Re:InfoHelp:Shaver(shaver town,NY)&Colorino(brooklyn,NY)

  • Dana Hager
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
      Dear Mama Dukes,

      This sounds like a great project for your niece. There is a
      great deal of information that is missing.

      I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
      Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
      year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
      for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
      Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
      think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
      by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
      in advance.

      From the information that you have supplied we have:

      William SHAVER b. 05/10/?? d Sullivan, NY

      Married

      Margeret COLORINO b. unknown Brooklyn NY

      Siblings of Margeret COLORINO: Mike COLORINO, Joshepine COLORINO and
      Angelina COLORINO.

      The additional information that we need at least would be:

      1. Is the SHAVER surname the maternal line or paternal line? You have
      gone back 3 generation with no information in between.

      2. Do you have any information on Margeret birth date? Also could the
      spelling of her name be Margaret.

      3. You have spelled William two ways. Is it William or Willam?

      4. With the brother, Mike COLORINO, is his name Michael, Mike, or is
      that his middle name?

      5. William shows to have died in Sullivan, NY. Do you know the date?

      6. Have you talked to other family members to gain other information?

      Hope this helps you out.

      Dana Hager

    • Pamela Curry
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
        This sounds like a great project for your niece. There is a
        great deal of information that is missing.

        I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
        Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
        year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
        for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
        Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
        think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
        by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
        in advance.

        From the information that you have supplied we have:

        William SHAVER b. 05/10/?? d Sullivan, NY

        Married

        Margeret COLORINO b. unknown Brooklyn NY

        Siblings of Margeret COLORINO: Mike COLORINO, Joshepine COLORINO and
        Angelina COLORINO.

        The additional information that we need at least would be:

        1. Is the SHAVER surname the maternal line or paternal line? You have
        gone back 3 generation with no information in between. children are Sharon, William, Raymond & Richard

        2. Do you have any information on Margeret birth date? Also could the
        spelling of her name be Margaret. Sorry I dont, My sister dont hear to much on her paternal side unfortunatly

        3. You have spelled William two ways. Is it William or Willam? William

        4. With the brother, Mike COLORINO, is his name Michael, Mike, or is
        that his middle name?first name Michael, believe to be still alive

        5. William shows to have died in Sullivan, NY. Do you know the date? Dont remember In the 80's

        6. Have you talked to other family members to gain other information? Tried but Their daugher too was looking to research and was shocked by my phone call. Now she is motivated too. =)

        Hope this helps you out.

        Dana Hager

      • Pamela Curry
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
          Sorry, the correct spelling is Calarino and Williams Memorial Card does say 5/14/1909 for birth and death was 3/10/2000.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
            HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
            Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.

            Joy Weaver

            --
            You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
          • Pamela Curry
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
              I know, thanks. Go there quite often. & Tom is great. He's alway's right on the ball. So glad he's part of this group. Now only if I could solve the mystery of My grandmother and her family Rena Elizabeth Sodan. What a time that is. Didn't relize how complicated some people could be. I have her marriage record and tried contacting Livingston Manor, Ny's town clerk for her birth as thats what she had listed as place of birth but surprise, it's not there. Confusing, Thanks guys for all your help.

              HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
              Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.

              Joy Weaver

              --
              You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB

            • Bloodhound; Kermit
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
                Joy -

                So maybe Delaware County has it's own Middletown -

                using query 1910 NEW YORK, DELAWARE, MIDDLETOWN: has 3,914 names;
                using query 1910 NEW YORK, ORANGE, MIDDLETOWN: has 15,322 names.

                I'm looking at the 1910 census image right now (the Perry Shaver household, indexed as "Beny Sharar"), and the image reads (Image 38 of 41)
                STATE New York
                COUNTY Delaware
                TOWNSHIP Middletown town
                (actually, it looks like "Middtown town" on that page)

                You can enter MIDDLETOWN,DELAWARE,NY into GoogleMaps -
                it's near Margaretville;
                or approximately 65 miles southwest of Albany,
                or approximately 80 car-miles north of Middletown,Orange,NY -
                <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=middletown,delaware,ny&daddr=middletown,orange,ny&geocode=FU9zgwIdhIiN-ykNplYmYmDciTE2N5vU_GTK_w%3BFSdqeAIdamWQ-ynT84mfxDLDiTFiyUxoBbuiSQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=41.808173,-74.621887&sspn=0.896694,1.051941&ie=UTF8&ll=41.808173,-74.605408&spn=0.896694,1.051941&z=9>

                I'm still not finding a MARGARET CALARINO in New York -
                but then again, the first name Margaret could be
                Margie or Maggie or Peggie or Peggy or something else (like Mary)
                (personal story - my grandmother's birthname was Margaret, but she was sometimes identified as Mary)

                BTW - there *are* CALARINO surname found in Brooklyn.

                Do you have any dates (birth, death, approximate) for Margaret?
                Using the SSDI for MARG* SHAVER, there are two obvious possibles:
                Margaret Shaver b. 18 Mar 1909
                - d. Feb 1978 Downsville, Delaware, New York
                Marguerite Shaver b. 25 Jan 1909
                - d. Nov 1975 Wurtsboro, Sullivan, New York
                but there are several other possibilities in the SSDI
                (assuming that she is even *in* the SSDI).

                Also - would you happen to know if Margaret Calarino was born here (U.S.) or if she was an immigrant? (If an immigrant, she would not necessarily be in the 1930 census.)

                Sullivan County Democrat, online edition
                - March 14, 2000
                http://www.sc-democrat.com/archives/2000/obits/03March/2000_0314.htm
                William H. Shaver
                Ret. Lawnskeeper, 90
                William H. Shaver of Liberty, a lifelong area resident who had his own business of taking care of lawns for many years, died Friday, March 10, 2000, at the Sullivan County Adult Care Center in Liberty. He was 90 years of age.
                The son of the late Perry and Marguerite Sturdevant Shaver, he was born May 14, 1909, in Arena.
                Mr. Shaver was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Army.
                He is survived by his wife, Margaret Calarino Shaver of White Sulphur Springs; three sons, William Shaver Jr. of Belton, S.C., and Richard Shaver and Raymond Shaver, both of White Sulphur Springs; a daughter, Sharon Davis of Delhi; a brother, Glenford Shaver of Bloomingburg; a sister, Doris Manchester of Long Pond, Pa.; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by a son, Perry, a brother, Leo, and a sister, Thelma Marshall.
                Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Ramsay's Funeral Home, 275 S. Main St., Liberty, with the Rev. Kenneth Ford officiating.
                Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
                Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

                I'll send more if I find more.

                - Tom Knox

                --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@...> wrote:

                > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
                >
                > Joy Weaver
                >
                > --
                > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                > ------------------------
                > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
                > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches./Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.
              • Pamela Curry
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
                  Thanks Tom, You have been a real help to me. =)

> [...]

                  Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
                  Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

                  I'll send more if I find more.

                  - Tom Knox

                  --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@.. .> wrote:

                  > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                  > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
                  >
                  > Joy Weaver
                  >
                  > --
                  > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                  > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
                  > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches. /Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.

                • Joy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
                    Tom, that never occurred to me. Two counties fairly close to each other with towns by the same name didn't seem at all likely. It looks, on a modern map, like the one in Delaware Co. is a Town (Township), while the one in Orange Co. is a City in the Town of Wallkill. Thanks for the education!

                    Joy