Re: [Genealogy Research Club] InfoHelp:Shaver(shaver town,NY)&Colorino(brooklyn,NY)

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3 6:19 PM
      I did a quick search and didn't see anything on the Great Grandmother with
      my Ancestry.com account. There are quite a few individuals with the name of
      William Shaver in the Social Security Death Index. That would give you more
      info on where/when he was born and when he died. (There are a variety of
      places that will let you search through the SSDI)

      Rachel

      I will not drink Greek Coffee at 9PM -- me
      "Everything about my family is strange." -- Miss. Parker
      How Much Trouble Could I Get Into.... - Me
      "This is my life Jackie, it�s not fun, it�s not smart, it�s just standing up
      and make a decision because no one else will� � The 9th Doctor
      "It is like Godzilla vs Bambi and we are Bambi" - Unknown person

      On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Mama Dukes <daddysgirl712000@...>wrote:

      > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
      > Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
      > year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
      > for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
      > Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
      > think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
      > by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
      > in advance.

    • Bloodhound; Kermit
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3 8:01 PM
        Hi -

        I'm not finding that surname COLORINO -
        are you sure about the spelling?

        Re: William Shaver - is this him?
        Social Security Death Index
        Name: William Shaver
        SSN: 114-09-0791 issued: New York (Before 1951)
        Last Residence: 12787 White Sulphur Springs, Sullivan, New York
        Born: 14 May 1909 - Died: 10 Mar 2000

        U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006
        Name: William H Shaver
        Service Info.: TEC 4 US ARMY WORLD WAR II
        Birth Date: 14 May 1909
        Death Date: 10 Mar 2000
        Cemetery: Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery
        Cemetery Address: Infirmary Road Maintenance Dpw Building Liberty, NY 12754

        Assuming that this is the correct William SHAVER -

        U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 2
        Name: William H Shaver - Birth Date: 14 May 1909
        Address: Po Box 55, Swan Lake, NY 12783-0055

        This is probably the same William -
        U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
        Name: William H Shaver
        Birth Year: 1909
        Race: White, citizen (White)
        Nativity State or Country: New York
        State of Residence: New York
        County or City: Orange
        Enlistment Date: 15 Dec 1945
        Enlistment State: Washington
        Enlistment City: Fort Lewis
        Branch: No branch assignment
        Branch Code: No branch assignment
        Grade: Technician 5th Grade
        Grade Code: Technician 5th Grade Equivalent to Grade 6: Corporal
        Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
        Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
        Source: Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC
        Education: Grammar school
        Civil Occupation: Camp attendants
        Marital Status: Single, without dependents
        Height: 73
        Weight: 590

        No guarantees, but these look like they connect to your William -
        1930 Andes, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
        address: Beech Hill Road
        Shaver, Perry D, head 42 widowed Farmer
        (), William H, son 20 Laborer Highway,
        (), Looyd V/18, Leo B/14, Thelma B/12, Glenford P/8, Doris L/4
        Sturdevant, Belle, mother-in-law 73 widow
        Vandermark, Betty, servant 19 married at age 16
        NOTE: yes, strange spelling on Lloyd

        1920 Rockland, Sullivan, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
        address: DeBruce Road
        Shaver, Perry D, head 31 married Blacksmith
        (), Florence C, wife 29 married
        (), William H/10, Wloyd V/8, Leo B/4+8m, Thelma B/1+9m
        Sturdevant, Bell, mother-in-law 63 widow
        NOTE: yes, a different strange spelling on Lloyd

        1910 Middletown, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
        Shaver, Perry, head 23 married.1(once) 2 yrs Farmer, Dairy Farm
        (), Florence, wife 20 married.1 2 yrs 1 child 1 living
        (), William H, son 11m
        Sturganh(?), Bella, mother-in-law 48 widow 7 children 6 living
        NOTE: indexed at Ancestry.com as "Beny Sharar"

        Name: Perry Dellen Shaver
        address: Arena, New York
        Birthplace: Andes, New York, U.S.A.
        Birth Date: 21 Jun 1887
        Race: Caucasian (White)
        Occupation: Teamster, Risley Lumber Co, Arena, New York
        Married, Wife + 3 children under 12 yrs
        FHL Roll Number: 1712301
        DraftBoard: 1
        Registered: June 5, 1917
        County: Delaware
        State: New York

        Social Security Death Index
        Name: Perry Shaver
        SSN: 111-09-9757 issued: New York (Before 1951)
        Last Residence: 12790 Wurtsboro, Sullivan, New York
        Born: 21 Jun 1887 - Died: May 1972

        1900 Andes Town, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
        Shaver, Harley, head 45 married 14 yrs born Aug 1854 Farmer
        (), Lillie R, wife 36 married 14 yrs born Feby 1864
        - 6 children 6 living
        (), Pery D, son 12 born June 1887
        (), Gladys/11, Rosetta/15, Velma J/8, Alexander L/6, Lula M/9m

        1910 Andes town, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
        Shaver, Harley/55/widowed/farmer, Gladys M/26, Velma J/18,
        (), Alexander L/15, Lily M/10, Lucy A/8
        Keesler, Rose/dau/20, William/sin-in-law/23, married 0 yrs

        1880 Andes, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
        Shaver, Delen C/61/farmer, Sarah A/46
        (), Harley/26, William/20, Hattie/16
        NOTE: looks like Perry's middle name came from his grandfather

        1870 Andes, Delaware, New York
        Shaver, Delen C/47, Sarah A/38, Hannah J/24,
        (), Harley/10, Reath W/14/male, William/9, Hattie/5

        two RootsWeb WorldConnect family trees on Delen C SHAVER
        <http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=Search&includedb=&lang=en&ti=&surname=SHAVER&stype=Exact&given=DEL*&bplace=&byear=&brange=0&dplace=&dyear=&drange=0&mplace=&myear=&mrange=0&father=&mother=&spouse=SAR*&skipdb=&period=All&submit.x=Search>

        - Tom Knox

        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks in advance.

      • mdeweygardner
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4 8:33 AM
          I found a William Shaver who died in Sullivan, NY, but way before your time... perhaps a connection?: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=33754&id=I0310

          You might play a little on http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com and try spelling variations. However, if the people you're looking for were born after 1930, chances are they won't be listed.

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks in advance.

        • Dana Hager
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4 10:17 AM
            Dear Mama Dukes,

            This sounds like a great project for your niece. There is a
            great deal of information that is missing.

            I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
            Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
            year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
            for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
            Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
            think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
            by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
            in advance.

            From the information that you have supplied we have:

            William SHAVER b. 05/10/?? d Sullivan, NY

            Married

            Margeret COLORINO b. unknown Brooklyn NY

            Siblings of Margeret COLORINO: Mike COLORINO, Joshepine COLORINO and
            Angelina COLORINO.

            The additional information that we need at least would be:

            1. Is the SHAVER surname the maternal line or paternal line? You have
            gone back 3 generation with no information in between.

            2. Do you have any information on Margeret birth date? Also could the
            spelling of her name be Margaret.

            3. You have spelled William two ways. Is it William or Willam?

            4. With the brother, Mike COLORINO, is his name Michael, Mike, or is
            that his middle name?

            5. William shows to have died in Sullivan, NY. Do you know the date?

            6. Have you talked to other family members to gain other information?

            Hope this helps you out.

            Dana Hager

          • Pamela Curry
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4 5:13 PM
              This sounds like a great project for your niece. There is a
              great deal of information that is missing.

              I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
              Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
              year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
              for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
              Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
              think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
              by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
              in advance.

              From the information that you have supplied we have:

              William SHAVER b. 05/10/?? d Sullivan, NY

              Married

              Margeret COLORINO b. unknown Brooklyn NY

              Siblings of Margeret COLORINO: Mike COLORINO, Joshepine COLORINO and
              Angelina COLORINO.

              The additional information that we need at least would be:

              1. Is the SHAVER surname the maternal line or paternal line? You have
              gone back 3 generation with no information in between. children are Sharon, William, Raymond & Richard

              2. Do you have any information on Margeret birth date? Also could the
              spelling of her name be Margaret. Sorry I dont, My sister dont hear to much on her paternal side unfortunatly

              3. You have spelled William two ways. Is it William or Willam? William

              4. With the brother, Mike COLORINO, is his name Michael, Mike, or is
              that his middle name?first name Michael, believe to be still alive

              5. William shows to have died in Sullivan, NY. Do you know the date? Dont remember In the 80's

              6. Have you talked to other family members to gain other information? Tried but Their daugher too was looking to research and was shocked by my phone call. Now she is motivated too. =)

              Hope this helps you out.

              Dana Hager

            • Pamela Curry
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4 5:36 PM
                Sorry, the correct spelling is Calarino and Williams Memorial Card does say 5/14/1909 for birth and death was 3/10/2000.

> [...]

                - Tom Knox

                --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@ ...> wrote:

                > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks in advance.

              • Joy Weaver
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5 4:50 AM
                  HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                  Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.

                  Joy Weaver

                  --
                  You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                • Pamela Curry
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 5 5:00 AM
                    I know, thanks. Go there quite often. & Tom is great. He's alway's right on the ball. So glad he's part of this group. Now only if I could solve the mystery of My grandmother and her family Rena Elizabeth Sodan. What a time that is. Didn't relize how complicated some people could be. I have her marriage record and tried contacting Livingston Manor, Ny's town clerk for her birth as thats what she had listed as place of birth but surprise, it's not there. Confusing, Thanks guys for all your help.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 5 2:24 PM
                      Joy -

                      So maybe Delaware County has it's own Middletown -

                      using query 1910 NEW YORK, DELAWARE, MIDDLETOWN: has 3,914 names;
                      using query 1910 NEW YORK, ORANGE, MIDDLETOWN: has 15,322 names.

                      I'm looking at the 1910 census image right now (the Perry Shaver household, indexed as "Beny Sharar"), and the image reads (Image 38 of 41)
                      STATE New York
                      COUNTY Delaware
                      TOWNSHIP Middletown town
                      (actually, it looks like "Middtown town" on that page)

                      You can enter MIDDLETOWN,DELAWARE,NY into GoogleMaps -
                      it's near Margaretville;
                      or approximately 65 miles southwest of Albany,
                      or approximately 80 car-miles north of Middletown,Orange,NY -
                      <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=middletown,delaware,ny&daddr=middletown,orange,ny&geocode=FU9zgwIdhIiN-ykNplYmYmDciTE2N5vU_GTK_w%3BFSdqeAIdamWQ-ynT84mfxDLDiTFiyUxoBbuiSQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=41.808173,-74.621887&sspn=0.896694,1.051941&ie=UTF8&ll=41.808173,-74.605408&spn=0.896694,1.051941&z=9>

                      I'm still not finding a MARGARET CALARINO in New York -
                      but then again, the first name Margaret could be
                      Margie or Maggie or Peggie or Peggy or something else (like Mary)
                      (personal story - my grandmother's birthname was Margaret, but she was sometimes identified as Mary)

                      BTW - there *are* CALARINO surname found in Brooklyn.

                      Do you have any dates (birth, death, approximate) for Margaret?
                      Using the SSDI for MARG* SHAVER, there are two obvious possibles:
                      Margaret Shaver b. 18 Mar 1909
                      - d. Feb 1978 Downsville, Delaware, New York
                      Marguerite Shaver b. 25 Jan 1909
                      - d. Nov 1975 Wurtsboro, Sullivan, New York
                      but there are several other possibilities in the SSDI
                      (assuming that she is even *in* the SSDI).

                      Also - would you happen to know if Margaret Calarino was born here (U.S.) or if she was an immigrant? (If an immigrant, she would not necessarily be in the 1930 census.)

                      Sullivan County Democrat, online edition
                      - March 14, 2000
                      http://www.sc-democrat.com/archives/2000/obits/03March/2000_0314.htm
                      William H. Shaver
                      Ret. Lawnskeeper, 90
                      William H. Shaver of Liberty, a lifelong area resident who had his own business of taking care of lawns for many years, died Friday, March 10, 2000, at the Sullivan County Adult Care Center in Liberty. He was 90 years of age.
                      The son of the late Perry and Marguerite Sturdevant Shaver, he was born May 14, 1909, in Arena.
                      Mr. Shaver was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Army.
                      He is survived by his wife, Margaret Calarino Shaver of White Sulphur Springs; three sons, William Shaver Jr. of Belton, S.C., and Richard Shaver and Raymond Shaver, both of White Sulphur Springs; a daughter, Sharon Davis of Delhi; a brother, Glenford Shaver of Bloomingburg; a sister, Doris Manchester of Long Pond, Pa.; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by a son, Perry, a brother, Leo, and a sister, Thelma Marshall.
                      Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Ramsay's Funeral Home, 275 S. Main St., Liberty, with the Rev. Kenneth Ford officiating.
                      Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
                      Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

                      I'll send more if I find more.

                      - Tom Knox

                      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@...> wrote:

                      > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                      > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
                      >
                      > Joy Weaver
                      >
                      > --
                      > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                      > ------------------------
                      > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
                      > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches./Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.
                    • Pamela Curry
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 5 6:04 PM
                        Thanks Tom, You have been a real help to me. =)

> [...]

                        Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
                        Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

                        I'll send more if I find more.

                        - Tom Knox

                        --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@.. .> wrote:

                        > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                        > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
                        >
                        > Joy Weaver
                        >
                        > --
                        > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                        > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
                        > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches. /Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.

                      • Joy
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 6 5:21 AM
                          Tom, that never occurred to me. Two counties fairly close to each other with towns by the same name didn't seem at all likely. It looks, on a modern map, like the one in Delaware Co. is a Town (Township), while the one in Orange Co. is a City in the Town of Wallkill. Thanks for the education!

                          Joy