CDs, FTM, and Other

  • fathergoose25
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      A question was posed about the value of CDs that come with some versions of the Familty Tree Maker (FTM) genealogy software. About 10 years ago, I bought a earlier version of FTM that came with about 10 CDs. I did find good information about my ancestors on them, but I found the shuffling in and out of the CDs to be a nuisance. More importantly, there is now so much information available on the Internet (most for free), I think the key question is what can you buy on CDs these days that you can't find on the Internet?

      There are 4-6 excellent genealogy programs out there. A few months back, I bought FTM 2010 (one of the better ones), primary because it was published by Ancestory.com, which I believe has one of the largest genealogy databases available. I thought that the combination of software and data from the same organization would be of value. So far, I've been very happy and feel that Ancestory.com has done an excellent job integrating the two. Arguably, the feature I like best is the ability to compare a person's information I found on the Internet with one already in my FTM file and merge them, data element by data element by only clicking buttons. Even source information is added to my FTM file without me having to type anything in. - - - I do not know if other excellent genealogy programs can do that or not. Perhaps other people in this group can comment. - - - In any event, I would suggest that if you've got the $30, that you get a copy of FTM 2010. (Again, I do not work for Ancestory.com or FTM and I don't benefit in any manner by suggesting that you do.

      Fathergoose25