Re: guidance needed with German research

  • Sharon G
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010
      --- In genealogyresearchclub@yahoogroups.com, "vickivinyl@..." <vickivinyl@...> wrote:

      > In Nov. 2010, we'll be visiting for the first time, in Germany, . We think the family may have been Roman Catholic, but are not sure. How can I narrow down my search?
      > Cindy Allen

      Cindy,

      you might also want to check to see if they were of the Lutheran faith. Many Germans became disenchanted with the Catholic church and became Lutherans.
    • Walter Palmer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2010

        > you might also want to check to see if they were of the Lutheran faith. Many Germans became disenchanted with the Catholic church and became Lutherans.

        Starting in 1520, I believe. ;-)

        Seriously, Northern Germans and Scandinavians (and the odd Englishman) tend to be Lutheran. Bavarians and Austrians tend to be Catholic.