ireland ggrandfather

  • Peggie C
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9, 2010
      my ggrandfather came over in 1863 from ireland. patrick m murray was b in 1834, his wife was esther kelleher b 1830. patrick m murray father was john murray b 1729, his wife was catherine glancy b 1790. i have all of patrick m murray that liveds here. what i want to know is more about the murray that liveds in ireland,also want to know who esther kelleher parents were. [also] esther kelleher was called elizabeth and essy sometimes. i dont know nothing about john murray or his wife c. glancy. would like to know who parents were. how can i do this.
    • circa_1948
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 9, 2010
        first a comment, then suggestions...

        Most my lines on both my paternal and maternal sides are Irish. It's hard to research Irish genealogy as Irish records have a few problems.

        For one, the Tipperary Clans Office had a bit of trouble with the records depository in 1916.

        There was also the suppression of the Catholic faith in earlier times.

        Another problem with records was the Customs House fire during the civil war, and another fire in 1900.

        The first reliable (Irish) census is actually from 1890 on; the powers that be took until then to actually decide that the Irish were in fact human beings worth counting. There are memos back and forwards from the Irish Civil Service to it's counterpart in London, where they argue about the point of counting Irish.

        Many people researching their history in Ireland come up against appalling records, the legacy of penal days, the upheaval of the famine years, the destruction of records in the fin de siecle era (generally years 1890 to 1914 ), and that's just a few examples.

        Here are some Links for your research.

        http://www.ulsterheritage.com/ "All Things Ulster" A great website that has wonderful information of Northern Ireland.

        http://www.ulsterheritage.com/ Irish Townland Maps.

        http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/6587/celtic.html Lots if Irish Info here from a fellow Irish Researcher.

        http://www.men-in-kilts.com/mill-text/clan-name-index-b.html Clan/Surname Listing. "Men In Kilts"

        http://www.tartans.scotland.net/ Scottish-Irish search for your family Tartan

        http://www.ulsterancestry.com/forums/ Ulster Ancestry Discussion Forum

        http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/migrate/pass2.html A great site for links to Irish links

        http://ulsterancestry.com/ulster_townlands_by_county.html Northern Ireland - County By County Search.

        http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/ Passenger Listings

        http://genealogy.about.com/od/records/?nl=1 Databases & Record Links for your research

        http://www.nls.uk/maps/early/blaeu/index.html National Library of Scotland

        http://www.ancestryireland.com/index.php Irish Genealogy Research Site

        http://www.genealogybranches.com/irishpassengerlists/ Irish Immigration Research Site

        http://irelandgenealogyprojects.rootsweb.com/ Irish Genealogy Project - has the Irish counties listed & links for research

        http://irishnewspaperarchives.com/ Largest Irish Newspaper Archive

        http://ireland.progenealogists.com/ Irish Genealogy Research Tools & Resources

        http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/freeholders_records.htm Freeholders or 'Land Owners' that registered to vote & who they cast their votes for listings.

        http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/immigration/passenger-arrival.html National Archives for Immigration

        http://www.irishorigins.com/

        http://www.genealogylinks.net/uk/index.html 5000 UK Genealogy Links

        http://www.dwalker.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ScottishCensusRecords.htm Scottish Census Records

        SUNNY

        my ggrandfather came over in 1863 from ireland. patrick m murray was b in 1834, his wife was esther kelleher b 1830. patrick m murray father was john murray b 1729, his wife was catherine glancy b 1790. i have all of patrick m murray that liveds here. what i want to know is more about the murray that liveds in ireland,also want to know who esther kelleher parents were. [also] esther kelleher was called elizabeth and essy sometimes. i dont know nothing about john murray or his wife c. glancy. would like to know who parents were. how can i do this.

      • Peggie Culbertson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 10, 2010
          than you for helping me. i wishi could go to ireland but no money . i have severval roads stopper and cant find then. ty

[...]

          Many sites are posted here as well http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Candyman/ search posts for keywords IRELAND and IRISH

          SUNNY

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2010
            you can post some names/dates and see if members have same..
            sunny