InfoHelp:Shaver(shaver town,NY)&Colorino(brooklyn,NY)

  • Mama Dukes
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 3, 2010
      I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks in advance.
    • Rachel
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 3, 2010
        I did a quick search and didn't see anything on the Great Grandmother with
        my Ancestry.com account. There are quite a few individuals with the name of
        William Shaver in the Social Security Death Index. That would give you more
        info on where/when he was born and when he died. (There are a variety of
        places that will let you search through the SSDI)

        Rachel

        I will not drink Greek Coffee at 9PM -- me
        "Everything about my family is strange." -- Miss. Parker
        How Much Trouble Could I Get Into.... - Me
        "This is my life Jackie, it�s not fun, it�s not smart, it�s just standing up
        and make a decision because no one else will� � The 9th Doctor
        "It is like Godzilla vs Bambi and we are Bambi" - Unknown person

        On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Mama Dukes <daddysgirl712000@...>wrote:

        > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
        > Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
        > year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
        > for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
        > Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
        > think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
        > by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
        > in advance.

      • Bloodhound; Kermit
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 3, 2010
          Hi -

          I'm not finding that surname COLORINO -
          are you sure about the spelling?

          Re: William Shaver - is this him?
          Social Security Death Index
          Name: William Shaver
          SSN: 114-09-0791 issued: New York (Before 1951)
          Last Residence: 12787 White Sulphur Springs, Sullivan, New York
          Born: 14 May 1909 - Died: 10 Mar 2000

          U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006
          Name: William H Shaver
          Service Info.: TEC 4 US ARMY WORLD WAR II
          Birth Date: 14 May 1909
          Death Date: 10 Mar 2000
          Cemetery: Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery
          Cemetery Address: Infirmary Road Maintenance Dpw Building Liberty, NY 12754

          Assuming that this is the correct William SHAVER -

          U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 2
          Name: William H Shaver - Birth Date: 14 May 1909
          Address: Po Box 55, Swan Lake, NY 12783-0055

          This is probably the same William -
          U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
          Name: William H Shaver
          Birth Year: 1909
          Race: White, citizen (White)
          Nativity State or Country: New York
          State of Residence: New York
          County or City: Orange
          Enlistment Date: 15 Dec 1945
          Enlistment State: Washington
          Enlistment City: Fort Lewis
          Branch: No branch assignment
          Branch Code: No branch assignment
          Grade: Technician 5th Grade
          Grade Code: Technician 5th Grade Equivalent to Grade 6: Corporal
          Term of Enlistment: One year enlistment
          Component: Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
          Source: Enlisted Man, Philippine Scout or recall to AD of an enlisted man who had been transferred to the ERC
          Education: Grammar school
          Civil Occupation: Camp attendants
          Marital Status: Single, without dependents
          Height: 73
          Weight: 590

          No guarantees, but these look like they connect to your William -
          1930 Andes, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
          address: Beech Hill Road
          Shaver, Perry D, head 42 widowed Farmer
          (), William H, son 20 Laborer Highway,
          (), Looyd V/18, Leo B/14, Thelma B/12, Glenford P/8, Doris L/4
          Sturdevant, Belle, mother-in-law 73 widow
          Vandermark, Betty, servant 19 married at age 16
          NOTE: yes, strange spelling on Lloyd

          1920 Rockland, Sullivan, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
          address: DeBruce Road
          Shaver, Perry D, head 31 married Blacksmith
          (), Florence C, wife 29 married
          (), William H/10, Wloyd V/8, Leo B/4+8m, Thelma B/1+9m
          Sturdevant, Bell, mother-in-law 63 widow
          NOTE: yes, a different strange spelling on Lloyd

          1910 Middletown, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
          Shaver, Perry, head 23 married.1(once) 2 yrs Farmer, Dairy Farm
          (), Florence, wife 20 married.1 2 yrs 1 child 1 living
          (), William H, son 11m
          Sturganh(?), Bella, mother-in-law 48 widow 7 children 6 living
          NOTE: indexed at Ancestry.com as "Beny Sharar"

          Name: Perry Dellen Shaver
          address: Arena, New York
          Birthplace: Andes, New York, U.S.A.
          Birth Date: 21 Jun 1887
          Race: Caucasian (White)
          Occupation: Teamster, Risley Lumber Co, Arena, New York
          Married, Wife + 3 children under 12 yrs
          FHL Roll Number: 1712301
          DraftBoard: 1
          Registered: June 5, 1917
          County: Delaware
          State: New York

          Social Security Death Index
          Name: Perry Shaver
          SSN: 111-09-9757 issued: New York (Before 1951)
          Last Residence: 12790 Wurtsboro, Sullivan, New York
          Born: 21 Jun 1887 - Died: May 1972

          1900 Andes Town, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
          Shaver, Harley, head 45 married 14 yrs born Aug 1854 Farmer
          (), Lillie R, wife 36 married 14 yrs born Feby 1864
          - 6 children 6 living
          (), Pery D, son 12 born June 1887
          (), Gladys/11, Rosetta/15, Velma J/8, Alexander L/6, Lula M/9m

          1910 Andes town, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
          Shaver, Harley/55/widowed/farmer, Gladys M/26, Velma J/18,
          (), Alexander L/15, Lily M/10, Lucy A/8
          Keesler, Rose/dau/20, William/sin-in-law/23, married 0 yrs

          1880 Andes, Delaware, New York (all marked as born PA:PA:PA)
          Shaver, Delen C/61/farmer, Sarah A/46
          (), Harley/26, William/20, Hattie/16
          NOTE: looks like Perry's middle name came from his grandfather

          1870 Andes, Delaware, New York
          Shaver, Delen C/47, Sarah A/38, Hannah J/24,
          (), Harley/10, Reath W/14/male, William/9, Hattie/5

          two RootsWeb WorldConnect family trees on Delen C SHAVER
          <http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=Search&includedb=&lang=en&ti=&surname=SHAVER&stype=Exact&given=DEL*&bplace=&byear=&brange=0&dplace=&dyear=&drange=0&mplace=&myear=&mrange=0&father=&mother=&spouse=SAR*&skipdb=&period=All&submit.x=Search>

          - Tom Knox

          --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks in advance.

        • mdeweygardner
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
            I found a William Shaver who died in Sullivan, NY, but way before your time... perhaps a connection?: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=33754&id=I0310

            You might play a little on http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com and try spelling variations. However, if the people you're looking for were born after 1930, chances are they won't be listed.

            --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@...> wrote:

            > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks in advance.

          • Dana Hager
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
              Dear Mama Dukes,

              This sounds like a great project for your niece. There is a
              great deal of information that is missing.

              I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
              Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
              year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
              for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
              Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
              think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
              by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
              in advance.

              From the information that you have supplied we have:

              William SHAVER b. 05/10/?? d Sullivan, NY

              Married

              Margeret COLORINO b. unknown Brooklyn NY

              Siblings of Margeret COLORINO: Mike COLORINO, Joshepine COLORINO and
              Angelina COLORINO.

              The additional information that we need at least would be:

              1. Is the SHAVER surname the maternal line or paternal line? You have
              gone back 3 generation with no information in between.

              2. Do you have any information on Margeret birth date? Also could the
              spelling of her name be Margaret.

              3. You have spelled William two ways. Is it William or Willam?

              4. With the brother, Mike COLORINO, is his name Michael, Mike, or is
              that his middle name?

              5. William shows to have died in Sullivan, NY. Do you know the date?

              6. Have you talked to other family members to gain other information?

              Hope this helps you out.

              Dana Hager

            • Pamela Curry
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
                This sounds like a great project for your niece. There is a
                great deal of information that is missing.

                I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her
                Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the
                year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say
                for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in
                Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i
                think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due
                by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks
                in advance.

                From the information that you have supplied we have:

                William SHAVER b. 05/10/?? d Sullivan, NY

                Married

                Margeret COLORINO b. unknown Brooklyn NY

                Siblings of Margeret COLORINO: Mike COLORINO, Joshepine COLORINO and
                Angelina COLORINO.

                The additional information that we need at least would be:

                1. Is the SHAVER surname the maternal line or paternal line? You have
                gone back 3 generation with no information in between. children are Sharon, William, Raymond & Richard

                2. Do you have any information on Margeret birth date? Also could the
                spelling of her name be Margaret. Sorry I dont, My sister dont hear to much on her paternal side unfortunatly

                3. You have spelled William two ways. Is it William or Willam? William

                4. With the brother, Mike COLORINO, is his name Michael, Mike, or is
                that his middle name?first name Michael, believe to be still alive

                5. William shows to have died in Sullivan, NY. Do you know the date? Dont remember In the 80's

                6. Have you talked to other family members to gain other information? Tried but Their daugher too was looking to research and was shocked by my phone call. Now she is motivated too. =)

                Hope this helps you out.

                Dana Hager

              • Pamela Curry
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 4, 2010
                  Sorry, the correct spelling is Calarino and Williams Memorial Card does say 5/14/1909 for birth and death was 3/10/2000.

> [...]

                  - Tom Knox

                  --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, "Mama Dukes" <daddysgirl712000@ ...> wrote:

                  > I'm trying to start a research for my 9yr old nieces school project. Her Great Grandfather is Willam Shaver & I know his birth is 5/10 not sure the year. I know that he was a veteran I believe was the korean war but cant say for sure. Her Great Grandmother is Margeret Colorino and she was born in Brooklyn Ny. She has a brother Mike and I believe two sisters Joshepine( i think ) and Angelina. Any ifo would be wonderful, her school project is due by the 8th. OH, and William Shaver died here in sullivan county, NY. Thanks in advance.

                • Joy Weaver
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
                    HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                    Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.

                    Joy Weaver

                    --
                    You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                  • Pamela Curry
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
                      I know, thanks. Go there quite often. & Tom is great. He's alway's right on the ball. So glad he's part of this group. Now only if I could solve the mystery of My grandmother and her family Rena Elizabeth Sodan. What a time that is. Didn't relize how complicated some people could be. I have her marriage record and tried contacting Livingston Manor, Ny's town clerk for her birth as thats what she had listed as place of birth but surprise, it's not there. Confusing, Thanks guys for all your help.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
                        Joy -

                        So maybe Delaware County has it's own Middletown -

                        using query 1910 NEW YORK, DELAWARE, MIDDLETOWN: has 3,914 names;
                        using query 1910 NEW YORK, ORANGE, MIDDLETOWN: has 15,322 names.

                        I'm looking at the 1910 census image right now (the Perry Shaver household, indexed as "Beny Sharar"), and the image reads (Image 38 of 41)
                        STATE New York
                        COUNTY Delaware
                        TOWNSHIP Middletown town
                        (actually, it looks like "Middtown town" on that page)

                        You can enter MIDDLETOWN,DELAWARE,NY into GoogleMaps -
                        it's near Margaretville;
                        or approximately 65 miles southwest of Albany,
                        or approximately 80 car-miles north of Middletown,Orange,NY -
                        <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=middletown,delaware,ny&daddr=middletown,orange,ny&geocode=FU9zgwIdhIiN-ykNplYmYmDciTE2N5vU_GTK_w%3BFSdqeAIdamWQ-ynT84mfxDLDiTFiyUxoBbuiSQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=41.808173,-74.621887&sspn=0.896694,1.051941&ie=UTF8&ll=41.808173,-74.605408&spn=0.896694,1.051941&z=9>

                        I'm still not finding a MARGARET CALARINO in New York -
                        but then again, the first name Margaret could be
                        Margie or Maggie or Peggie or Peggy or something else (like Mary)
                        (personal story - my grandmother's birthname was Margaret, but she was sometimes identified as Mary)

                        BTW - there *are* CALARINO surname found in Brooklyn.

                        Do you have any dates (birth, death, approximate) for Margaret?
                        Using the SSDI for MARG* SHAVER, there are two obvious possibles:
                        Margaret Shaver b. 18 Mar 1909
                        - d. Feb 1978 Downsville, Delaware, New York
                        Marguerite Shaver b. 25 Jan 1909
                        - d. Nov 1975 Wurtsboro, Sullivan, New York
                        but there are several other possibilities in the SSDI
                        (assuming that she is even *in* the SSDI).

                        Also - would you happen to know if Margaret Calarino was born here (U.S.) or if she was an immigrant? (If an immigrant, she would not necessarily be in the 1930 census.)

                        Sullivan County Democrat, online edition
                        - March 14, 2000
                        http://www.sc-democrat.com/archives/2000/obits/03March/2000_0314.htm
                        William H. Shaver
                        Ret. Lawnskeeper, 90
                        William H. Shaver of Liberty, a lifelong area resident who had his own business of taking care of lawns for many years, died Friday, March 10, 2000, at the Sullivan County Adult Care Center in Liberty. He was 90 years of age.
                        The son of the late Perry and Marguerite Sturdevant Shaver, he was born May 14, 1909, in Arena.
                        Mr. Shaver was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Army.
                        He is survived by his wife, Margaret Calarino Shaver of White Sulphur Springs; three sons, William Shaver Jr. of Belton, S.C., and Richard Shaver and Raymond Shaver, both of White Sulphur Springs; a daughter, Sharon Davis of Delhi; a brother, Glenford Shaver of Bloomingburg; a sister, Doris Manchester of Long Pond, Pa.; several grandchildren and great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by a son, Perry, a brother, Leo, and a sister, Thelma Marshall.
                        Services will be held at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Ramsay's Funeral Home, 275 S. Main St., Liberty, with the Rev. Kenneth Ford officiating.
                        Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
                        Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

                        I'll send more if I find more.

                        - Tom Knox

                        --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@...> wrote:

                        > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                        > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
                        >
                        > Joy Weaver
                        >
                        > --
                        > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                        > ------------------------
                        > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
                        > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches./Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.
                      • Pamela Curry
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010
                          Thanks Tom, You have been a real help to me. =)

> [...]

                          Interment will be made in the Sullivan County Veterans Cemetery in Liberty.
                          Memorial contributions may be made to the charity of one's choice.

                          I'll send more if I find more.

                          - Tom Knox

                          --- In genealogyresearchcl ub@yahoogroups. com, Joy Weaver <joyweave@.. .> wrote:

                          > HI-- One quick thing on what Tom Knox found (and terrific job, Tom!):
                          > Middletown is in Orange County, NY, not Delaware Co.
                          >
                          > Joy Weaver
                          >
                          > --
                          > You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails. YIDDISH PROVERB
                          > USA (northeast): Burnside, Green, Hallock, Head, Merritt, Morris, Palmer, Selden, Weaver./
                          > CANADA (ON/QC): Brown, Clark, Grant/ ENGLAND(Ches. /Lanc.): Hunt,Wall,Bradburn.

                        • Joy
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
                            Tom, that never occurred to me. Two counties fairly close to each other with towns by the same name didn't seem at all likely. It looks, on a modern map, like the one in Delaware Co. is a Town (Township), while the one in Orange Co. is a City in the Town of Wallkill. Thanks for the education!

                            Joy