Re: InfoHelp:Shaver(shaver town,NY)&Colorino(brooklyn,NY)

  • Joy Weaver
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
      HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
      Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.

      Joy Weaver

      --
      You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
    • Pamela Curry
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
        I know, thanks. Go there quite often. & Tom is great. He's alway's right on the ball. So glad he's part of this group. Now only if I could solve the mystery of My grandmother and her family Rena Elizabeth Sodan. What a time that is. Didn't relize how complicated some people could be. I have her marriage record and tried contacting Livingston Manor, Ny's town clerk for her birth as thats what she had listed as place of birth but surprise, it's not there. Confusing, Thanks guys for all your help.

        HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
        Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.

        Joy Weaver

        --
        You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
          Joy -

          So maybe Delaware County has it's own Middletown -

          using query 1910 NEW YORK, DELAWARE, MIDDLETOWN: has 3,914 names;
          using query 1910 NEW YORK, ORANGE, MIDDLETOWN: has 15,322 names.

          I'm looking at the 1910 census image right now (the Perry Shaver household, indexed as "Beny Sharar"), and the image reads (Image 38 of 41)
          STATE New York
          COUNTY Delaware
          TOWNSHIP Middletown town
          (actually, it looks like "Middtown town" on that page)

          You can enter MIDDLETOWN,DELAWARE,NY into GoogleMaps -
          it's near Margaretville;
          or approximately 65 miles southwest of Albany,
          or approximately 80 car-miles north of Middletown,Orange,NY -
          <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=middletown,delaware,ny&daddr=middletown,orange,ny&geocode=FU9zgwIdhIiN-ykNplYmYmDciTE2N5vU_GTK_w%3BFSdqeAIdamWQ-ynT84mfxDLDiTFiyUxoBbuiSQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=41.808173,-74.621887&sspn=0.896694,1.051941&ie=UTF8&ll=41.808173,-74.605408&spn=0.896694,1.051941&z=9>

          I'm still not finding a MARGARET CALARINO in New York -
          but then again, the first name Margaret could be
          Margie or Maggie or Peggie or Peggy or something else (like Mary)
          (personal story - my grandmother's birthname was Margaret, but she was sometimes identified as Mary)

          BTW - there *are* CALARINO surname found in Brooklyn.

          Do you have any dates (birth, death, approximate) for Margaret?
          Using the SSDI for MARG* SHAVER, there are two obvious possibles:
          Margaret Shaver b. 18 Mar 1909
          - d. Feb 1978 Downsville, Delaware, New York
          Marguerite Shaver b. 25 Jan 1909
          - d. Nov 1975 Wurtsboro, Sullivan, New York
          but there are several other possibilities in the SSDI
          (assuming that she is even *in* the SSDI).

          Also - would you happen to know if Margaret Calarino was born here (U.S.) or if she was an immigrant? (If an immigrant, she would not necessarily be in the 1930 census.)

          Sullivan County Democrat, online edition
          - March 14, 2000
          http://www.sc-democrat.com/archives/2000/obits/03March/2000_0314.htm
          William H. Shaver
          Ret. Lawnskeeper, 90
          William H. Shaver of Liberty, a lifelong area resident who had his own business of taking care of lawns for many years, died Friday, March 10, 2000, at the Sullivan County Adult Care Center in Liberty. He was 90 years of age.
          The son of the late Perry and Marguerite Sturdevant Shaver, he was born May 14, 1909, in Arena.
          Mr. Shaver was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Army.
          He is survived by his wife, Margaret Calarino Shaver of White Sulphur Springs; three sons, William Shaver Jr. of Belton, S.C., and Richard Shaver and Raymond Shaver, both of White Sulphur Springs; a daughter, Sharon Davis of Delhi; a brother, Glenford Shaver of Bloomingburg; a sister, Doris Manchester of Long Pond, Pa.; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by a son, Perry, a brother, Leo, and a sister, Thelma Marshall.
          Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Ramsay's Funeral Home, 275 S. Main St., Liberty, with the Rev. Kenneth Ford officiating.
          Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
          Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

          I'll send more if I find more.

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@...> wrote:

          > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
          > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
          >
          > Joy Weaver
          >
          > --
          > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
          > ------------------------
          > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
          > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches./Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.
        • Pamela Curry
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
            Thanks Tom, You have been a real help to me. =)

> [...]

            Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
            Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

            I'll send more if I find more.

            - Tom Knox

            --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@.. .> wrote:

            > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
            > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
            >
            > Joy Weaver
            >
            > --
            > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
            > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
            > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches. /Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.

          • Joy
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
              Tom, that never occurred to me. Two counties fairly close to each other with towns by the same name didn't seem at all likely. It looks, on a modern map, like the one in Delaware Co. is a Town (Township), while the one in Orange Co. is a City in the Town of Wallkill. Thanks for the education!

              Joy