth, age
        19, living in Lutterworth, Victoria North, Ontario. Both show as married
        and from England. It would make sense that this would be Ann from the
        marriage in 1880.

        I found was a BMD record for Fenton Bake, birth registered 1Q 1848 in
        Knaresborough, Yorkshire.

        Lastly, I find a death record for Fenton Bake for 16 May 1915 in York,
        Ontario. This indicates he was born in England. He was a widower and a
        carpenter who died of Hypostatic congestion of lungs due to Chronic
        Bronchitis. The address at death was Toronto Jail. Does that make any
        sense to you?

        I decided to look for Martha Elizabeth next. I find a tree showing her
        parents to be Fenton Bake & Martha Wilsher (sic). That led me to the 1891
        census where she is living in Yorkshire with her paternal grandparents and
        1901 where she is a domestic nurse, still living with her grandparents.
        That tree holds a copy of her birth registration. The tree also shows the
        marriage of Martha & Fenton as "unproven." Also attached is a death record
        for Martha Bake (b. England, age 66, d. 22 Aug 1916 in Toronto General
        Hospital. It lists her as a widow and her father as Joseph Wilsher.

        This same tree gives marriages for Fenton Bake to Catherine E Clark and
        Eliza Ann Asling.

        Lastly, there are siblings in this tree. They are the same except that
        Thomas is missing and there is an Edmund P. Bake (b. 1864).

        There are two private trees as well.

        So ... bottom line after all that? No, I cannot find a marriage record, and
        what I found may be what you already had, although you do not list the
        records you have so I don't know. Heck, one of these could be YOUR tree!
        That has happened to me when I've researched for others! :oD

        If any of this is of interest to you, just let me know. I'd also be happy
        to write to the tree owners and give them your email address to ask if they
        would contact you, if you so desire.

        Dawn